Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Need advice with lifter selection

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 05:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac
Need advice with lifter selection

Ok I have had some problems with rocker arm/pushrod galling which in turn busts the lifter cup. Same thing happened to the same valve twice.

Here's the thread if you want to check it out;
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...k-problem.html

I'm currently running Comp short travel race lifters in my 414 daily driver. When everything is good the rockers have oil dribbling out the oil holes evenly. One suspicion is that there is not enough oil going to the rockers. So, I am going to either replace the damaged Comp lifter or just replace the entire set of lifters with stock/LS7 type lifters. My block will accept either and I have the dog bones and spider. The cost of both is about $50 more for the LS7 type vs replacing one Comp pair.

Should I stay with the Comp short travel race lifter or just go with the LS7's? Honestly, the engine peaks at 6k and that's where I shift. I don't know if I "need" the short travel but it seemed like a good idea when I built the engine. I just want a lifter/valvetrain that will last more than 20k before needing attention. I DO NOT feel there is a problem with the Comp lifters, just that they don't oil the rockers as much as stock one's do.

Last edited by antman89iroc; 10-24-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
Re: Need advice with lifter selection

Well it hurt that lifter and rocker twice right?

Imo with 8019 afr springs and that cam, ls7's would be adequate
Old 10-25-2016, 07:27 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
Well it hurt that lifter and rocker twice right?

Imo with 8019 afr springs and that cam, ls7's would be adequate
Lol fair enough. Glad you chimed in Orr. I'm just trying to be careful to not bash Comp's parts just because I have had some problems. There's so much that goes into a successful valvetrain and it's easy to blame a specific part or company. I believe the restricted oiling is how these lifters are designed (not yet confirmed with Comp) so if it's not enough oil for my combo then it's not their fault- per se. I think this is a combination of things stacking up to cause the problem. Priority main Dart oiling scheme, last lifter on the passenger side (distributor) restricted oiling lifters, aggressive lobes/rockers/springs etc

Now how do I determine what "LS7" lifter are? Not being difficult but a lot of lifters are tagged as such when really any lifter from 87+ could be considered LS7. GMPP 12499225 seem to be the GM part number but if you cross it to say Comp cam its just their performance lifter. I'd like to stay with a recognized MFG & PN.

Lastly, My cam was ground with QXI QXX lobes which are fairly aggressive. 282/229 and 285/237 (from memory) and each have ~.375 lobe lift. There's no chance of the stock type lifter with shrouded rollers hitting the lobes is there? One of the features I really liked about the Comp short travel lifter is the larger, exposed roller wheel. Just checking on this one.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Those are abit aggressive in appearance. Esp on a small base circle. Ls7 should still work but for alot of street mileage i would consider a fatter base circe and less aggressive ramp
Old 10-25-2016, 12:28 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
Those are abit aggressive in appearance. Esp on a small base circle. Ls7 should still work but for alot of street mileage i would consider a fatter base circe and less aggressive ramp
Well sure, I tried to get the largest base circle that would fit with clearance. Not saying that it can't go larger but went from .840 on the first cam to .950 on the current one.

Thanks for the advice. I spoke with Comp again today. They can't find any reason the short travel lifter shouldn't work. I was incorrect about the restricted oiling, they said they are normal valves. Regardless, I can't get the "doing the same thing expecting a different result" idea out of my head. Although there shouldn't be a problem with the race lifters it seems it would be a good idea to try a different type. If you guys have had success with the 12499225 lifters then it may be a good idea to try them. At least if I do have a problem in the future I can replace a single lifter and they're a lot less expensive. Seems a shame though...
Old 10-25-2016, 05:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z-28
Engine: 383 Gen I SBC 11:1
Transmission: Rebuilt TH700R4 for 500+HP
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt Eaton Truetrac 3.23

If you are going with the LS7's, I have a full set of unused ones I got for my 383 build still currently underway. After more rersearch, I wound up going with the Comp Race lifters... PM sent.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by UltRoadWarrior9
If you are going with the LS7's, I have a full set of unused ones I got for my 383 build still currently underway. After more rersearch, I wound up going with the Comp Race lifters... PM sent.
Awesome, I'll check that out.

How much engagement is necessary between the lifter and dog bone?

I ask because I have a stock set I mocked up in my motor tonight. I have a .950 base circle cam and the ones I tried only stick up about .150 above the lifter bores. By the time you consider the bevel on the top of the lifter and the recess on top and bottom of the dog bone retainer that only leaves about .080 engagement between them. Is this enough? I have read there are special lifters that are a little taller than stock for this reason. Anyone?

BTW the Comp short travel are available with a tool steel pushrod cup (XD version) which I wish I had gone that route now. The pushrod cup is what is getting beat out of the lifters I have had fail. I know it is probably caused by the pushrod galling but that may be caused by oiling. I don't know if these are the best choice for street use.

Last edited by antman89iroc; 10-25-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 630 Likes on 531 Posts

I've been running Comp's short travel lifters for thousands of street driven miles and hundreds of 6500 RPM red line passes. Three different cams, two engine blocks, and still as far as I can tell (and the top end was just apart, cleaned and inspected), they look to be in fine shape.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:24 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by skinny z
I've been running Comp's short travel lifters for thousands of street driven miles and hundreds of 6500 RPM red line passes. Three different cams, two engine blocks, and still as far as I can tell (and the top end was just apart, cleaned and inspected), they look to be in fine shape.
Thanks for the input. Are you running the XD?

I am in no way bashing the Comp product. In fact, due to my small base circle cam the OEM style won't work. There are longer versions for this reason but I am going to just replace the Comp pair with the problem and give it another go. It seems the origin is an oiling problem and I am going to go back through everything to make sure there isn't anything binding. Comp also suggested running a zinc additive and I may try that also.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 630 Likes on 531 Posts

No XD. Just their 15853. They were new to the market when I purchased them (2012 IIRC).
One suggestion regarding the oiling. Perhaps you could prime the engine and watch for oil flow out of the lifter cup. You've mentioned seeing it dribble out of the pushrod. You could rotate the engine through 90 degree segments and observe the flow at the suspect lifter bore. It may reveal nothing but then again, it may uncover something relevant to your problem.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

Have you contacted Dart? You may want to ask them if they have any advice concerning lifter selection for use with the small base circle cam.