Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Noise from AC

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Noise from AC

Hello everyone

For the last few weeks I couldn't turn on the AC anymore because of excessive noise when the clutch kicks in. It started almost suddenly one evening... not quite as loud as now but the noise grew louder quickly and so I decided to not operate the AC anymore. I recorded the sound and put it onto Youtube so that you can listen to it. My question: Is it clear that I Need a new AC compressor or could it only be the clutch or something else that can be fixed somehow? If I have to buy new parts, do you recommend AC Delco compressors or anything else?

Thanks a lot,
Thomas

Youtube link:
Old 10-15-2016, 06:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Re: Noise from AC

That's not a clutch problem. R4 style compressors are noisy even under ideal conditions, but that one is really loud. Get a quality brand replacement such as Delco or Four Seasons. Make sure you flush the evaporator and condenser completely. You must replace the orifice tube and accumulator. Due to the age, hoses would probably be a good idea also.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Noise from AC

Hm okay. So using the AC like this could be dangerous / lead to damages more than only on the AC itself? It's just I don't like to replace the R12 coolant with a new one. Is there any possibility to collect the old R12 and reuse it?