Will broken rocker arm cause "clacking" noise? - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Tech / General Engine

Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Will broken rocker arm cause "clacking" noise?

Old 03-10-2002, 08:11 PM   #1

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to MrsLottaBallsCamaro
Will broken rocker arm cause "clacking" noise?

Would a broken rocker arm cause a clack clack clack noise? My RS is making that noise, and among other things, we were thinking it could possible be a broken rocker arm, but we aren't sure. I was thinking that if it was for an exhaust valve, and the valve won't open, it might make a sound like that...........maybe..........I really don't know. Please help me!
Moderator on Hampton Road ThirdGen Forum.
:hail: 1987 IROC 5.7L :hail: :lala:
1991 RS 5.0L - Parked...waiting to be sold
1990 Lumina - daily driver when it's not broken
1991 Nissan 4 x 4 pickup
MrsLottaBallsCamaro is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 08:20 PM   #2

*** bless any and all countries, and the people that reside in them.

yeah, the noise could be from a broken pushrod, which can and will make the rocker arm smack against the valve cover. this happend 3 times to my89. turned out I had the wrong rockers.

You will usually be able to feel the rocker hitting on the VC with your hands,just put them on the VC, you will feel a steady smacking.
Also, if you have managed to break a rocker or pushrod, you will most likely have a severe miss.
Joshua Leslie is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 09:00 PM   #3

Another possibility is that you pulled a stud... again.. causing the rocker arm to be VERY loose. Dont drive it like that... fix it !
92 Camaro Z28
400 SBC --
TrickFlow 23 degree heads
Crower cam (245/256 .524/.524)
Edelbrock RPM intake
750 CFM Holley VS
Mallory Digital VI ignition
Hooker headers,
Aluminum driveshaft
NWC 5 Speed
Hurst Billet Shifter
Blue LED dash and LED tailights