TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI on my car? Doing some research

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 10:48 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: Stealth Rammed 412 with TC78 Turbo
Transmission: '93 T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt posi with PBR discs
TPI on my car? Doing some research

Ok guys, I'm just poking around thinking about possible future plans here. I've done some searches, found some info, and now it's time to ask some questions I'm running a 350 with the Holley Systemax II maximum perfomance kit (not the 50 state legal one). The specs for this kit can be seen here Right now I'm running a Holley 600 cfm carb and I'd like to get better gas mileage and drivability (actually be able to start it when it's below freezing, etc.) Could I get a stock TPI system to work on my motor? Would SD or MAF be better? I know there are pros and cons to each one. I'm not really up on fuel injection much at all, so any and all information you could provide would be appreciated. Is my cam too big to allow me to run TPI? (cam specs. at link above) Would I need to go with an aftermarket system? If I could run a stock setup what years would be compatible? Thanks for any and all help!

-Paul
Old 03-04-2003, 02:22 PM

Hey quadgoat:

Check out www.chevythunder.com ! This guy's web site helped me make the same choices you are about to make.

I recommend finding a stock 86-89 TPI system at the boneyard or somewhere. Try to get everything (wire harness, dist. cover, ecm, etc.). Then switch it to MAP by purchasing an aftermarket ECM.

That's what I'm in the process of doing. I found and 86 vette tpi without the wire harness or ecm. I went with an ACCEL DFI kit that includes the programable ecm, sensors, and wire harnesses.

Better study up though. I got more cash than brains. :lala: Still not 100% sure I can pull this off. I don't think I've wasted any money though. Might be a little overkill on the ecm but for a nuckle dragger like myself, it was almost a necessity. All the connections are labeled and it's programable. I'm sure I'll probably end up having to pay one of the heavies to tune it though.

Good luck

Last edited by car 54; 03-04-2003 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:43 PM
TGO Supporter

Great link! Thanks so much, tons of awesome info there! So...I did some more research and I have another question. If I get a complete stock TPI setup with everything right down to the sensors and wiring harness can I just hook it up to an Accel Gen VII DFI unit? or do I need a stock ECM too? My car originally had a CC-Carb, the computer is still in it, but does nothing at this point, so if I could just drop in the Accel DFI unit and plug it into the stock wiring harness (with the adaptor) would that run my TPI system? Also I am a little confused as to which year distributor would be required. I am running a late 70's vintage block with a non-roller cam, can I use any of the TPI distributors, or is there a particular year I can't (because of roller vs. non roller differences in the gear)? I'm not 100% sure that I'm going to do this swap yet, but it sure is tempting!!! Keep the help coming I really appreciate it!

-Paul

P.S. I think I'd go with the MAF system, that will work with the Accel DFI unit, right?

Last edited by quadgoat; 03-04-2003 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:05 AM

Gen 7 is an ECM. It's also SD and not MAF. If you're going with MAF and you are lucky enough to find a functional and complete tpi system, then all you need to do is get a new chip for the stock ECM. I'm no expert though and I don't want to give out bad advice. This is all just my uneducated opinion.

Basically, if you choose the aftermarket "user programmable" route, I’ve concluded that Speed Density is the only choice.

If you really want to have some fun, learn how to burn chips. If I knew how to do that or even knew someone that could, I may have made some different choices to save $$$$.

As far as the distributor question, I'm trying to learn the same thing myself. Haven't found out diddley squat. When you throw in the Sequential vs. Batch question, I really get lost. I've held off on investing in a distributor until I'm sure what I want. I think 87-95 will work but I'm not 100% positive. Didn't the roller cams come out after 95? My block is an 80 vette. I also installed the vette rear end and front end on my 54 chevy. Nothing special about the engine other than it's got a street/strip cam, 10:1 compr, big valves, and 4 bolt mains that don't really add anything to the picture other than bragging rights. Gotta BW Super T-10 4 spd too. The tranny is light but don’t really know about the performance or durability. Everybody always says good stuff about the Muncie but I never hear anything about the BW. Maybe it’s because their so old. My tranny is as old as me (36). I there’s some important things to know if you are running an Auto Trans with tpi. I passed over it because it doesn’t concern me.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:03 AM
TGO Supporter

oooooook I get it haha....I've read some more and now I see that Gen 7 is just for SD But I suppose if u can tune everything with the Gen 7 ECM then it doesn't matter as much. I was thinking about going MAF because it is more forgiving. Maybe I'll have to look into PROM burning equipment? Could be fun Anyway I am looking at a complete MAF setup on eBay with everything including the MAF sensor, wiring harness, distributor, and ECM. It came off a L98 350 so it should have like 22 lb/hr injectors I think. I'm thinking it might be a good starting point, if I could learn how to burn proms and then do some basic polishing work to the TPI stuff (I've got a lot to learn still) I might be able to make it work for me. Anyway, thanks for the help so far and if you have any more suggestions don't hesitate to shoot them my way. Oh also, what do you think would be a fair price to pay for a TPI setup like I was talking about above (basically everything included)? I was thinking like 500ish tops? is that reasonable? too high? too low? Anyway...still thinking and doing research!

-Paul

P.S. That setup is off an '88, so I would have to machine the center bolt holes in the intake to make it work with my older style heads, right? (they're new heads, just old style)

Last edited by quadgoat; 03-05-2003 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:39 PM

Fixing the bolt hole angle is easy. All you have to do is put a drill bit in there and walk it to the side until you reach the correct bolt angle. No biggie.

No idea what a total system is actually worth. $500 for a complete "used" system sounds fair to me. I found out my 22# injectors are about $140 each to replace.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:35 PM

I'm in sort of the same boat.

I have a custom built 383. specs can be found here http://camaro.resago.com

was thinking about getting a MAF system (good or bad?)

i have the afr 210cfm heads, its an 86 block I beleive.

what year tpi system do I need to be looking for?
and/or which ecm model would give the best performance/programability for the maf system?

I lean toward maf because someday I will get a supercharger for it.

I see complete systems go on ebay for usually under $400.
what year/years should I be looking for that will bolt directly to my heads without mods?