Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Cam selection advice for blown 350

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 86' IROC
Engine: Supercharged 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Cam selection advice for blown 350

Hi guy, Im currently in a pickle. Trying to decide what i want to do for a cam in my 350 with vortec heads, a vortech V3 blower, 3.45 gears and a early T56. Im really happy with the way it drives (its daily driven during the summer) so im not looking for a huge cam that makes it a pain with the 6 speed.

The block is a non roller, and currently has a 212/222 duration .435/.460 lift cam on a 112.5 LSA which did 351 RWHP at 5200 and 377 almost flat from 3-5K.

I was looking at a retrofit nitrous/blower cam from comp.
224/236 duration and .502/.520 on a 113 LSA, but summit specifies its operating range 2-6K and strongly suggest a 2200 stall - Im thinking this cam might be a bit of a pain to drive.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl12-415-8

My second choice is a flat tappet nitrous/blower cam again from comp - more budget friendly, and closer to what i have now, but not much bigger.
218/230 duration and .462/.480 lift on a 113 LSA.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl12-556-4

Im not sure im gonna see the gains i want out of the flat tappet cam, but i also dont build engines for a living. Also doing valve springs this winter - but still rocking the press in studs for the moment - trying to avoid pulling the heads.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Re: Cam selection advice for blown 350

I get the feeling you're either backwards on your driveability thinking regarding the six speed or you VERY much prefer oem drivability.
Of the two I'd go with the first. A recommended 2200 stall is piddly and the manual tranny should have zero issues with it.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Roller would require screw in studs and good springs. Being a roller it will act smoother than the similar flat tappet. I am a roller guy so i like to recommend rollers lol but that is a good sized cam. With a manual it definately will be felt over oem style drivability, but with good tuning it should be managable lol. Should make good power to boot

But why not add more boost to get more power on current cam if you like how it drives? Or more rocker ratio as well on current cam? Definitely could use more lift
Old 01-10-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 86' IROC
Engine: Supercharged 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45

I know its not a huge stall for a automatic, but i also cant find much info on people who are running them on the street on a stick shift car. Of course i want a big huge cam, but not at the expense of enjoyment and not being able to still daily drive the damn thing. Im looking for more cam, but without it being a pain in the *** honesly. I feel the roller is just too big/agressive, but again i dont build engines for a living so who knows?

More pulley will likely be the route i go honestly, Im just nervous about the bottom end - the hypereutectic pistons in particular. Other than that, its got a nitrid crank and gm "Pink" rods which should be good for "500" horsepower.

I have a 4 bolt, OEM roller block sitting on stand by so if i do launch it, i could always prep/throw that in. That and it would be more cost effective as i wouldnt need the $400 in lifters - But i dont know if i want to get into a short block right now.

As for the screw in studs, im avoiding pulling the heads. If i pull the heads to do $200 in machine work, i might as well buy a set of the Blue print 195's with the springs already set up for .600 lift, flow better, aluminum, have better springs and screw in studs.

trying to build a fast car and save for a house is a bitch. lmao

Last edited by 86CamaroDan; 01-10-2017 at 01:33 PM.