Third Gen Association of Ontario Regional message board for everyone in Southern Ontario and nearby regions.

Ontario E-Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 07:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83WS6TA
Engine: ZZ4
Transmission: TH350C
Axle/Gears: 3:23
Ontario E-Test

83TA with 160K on it, LG4, J65, 200C and no ECM. Stock except for Hedmans, Hooker Catback, Hermoff Cat and 11 degrees of advance.

February of this year would have been it's last e-test but since the weathers been so bad I left it in storage longer than usual and now I just drive it on weekends w/out the sticker - real smart I know.

Got a conditional pass last time and I'll probabaly have to pay $450 for the conditional this time if I do it. Problem is that I can't justify spending $450 on motor that has to be replaced anyway. Also, this late in the year I might as well just do a lot of work on the car over the summer that needs to be done anyway and get by with a few 10 day permits as needed - that would cost less than $450.

So, what happens if I don't get the car tested this year and then try to get a sticker for it in Feb. 2003 without an e-test. Arguably the car would be 20 years old then and not need to be tested in 2003.

Does it make any difference if the car was not tested in its last year for required e-testing.

Also, does the fact that the test is valid for two years have any bearing on the situation I've described.

Thanx.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:56 PM
Supreme Member

Well in my case i took a conditional even though I got it retested and passed with flying colors on my third attempt, but since was third and already had a conditional, I don't want the numbers (even if good) I won't have to pay for 3rd test and since the conditional was as good as a pass and I knew mine could pass anyways and at half below the legal limit, I went cheap took the conditional knowing full well I had an emissions friendly car. Just for the hell of it I bought the 2 year sticker so i wouldn't have to deal with it next year. All things considered, its not necessary as the test is only required every two years, so even a conditional is ok as I was told by the ministry.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:18 PM
Supreme Member

Thanx for the response but I know that I can get a conditional.

What I need know is whether I can skip the test this year and then dodge the test next year because the car will be 20 years old then.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:49 PM
Supreme Member

does the car need to be tested this year? ie 2 years since last test? If so then it must be tested, or you can hang on till its 20 years old then don't bother.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:23 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Iroc Z
Engine: 383ci.
Transmission: WC-T5
Supposedly, they can only make you spend up to $200 each test to try bringing it up to standards, so why did you shell out $450?
Old 06-14-2002, 01:28 PM

1) The $200 'cap' only applies to the initial phase of the test implementation period. I.e. the 1st test you are required to take as program enters your geographic area in Ontario- NOT the 1st test you take (if you were required to take a test in say, 2001 but you left the car in the garage until 2003 and then went for an e-test, you missed the implementation period 'cap' of $200.00). A $450.00 cap applies to all e-tests after the implementation period. $200.00 is only good for the first test in the first 'cycle' of the sequence, after that the cap is raised to $450.00- period.

2) The interpretation of whether or not you need the last e-test done&passed once you've fallen over the 19-year mark seems to be open to interpretation by MOTC staff. I've heard them calling it both ways- i.e. a 1982 car just purchased- one says "where's the last (passed) e-test" another says "20-years old-no problem, here's your plates/sticker". By strict letter of the discription presented on the driveclean website- once car hits 20 years- it should be irrelevant if the car was not e-tested previously and was in storage, brought in from another province, whatever. I would argue this point if presented with the idea of needing the 'last' valid e-test. Hell- bring along the last e-test you had done 3 years earlier and tell them the car was stored before the last registration had expired- i.e. don't take 'no' for an answer from some clerk in an MOTC franchise office.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:59 PM

Car: '90 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73's
How much is the emissions test anyway? My Jimmy needs to get tested soon.

Damn thing doesn't have a cat either. If it doesn't pass after getting a cat slapped on it's gonna cost me a fortune...
Old 06-17-2002, 05:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 iroc-z custom
Engine: 355 tuned port
Transmission: 5spd baby, only way to go
Axle/Gears: 3.45
all you have to do is wait til feb 2003 and then you are historic,,,but just pray that the new legislature doesnt go through cuz what they want to do is make all cars who came with a stock cat/s have an etest all the time no matter how old!! (bastards)

so my opinion is just wait it out drive with ten days (good until august 2nd this year if you got one during the strike) and youre home free for the year...

iroc2nv
Old 06-17-2002, 06:58 PM
Supreme Member

Where did you find out about that.

I heard something about new rules too and when I downloaded the so called official version of the regulations a few months ago there were a lot blank spots from where a good bit of it had been yarded out.

There was no mention at all about a 20 year limit which tells me that there's something new coming for that. Not good.

There's supposed to be a presumption against retroactive legislation which would mean that if it changed in March 2003 for example I'd be OK - but that's only if the f'n gov't follows it' own rules which they don't usually do unless there's a gun to there collective heads.

My rant runneth over but I've been waiting for a long time for this car to hit 20 and I just know I'm gonna nailed on the last f'n day.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 iroc-z custom
Engine: 355 tuned port
Transmission: 5spd baby, only way to go
Axle/Gears: 3.45
i used to work at a dealership and we did e-tests....and i was told that from the mechanic/s that did the tests...as long as your car came equipt with the catalyst "sticker" you are S.O.L youll need an etest soon if that bill goes through!!

thank *** im getting a bigger motor

another way to cheat is to say you have a bigger motor and then theyll run it as a bigger motor(equaling you getting higher limits) and hopefully pass (alot of the tech dont look anymore)

iroc2nv