Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

TPI Fuel line help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 02:05 PM

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans AM GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt 3.27
TPI Fuel line help

I need some help / advise on my problem.

I am currently in the process of re assembling my Firebird but found out that I have a jammed and stripped main fuel nut where the line goes from the filter to the front. I cannot unscrew the filter to front side. Filter to tank is fine.

I know I can buy a new line but I live in Malta and getting a new line is going to cost me a lot due to postage of such a long item.

I was thinking of cutting out the nut and use an AN type fitting between the fuel filter and the rest of the 3/8" tubing. I think the size needs to be AN6 and the thread of the filter 16mm but I am not sure about these.

Can someone give me some views and guidelines on this topic of perhaps an AN model that I need to buy?
Old 10-22-2016, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07
Re: TPI Fuel line help

I take it that you are replacing the filter? Just cut the filter off by slicing the filter where the flare fitting goes into it. This will loosen the connection and allow you to remove the filter. Once the filter is removed, you will be able to turn the flare nut on the tubing. If the nut is no longer usable, cut the flare off the end of the tube and install a new nut and flare the end of the tubing. You will lose about 1/4 to 1/2 inch but that should not be a problem. I'm sorry I can't answer your question about the AN fitting but thought I would throw this out there for you to consider. HTH!
Old 10-22-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans AM GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt 3.27

Thanks for your comment. Beleive it or not here in Malta no one has equipment for the 10mm (3/8) tubing!!!!
I have to work with what we have here that's why I was thinking of getting an AN fitting
Old 10-22-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07

What I can tell you about AN fittings is the number, such as the 6 you mention, is in 1/16ths of an inch. Yes AN6 is 6/16ths or 3/8ths so that would be correct. The thread size, I don't know but a google search may just turn that up.