Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Help on a 84 firebird

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on a 84 firebird

I had 84 firebird that came with a v6 ok I switched motor and trans, with a Lt1 and 700 r4 instead of fuel injection I choose to go carb . I have the in take on but not carb motor and transmission are bolted dwn. With all this being said my mechanic jus left without getting the job done and I'm stuck all the shops I called all have a waiting list . So I'm to the point where I wanna finish it . HEY do yu guys have any suggestions on how wireit up and get it rinning . parts 650 double pump holey carb metal fuel pump fuel line radiator header spark pugs &wires msd distributor 6al msd box . Please help
Lt1 out of 94 roadmaster 700r4 transmission with shift kit

Last edited by qward22; 11-01-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Help on a 84 firebird

Off the top of my head, once the engine and transmission are bolted to the frame, and connected to the rear; 700R4 detent cable (be sure your bracket for throttle line and the carb linkage both have provisions for it), bring the balancer to TDC (use your finger in the number one spark plug to confirm correct stroke) and point the rotor to number one, then hook up your ignition and RPM lines from the harness. Since no EFI, you just need to connect your electronic gauges, hook up your mechanical fuel pump, and find a 12 volt source for your fan if your not running a mechanical one. Engine should fire right up. Obviously your plug wires need to be in the correct firing order as well...

Edit;

I just seen you're running an MSD Box and distributor as well. Post up pictures of the ignition, or give me part numbers, and I will show you how to wire it. Also, let me know if you don't know how to hook up the starter, I left that out assuming that you already did...

Last edited by Street Lethal; 11-01-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:12 PM

I have to take more pics because Im a first timer so it's baby steps but I kan get it. I want to show you what's missing and all the parts I have
Originally Posted by qward22

I had 84 firebird that came with a v6 ok I switched motor and trans, with a Lt1 and 700 r4 instead of fuel injection I choose to go carb . I have the in take on but not carb motor and transmission are bolted dwn. With all this being said my mechanic jus left without getting the job done and I'm stuck all the shops I called all have a waiting list . So I'm to the point where I wanna finish it . HEY do yu guys have any suggestions on how wireit up and get it rinning . parts 650 double pump holey carb metal fuel pump fuel line radiator header spark pugs &wires msd distributor 6al msd box . Please help

Old 11-01-2016, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

I have to take more pics because Im a first timer so it's baby steps but I kan get it. I want to show you what's missing and all the parts I have
We'll get you going, so don't worry.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:20 PM

Ok kool man because the hassle of these mechanics. Question will I be able to put the headers on with the motor in the car

Headers
Old 11-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

Ok kool man because the hassle of these mechanics. Question will I be able to put the headers on with the motor in the car
Unbolt the tranny from the crossmember, and unbolt the engine mounts. Using a jack, place a thick piece of wood between the tranny pan (not the oil pan) and jack it up with the distributor removed from the engine. Once high enough, both long tubes can be slid in place by moving the engine to the left, or to the right, via leverage using a thick wooden stick to move the engine, and of course the wheeled jack. Do not try to force the headers into place with the engine bolted to the frame.

Edit: Be sure the tranny, driveshaft and rear are all bolted up and in tact using this method. If not, and if only the engine and transmission are bolted together, then you will need to either jack it up from the oil pan, or better yet, use the hoist and lift the engine as high as you need to. Okay?

Last edited by Street Lethal; 11-01-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:26 PM

Umm yu guys are giving

great advice but I'm slow lol but I really don't know the different parts but I'll figure it out .

Under the hood

Last edited by qward22; 11-08-2016 at 08:57 PM.