Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

New Battery But Won't Start

Old 01-20-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Battery But Won't Start

I found my 89 Camaro in an old guy's barn and I couldn't pass up the deal. $1300 and she was mine with no rust and a few minor issues. I've been trying to win her over by buying her new parts and piecing her together. After a month she is my daily driver but it is a love hate relationship. My current problem seems to be electrical which I don't have much experience in. The battery that was in it was 7 years old so I bought a new one. My dash keeps telling me I have 8 volts and it won't start the car. Not even attempt to. But I know my battery is fully charged since I just took it off the charger and I've had it tested. Even with the new battery, I can't start my car without a jump start. Once she is running my dash tells me I have 12-13 volts like it should. My alternator has been tested and I was told it is fine as well. Any ideas guys? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am new to posting but not new to the forum. I found this website when I first got my Camaro and this has proven to be a valuable resource.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: New Battery But Won't Start

Pull the wires off from the starter and clean the connections all up. Also do the ground near the battery and block. It could be just corrosion issues. HTH's
Old 01-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 745 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Yup, I'm with Bob on this, clean up those connections. Do it while battery is unhooked
Old 02-28-2017, 08:38 AM

I know it has been a while but I finally got some time to work on my car. I cleaned or replaced all of the terminals on the battery and starter. I have a new starter and a new battery. She started up without a problem and was great for a day. I decided to stop and get a new power steering pump but when I came out of the parts store she wouldn't turn over. I had both my battery and starter tested yesterday and they both came out good. My car isn't throwing any codes. But when I go to start it she does nothing. My voltage does drop a little when I have the key in the crank position but it isn't low enough to make it not start. I don't even hear my start click when I turn the key. Any ideas? She ran fine after cleaning the terminals but just randomly won't turn over now.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 745 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Is there anything else without power while trying to start it?
Will need a helper but check the purple wire down on the starter for 12volts when you turn the key. (keep clear of moving parts) then trace it back from there.
I have found a lot of cars with bad connections on the fusible link wires down there as well.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by TTOP350
Is there anything else without power while trying to start it?
Will need a helper but check the purple wire down on the starter for 12volts when you turn the key. (keep clear of moving parts) then trace it back from there.
I have found a lot of cars with bad connections on the fusible link wires down there as well.
No, everything else has power. My lights, electric fan and etc all stay on when trying to crank it. I'll try and look for that purple wire tonight.

Search this Thread