Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

89 RS 305 - What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 RS 305 - What would you do?

Hey all, longtime reader of these lovely forums and first time (ish) poster.

I've been searching for years for the right Third Gen having grown up around them, and i've finally found a bought what seems like a beauty!

It's an '89 RS 305 TBI in immaculate condition (no rust, no scratches) and only 24k on the clock! My question is, i've spent a lot of time on here looking at the various upgrades/changes that are possible (love these engines for that) and I wanted to know what the first thing is that anyone would do to it.

I've read about the conversion from TBI to TPI and installing a wider exhaust/removing the cat (live in the UK, so no emissions regs to worry about), but just wanted to get an idea of what others would do! Ideally, i'd get a little more bang for my buck without huge expense or destroying the already juicy (for UK petrol prices) fuel consumption...

Thanks for any advice! (oh, and if this in the wrong place forum-wise then apologies - still figuring it all out but hope to become an active member.)

Old 01-17-2017, 08:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: 89 RS 305 - What would you do?

Great looking car! Wish mine looked half as good!

Honestly, the first thing I would probably do to it is add a good set of headers and new exhaust. Then Id drive it for awhile like that.

What are your overall goals for the car? Or do you know yet? Everyday driver? 400 hp? 500? 300? Street car only? etc
Old 01-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

First , let me say congratulations for obtaining such a fine specimen of third gen , you did very well condition wise and that car looks nothing short of great .

Now , as to this , just remember , your car will only be "virgin" till it isn't , till you start changing things in the quest for more power . Yes indeed you can put headers and a big ol honkin four barrel on it with a monster lumpy cam and you will make more power , at the loss of it's originality and as designed fuel economy . Each little increase in speed will come with a decrease in fuel economy , and sometimes these results can be exponential ! Having bought petrol in the UK myself , at the rate the "liquid gold" sells there for , if this is to be any kinds of daily driver my choice would be to give it one Hell of a tune up and fluid change , in other words catch up on all the "deferred maintenance" things like belts , hoses , and any other "expendables" , and then simply enjoy it for what it is .

Just remember the magic formula ;

Speed = Cubic Inches X Cubic Dollars , squared .

So how fast are ya lookin to go , , , broke ?

Originally Posted by Caballero83
Ideally, i'd get a little more bang for my buck without huge expense or destroying the already juicy (for UK petrol prices) fuel consumption...
Old 01-17-2017, 11:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: '89 RS, '89 Iroc
Engine: L03, LB9
Transmission: 700r4, T5
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 3.08

I too would do the basics in just replacing parts that are probably long overdue. then drive it and enjoy it for what it is.

I Have an '89 RS identical to this one. I put an open element air cleaner on it which was just an aesthetic choice as I can easily revert to stock. as well as a MAC cat back exhaust due to the original muffler needing to be replaced. basically if its easily reverted to stock form then there is no harm other than to your wallet to test it out.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

"Flag" Door Mirrors !?!? Don't see those everyday !

Congrats on your new ride ! Sure looks to be a fine example of a mostly stock Thirdgen. I agree with what others have posted. Since your car is a very low mile car I would hesitate to make any changes that can't be converted back to factory original without too much of a hassle; meaning I'd leave the engine itself fully intact. I would however consider installing some bolt-on upgrades to help increase "performance". As 3rdgenmaro advised -----> removing that super restrictive TBI Y-Pipe and exhaust manifolds would be first on the to-do list.

TBI = LG4 exhaust
L69 = TPI & are bigger then TBI/LG4
Aftermarket headers = best

Good Luck with your new toy !

Old 01-17-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 G92 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 342

Swap out the peanut cam for an L98 cam. That combined with the headers/exhaust should wake that 305 up a bit.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all! Good suggestions. I take the point re. it being stock and not messing with it too much, and appreciate that those costs can sky-rocket!

I think the exhaust/headers wouldn't be a bad shout, but to start I may just change the muffler to get a bit more of that righteous V8 noise out of it. Then get to work on some small fixes (dashpad, of course. Rev counter, of course...)

I've done a basic service, changing filters/plugs etc but it's been driven so rarely throughout it's life that they were all basically in great condition - even the plugs looked like the originals!

Re. the flag mirrors, the car is a Japanese import to the UK, and appears to have been built for that market (built at Van Nuys) - km/h speedo etc. I didn't realise that the flag mirrors were different from stock though - is that something that was done specifically for Japanese exports?
Old 01-18-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Modifying for more power doesn't mean worse mpg.
You can easily gain power and mpg.