Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

timing chain clicking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing chain clicking?

Im rebuilding a 350 from an 88 k2500 and i just put my timing gears and chain on (double chain from comp cams) and i wanted to make sure everything turned fine before installing my push rods. It would turn fine it would just make a clicking noise.... is that normal?

Also i guess cause its a double roller its rubbing on the timing cover how do i fix that? I couldnt imagine thatd be good do they make covers for double chains?
Old 07-23-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z28
Engine: Carburated small block 454
Transmission: Level 3 Raptor 700R4 2600 stall
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3:73 S Trac Posi
Re: timing chain clicking?

Originally Posted by CoryCDS
Im rebuilding a 350 from an 88 k2500 and i just put my timing gears and chain on (double chain from comp cams) and i wanted to make sure everything turned fine before installing my push rods. It would turn fine it would just make a clicking noise.... is that normal?

Also i guess cause its a double roller its rubbing on the timing cover how do i fix that? I couldnt imagine thatd be good do they make covers for double chains?
This is normal, it will quiet down after some engine oil gets to it.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by MSgt Luttrell
This is normal, it will quiet down after some engine oil gets to it.
I kinda assumed that i just wanted to make sure before going further and messing somethin up.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 383-Holley Terminator EFI
Transmission: 700R4 Pro-Built Street/Strip kit
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.55:1

It's not necessarily normal noise. Certainly NOT normal to be rubbing on the timing cover. Does it only click with the cover is on, or is it contacting something else? Some blocks will require clearancing just above the center oil galley plug for the timing gear and chain to clear it.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lurbie
It's not necessarily normal noise. Certainly NOT normal to be rubbing on the timing cover. Does it only click with the cover is on, or is it contacting something else? Some blocks will require clearancing just above the center oil galley plug for the timing gear and chain to clear it.
Its not loud clicking at all. And i ordered a timing cover that says it works with a double chain so i guess ill find out if that works
Old 07-29-2016, 05:11 AM

Ok im still looking for a timing cover thattle fit with my double row timing chain from comp..... ive seen a few timing covers thatll fit but they cost way more than im willing to pay. Im starting to say screw it and just get a single timing chain.

Do yall recommend any timing covers or any timing chains?
Old 07-29-2016, 07:17 AM

Ok im still looking for a timing cover thattle fit with my double row timing chain from comp..... ive seen a few timing covers thatll fit but they cost way more than im willing to pay. Im starting to say screw it and just get a single timing chain.

Do yall recommend any timing covers or any timing chains?
What's rubbing the cover? In my situation, I had ARP bolts that appear to have been designed with a large shoulder to hold a cam button and that meant that the bolt head was much taller. I wasn't using a cam button so I ended up buying grade 5 bolts from the hardware store and that resolved the rubbing I had. I can't find the receipt, but I bought a cheap chrome one from Summit Racing. It fit, but the bolts it came with were "special" had no shoulder, and dimpled the cover when torqued to GM specs so I won't recommend that.

Edited... I found the cover I bought. Adding the link so you know what not to get.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/spe-42353?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-spectre-performance&gclid=CPPb4JnXmM4CFQUMaQodcpAC1A
You'll see from the reviews that you don't want this one.

Last edited by Lurbie; 07-29-2016 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Added the part to avoid
Old 07-29-2016, 10:01 AM

The chain itself is rubbing the cover
Old 07-31-2016, 11:39 AM

Still cant figure anything out. Can i just get a thicker gasket or what. Im not paying 200 for a timing cover thats ridiculous if thats what i gotta do im just gonna order a single chain set
Old 07-31-2016, 01:00 PM

Still cant figure anything out. Can i just get a thicker gasket or what. Im not paying 200 for a timing cover thats ridiculous if thats what i gotta do im just gonna order a single chain set
A thicker gasket probably doesn't exist because that would prevent the cover from lining up with the oil pan. I get that covers are expensive, that's why I stayed with the crappy one I have. Have you chatted with Summit or Jegs? There are cheaper options than $200.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lurbie
A thicker gasket probably doesn't exist because that would prevent the cover from lining up with the oil pan. I get that covers are expensive, that's why I stayed with the crappy one I have. Have you chatted with Summit or Jegs? There are cheaper options than $200.
The chain is JUST barely touching so i might just take a grinder with a smoothing blade on it and run it across the inside a few times then sand it real nice and smooth and see where that gets me cause this new cover is prettt thick
Old 07-31-2016, 05:00 PM

The chain is JUST barely touching so i might just take a grinder with a smoothing blade on it and run it across the inside a few times then sand it real nice and smooth and see where that gets me cause this new cover is prettt thick
If it's thick enough to do that, smear a thick layer of bearing grease inside the cover, install it and turn the crank several times. Take the cover off and see where the grease was smeared off. That will tell you exactly where things are rubbing and where to remove some material. I'd suggest a small Dremel type tool and just remove what you have to. Take some before and after pics and add them here, it might save someone else a headache.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

http://www.competitionproducts.com/C.../#.V6Y_gGgrKM8

I got this one. Havent installed it yet but for 120 seems like a win win.