Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1st time owner PROject: CAMARO rs 3.8l v6 (stock)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time owner PROject: CAMARO rs 3.8l v6 (stock)

I just bought this camaro not too long ago, ive been through h€ll and back getting it running and stable. I need help, im familiar with cars but not performance upgrades or engine modds. I want my car to go faster, last night i was beat by a 2005 or maybe 07 mustang gt. Im asking the real pro's to take this opportunity, and start from the beginning with me.

Last edited by DudaMOST_rs/V6; 09-23-2016 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Words misspelled
Old 09-23-2016, 05:37 PM

Re: 1st time owner PROject: CAMARO rs 3.8l v6 (stock)

What should i start on first to get my car faster?
Old 09-24-2016, 01:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '02 T/A
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by DudaMOST_rs/V6
05 gt was rated at about 300hp so I wouldn't bother with a 200hp v6 as you found out the hard way. Car looks pretty clean. I'd drive it and enjoy it for what it is.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=armybyrd;6080164]05 gt was rated at about 300hp so I wouldn't bother with a 200hp v6 as you found out the hard way. Car looks pretty clean. I'd drive it and enjoy it

So should i just sell it?
Old 09-24-2016, 01:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Well , first off might be a forum dedicated to your car . This forum , "ThirdGen.Org" is dedicated to exactly that , Third Generation GM "F" body cars (Camaro/Firebird) , which were produced in the model years 1982 thru 1992 . Before 1982 was the second generation and after 1992 was the fourth generation .

So you really need a fourth gen forum to get the most folks familiar with your car . Don't take this as me being mean and saying "Go Away" , cause i'm not , It's just that your far likelier to find people who know your fourth gen better at a fourth gen forum .

Now , that said , there are a couple of forums out there that deal in GM V6 engines of various designs without being car specific and they are great forums to get performance tips . For the most part (all but the TTA) our V6s were a different animal entirely than your 3.8 is , and that's why a forum specific to your car (or engine) will get you the best info beyond boilerplate replies like "throw on some headers" , "throw in a cam" , that sort of thing .

Now whether to sell it or not is up to you . In it's stock form , yea your gonna get slapped around on the streets pretty bad as you've already seen . And yea , you can depending on how much green ya got , build that car into a mustang eater but it's gonna cost ya some serious $$$ . But guess what ? They don't exactly give away cars that are mustang eaters for chump change either and selling your relatively low performance car isn't gonna net ya 1/3 of the cash you'll be needin to buy that "turn key go fast" mustang eater your lookin for . Sorry the reality check had to be so brutally honest , but when looking for "go fast" it's always best to remember the formula ;

Speed = Cubic Inches X Cubic Dollars , Squared

I wish you luck on your journey ............
Old 09-24-2016, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
Well , first off might be a forum dedicated to your car . This forum , "ThirdGen.Org" is dedicated to exactly that , Third Generation GM "F" body cars (Camaro/Firebird) , which were produced in the model years 1982 thru 1992 . Before 1982 was the second generation and after 1992 was the fourth generation .

So you really need a fourth gen forum to get the most folks familiar with your car . Don't take this as me being mean and saying "Go Away" , cause i'm not , It's just that your far likelier to find people who know your fourth gen better at a fourth gen forum .

Now , that said , there are a couple of forums out there that deal in GM V6 engines of various designs without being car specific and they are great forums to get performance tips . For the most part (all but the TTA) our V6s were a different animal entirely than your 3.8 is , and that's why a forum specific to your car (or engine) will get you the best info beyond boilerplate replies like "throw on some headers" , "throw in a cam" , that sort of thing .

Now whether to sell it or not is up to you . In it's stock form , yea your gonna get slapped around on the streets pretty bad as you've already seen . And yea , you can depending on how much green ya got , build that car into a mustang eater but it's gonna cost ya some serious $$$ . But guess what ? They don't exactly give away cars that are mustang eaters for chump change either and selling your relatively low performance car isn't gonna net ya 1/3 of the cash you'll be needin to buy that "turn key go fast" mustang eater your lookin for . Sorry the reality check had to be so brutally honest , but when looking for "go fast" it's always best to remember the formula ;

Speed = Cubic Inches X Cubic Dollars , Squared

I wish you luck on your journey ............
No harm done, i highly appriciate your advice. Thank you. I really mean that. And yea i just realized yesterday that i was on the wrong forum. But i will be back sooner than u thinking with what i should have being here. Once again thanks man. I might just trade this thing for a bike or something
Old 09-24-2016, 01:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

No harm done, i highly appriciate your advice. Thank you. I really mean that. And yea i just realized yesterday that i was on the wrong forum. But i will be back sooner than u thinking with what i should have being here. Once again thanks man. I might just trade this thing for a bike or something
Cool I'm glad you didn't take my post as being mean , I want you to have the best info possible to make the most informed decision and to get the best "bang for ya buck" , and that's why I suggested a 4th gen or GM V6 forum .

Also , just so ya know , as general V6 performance lore goes , the best increase in power will come from a turbo setup , or NOS , my preference being the turbo over the "speed in a bottle" , but that's just my opinion . If you are not dedicated to the car , and just want to go fast , then Hell yea dollar for dollar you can't buy cheaper "go fast" than a good "crotch rocket" bike . And know I mean no disrespect to you with asking how dedicated you are to the camaro , there are no right and wrong levels of commitment to cars , just which priority is higher , all out speed regardless of type of car , as much speed as possible in THAT car , and so on .

Have fun