TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump acces done..pics

Old 04-02-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fuel Pump acces done..pics

ok so i did the same thing you did where i cut the hole and everything. i got the fuel pump out and put a new one in. i plugged it in to the harness without putting it back in the fuel tank just to see iif the fuel pump turned on and it didnt. so i took it off the harness and hook it up to a tractor battery to know if there was a fault in the pump itself and it turned on fine. it has to be an elctrical thing somewhere please help
Old 04-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 TransAm Ttop
Engine: 2005 LQ4
Transmission: Ls1 T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

check the fuel pump relay or wire in your own relay to the ignition wire as a temp fix
Old 04-19-2012, 04:43 PM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

I had the same issue- seems the ground wire from the pump goes to the sending unit WHICH HAS TO BE GROUNDED TO THE CAR BY INSTALLING IT. I did that and it 'whirred' fine!
Old 09-20-2014, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 2002 SS LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Auburn 3.42

So after many many years of driving... any "stress" cracks or other madness from doing and access hole?
Old 09-20-2014, 09:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: GEN 4 LY6 (going forged 408)
Transmission: 60E (going RPM LEVEL 6 4L80E)
Axle/Gears: 7.5" 3.42 (staying...)

Holy thread bump batman!
Old 09-20-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 2002 SS LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Auburn 3.42

Haha yep. After reading all the smack talking I had to know if anyone really experienced and issues by cutting the access door.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:48 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 chip, airfilter,dual exhaust..m
Transmission: 5-spd

No problems, worked great. No regrets
Old 09-21-2014, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issues at at all with the access door
Old 10-13-2014, 09:33 PM

Figured I might as well keep the tradition of this thread going.

Had a fuel pump replaced about 5 years ago and they did an access panel. Fast forward to now and I need to replace the pump again. After peeling everything back, the pic is what I found. They had glued the sheet metal down so much that it's completely mangled now, so I'll have to replace that. Also, notice the rubber hose sections. I've since read in several places (including here) that those aren't the best option so I'm considering replacing them with compression fittings.

When I disconnect those hoses, how much gas should I expect to come out? Really has no place to go and that's the thing that concerns me - gas all over the inside of the car.

Also, I thought I had read that 2 of those lines were 3/8" and 2 were 1/4". These all appear to be 3/8"?
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Pump acces done..pics-fuel-pump-access.jpg  
Old 10-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 TransAm Ttop
Engine: 2005 LQ4
Transmission: Ls1 T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

I have no signs of stress cracks and Im on my second car with this mod done.Mind you I think the stress cracks will depend heavily on the rest of the chassis and how much power your putting down.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 GTA Notchback
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: don't know

Originally Posted by bbexperience
Figured I might as well keep the tradition of this thread going.

Had a fuel pump replaced about 5 years ago and they did an access panel. Fast forward to now and I need to replace the pump again. After peeling everything back, the pic is what I found. They had glued the sheet metal down so much that it's completely mangled now, so I'll have to replace that. Also, notice the rubber hose sections. I've since read in several places (including here) that those aren't the best option so I'm considering replacing them with compression fittings.

When I disconnect those hoses, how much gas should I expect to come out? Really has no place to go and that's the thing that concerns me - gas all over the inside of the car.

Also, I thought I had read that 2 of those lines were 3/8" and 2 were 1/4". These all appear to be 3/8"?
Why not keep this thread going.

I did the whole rubber hose thing when I did mine, But I put a bump on the ends of the pressure and return pipes for extra sealing. The pipes are two different sizes (dont remember what off the top of my head).

If you depressurize the system properly (pull fuel pump fuse and try to start the car) you will get only dribbles, if you don't depressurize you will have gas everywhere. My advice would be to get a fuel pressure gauge just to be safe and know for sure that you have drained all the pressure.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Veaceonee
Why not keep this thread going.

I did the whole rubber hose thing when I did mine, But I put a bump on the ends of the pressure and return pipes for extra sealing. The pipes are two different sizes (dont remember what off the top of my head).

If you depressurize the system properly (pull fuel pump fuse and try to start the car) you will get only dribbles, if you don't depressurize you will have gas everywhere. My advice would be to get a fuel pressure gauge just to be safe and know for sure that you have drained all the pressure.
So sitting there idle for 5 years won't depressurize it?
Old 12-05-2014, 11:39 AM

Car: '86 Iroc
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Can you just depressurize on the fuel rail? I opened the gas cap and depressurized the rail and hardly nothing was there. I only had some dribbles as mention before when I cut the lines.

I've replaced my fuel pump on a 3 and 4th gen using this access panel method and it was way easier than dropping the tank. Do I regret it? No - I'm the only one who knows, it not like you can see the repair when it's under the carpet. My replacement pump fail in the 4th gen 5 months after and I was very happy I had the access panel.

Also I learned to buy only the best pumps and replace the fuel filter and stainer screen when you replace. Some pump manufacturers will not warranty them if you don't replace these other components.

I used rivets and brushable non-hardening sealant from Eastwood I had laying around. The rivets only took a few minutes to drill out when I need to get back in there. No biggie.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700

still a great thread...ttt (to the top)
Old 08-02-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700

Previous owners hack job...but it did allow me to change the pump in like 15 minutes start to finish.

I'm going to put a piece of metal over the entire hole and seam seal it in place
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Pump acces done..pics-f-1-medium-.jpg   Fuel Pump acces done..pics-f-2-medium-.jpg  
Old 06-07-2018, 09:24 PM

Car: 07 Nissan Maxima se
Engine: 3.5

Originally Posted by 88I_R_O_C_ZTPI
i found this pic floating around on the web with measurements to help people make the initial cut .
Thanks for the pictures!!😊
Old 06-08-2018, 01:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Someone should make a really great thread on how to jump off a bridge... Or how to DIY Brain Surgery! Or maybe... I don't know, cut a giant hole someplace else in the car where it doesn't need a giant hole?

It's funny how the folks stupid enough to take this shortcut are generally also stupid enough to cut corners and do it half assed.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:11 PM

Car: 07 Nissan Maxima se
Engine: 3.5

Originally Posted by CamaroMike
Someone needs to *explain to me why an auto manufacturer needs to accomodate every possible part repalcement, forever, on all vehicles. This whole line of thinking, GM should have done this it would be better, is maddening. GM made a product to last a specific amount of mileage, it did just that, and now the rest is the consumers problem. Just pull the tank, fix the pump properly, and take some pride in a repair well done.

BTW, $450 is hardly the price of a good carb these days. Sounds like a good price to me if it includes parts.
*why an auto manufacturer needs to accomodate every possible part repalcement, forever, on all vehicles
I 100% agree with you!
Old 10-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

Originally Posted by V6sucker
Honestly,
what would it have been to create a door/panel there?
to move the hard line connections there?
to have the electrical connector there for the sender/pump instead of halfway down that rear panel?

Like I said before, every foriegn car I have worked on has had an access door (if the pump was in tank) or the car was designed with a real access area or used an inline pump.
I have not seen an american car company follow suit on any of the cars I have worked on.

GM never cared too much about making repairs difficult. I do so many fuel tank drops in an average month, I can't begin to count them. The cars with access hatches are nice, but then having liquid fuel inside the car when you're swapping a pump isn't awesome either. A drain pan right at the tank opening to catch the dribbling fuel is the best you can do. That and alot of rags. I've done so many GM tanks, probably in the hundreds. The high failure rate of GM's fuel tank pressure sensors makes tank drops common. Really, no tank drop on anything that's not old and rusty is that big of a deal.

I will say that the 3rd gen F-body is probably one of the worst, just because you have to get the rear exhaust completely out of the vehicle to not have it interfere. An air chisel with a tube cutting tip helps alot. Then you have to completely drop the rear axle, detaching everything but the trailing arms and torque arm. Doing the job in a parking lot, without a lift and no air would have to suck. A custom exhaust that comes apart easily just in front of the rear axle would help. Be sure to disconnect the speedo cable so you don't break the speedo drive against the torque arm, and disconnect the brake line from the body so you don't stretch the hose. I've done a couple dozen of this style I guess, between my own and the 3rd and 4th gens I've repaired for customers. The last one I did went pretty quick, in the shop on a lift with air. Of course, I don't use power tools on any collector car, including my own. Just one of my personal rules.

If you search, you'll find my solution to tank drops. I sumped my tank for hard cornering without fuel pressure drop off and have an Aeromotive external pump feeding the engine. It's a simple and bullet proof system. Replacing the pump, if I ever need to, will take about 20 minutes.
When I finish my exhaust, once the new rear axle is installed, I'll use slip joints with tabs and no clamps to attach the rear section so it will come out easily, in case I ever do need to pull the tank.

I'm sorry but I hate the idea of cutting up a floor pan to avoid dropping a fuel tank. Then again, I certainly can't criticize anyone for building their own car their own way. Look at my Frankenstein build. Just be clean and neat about it as much as you can. One thing though concerning the use of rubber hose on the fuel supply line. Be sure to use the high pressure fuel hose clamps. They have a screw and nut instead of the threaded band like a typical hose clamp and they clamp alot tighter. Use two clamps on each hose to tube connection.

Last edited by ASE doc; 10-10-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

This is the clamp to use when connecting high pressure hose to tube with or without barb. They are available in a few sizes. This one came from NAPA.

Last edited by ASE doc; 10-10-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:26 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 305ci
Transmission: 4-Speed Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73

What type of snips where those? The green handle one - is that a right handed or something along those lines?

-sc-

Originally Posted by 91GTABird
Thanks 454

I tryed to relieve pressure but there was none due to the bad pump. I used tin snips. Heres a pic.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi

Threads like this make me throw up a little. I can't believe there's this many lazy sods out there.
The following users liked this post:
scooter (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 06:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

In my expert opinion, I find the best tool for this job is the McCulloch "Eager Beaver" 2300cc internal combustion saw. It makes the most highly precise and FAST cuts imaginable that make this job a true breeze. I wouldn't even try to do this job again with something as medieval as snips or a pneumatic shear. Best thing ever for splicing the cut fuel hardlines is push to connect fittings. I like to smear a little silly putty on the fittings just for belt and suspenders insurance, but I like to error on the side of caution. When it's done this way, with these tools, it's safer than the factory. I was talking to a few buddies who are engineers at GM, and they agree. They tell me it's how the General should had done it, had they not been controlled by the damn bean counters. Jokes on them, because I fixered that **** right up. Bitches.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew:
91banditt2 (06-01-2020), NoEmissions84TA (12-19-2019)