Third Gen Association of Ontario Regional message board for everyone in Southern Ontario and nearby regions.

Need help identifying an 88 GTA please

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 6 speed swap
Need help identifying an 88 GTA please

Just bought an 88 bright red GTA and would like to find out more about the engine build.
I bought it from a guy in Missasagua but he wasn't too sure about the mods or previous history. perhaps someone here used to own it or knows the car.
It has a Holley Stealth Ram intake, Edelbrock aluminum heads, comp full roller rockers, Edelbrock BBK TB, MSD 6al ignition box and MSD coil,decent quality painted but uncoated headers, 6 speed swap with a 4th gen center console, lowering springs, magnaflow 3inch single to dual exhaust system, centerforce clutch, Obvious signs of tuning the stock ECM. It also has a potent Alpine sound system with 2 audiobahn subs in a custom box. No rust and undercoated. Bright red paint job slightly different than actual 88 GTA. PO says its 2000 Chevy Cavalier red?
Car has T-Tops and was originally a 5.0L but not sure if it was born with an auto or Stick yet. Not even sure if it is a 5.7 yet! (couldn't see the casting # on the block).
I haven't had much time to work on it but I bought it not running. It is a crank but no start problem. Verified no spark. Verified MSD CD ignition working. Verified power to coil/ignition module when key on not cranking. Changed module to GM. Still no spark.
Im looking for a PO that knows more about the build to help me sort out what I have here and what path to follow to get her running for the summer!
It appears to have spent its whole life around the GTA possibly Brampton.
Does this car sound familiar to anyone here?
Thanks,
Rob