Third Gen Expo Discuss plans for the IL gathering.

Thirdgen Expo 2016 Car show classifications.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS
Thirdgen Expo 2016 Car show classifications.

Alright everyone, below is an outline of how we are breaking down the classes for the car show portion of the Expo this year. Ask questions or discuss below, it's why I posted this in it's own thread.

Stock Class: Stock wheels, stock paint color, stock body and stripes. No stripe or emblem delete unless it's factory. New and updated consumables are fine (belts, hoses, shocks/struts, tires, cat back exhaust etc.) NO external engine mods, NO interior mods except the radio. Stock appearing suspension, bushings are OK but no lowering or tubular stuff, stock brakes etc. Subframe connectors OK, window tint OK. Because we have no way to know how your car was ordered, factory correct swaps are allowed (1LE brake swaps, T5 swaps, rear disc swaps, overhead console) but they MUST be correct vintage, No IROC wheels on an 84z, no PBR rear discs on an 82 TA etc. In other words, you can add or remove options that were available that year, but that's it. NO updating or backdating. The spirit of the law here is "don't kick out a guy who wants to stay stock but is building his "dream" car by adding options the car could/should have had but wasn't ordered with".

Resto-mod Class: Must be a stock paint color. No major body, hood, ground effects or spoiler mods allowed(eg hawks spoilers OK). Stock decals and markings must be present unless it's a factory stripe delete car. Stock interior in stock colors with 3 mods or less (steering wheel, seats, shifter, etc) No roll bars or cages. Upgraded brakes and wheels allowed, stock type suspensions with upgrades (no IRS, 4 link, watts link etc). Stock induction type must be present, no carb swaps, no LS or LT1 swaps. Induction mods allowed, (big runners, super ram, stealth ram allowed) but again, must still be the original induction type (TPI, TBI, Quadrajet). Any displacement allowed as long as its still a Gen1 small block. The spirit of the law here is "let the guys who want to preserve their cars but update their performance and handling be in their own class and not be judged against completely built cars with custom paint, engine swaps etc."

Modified Class: Anything goes as long as it's a thirdgen.

Project Car class: No rules other than that it must be readily apparent that the car is unfinished. Missing major interior pieces, multi color paint, etc.

We don't want it to be all about the rules, and I realize I got pretty wordy here, but I wanted to be clear. We are going to try to stick to the rules pretty close on the stock class, but resto-mod we can negotiate. We want to include everyone, and the event is about the cars and the people, not the show classes.

I'm getting excited, this is going to be a great event!