TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR solenoid connections-1991 CAMARO Z28 5.7 L

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28
Engine: 6 LITER after rebuilding :)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 9:7:1
EGR solenoid connections-1991 CAMARO Z28 5.7 L

I am trying to connect the EGR solenoid however, although I connected the pipes to proper lines, my car dies when I come to a full stop. When I disconnect the TB vacuum source off the solenoid all is fine so I either have a solenoid problem or EGR valve problem.

Please look at the upper right hand corner on the solenoid picture.
You will see a THIN metal "thing", I wonder if it is a hose connector? That particular area also has a small pipe-like portrusion with a pinpoint hole in the middle where it is connected to the solenoid body. This pin hole has a connection in the
INSIDE; observable when vacuum source line (thinner black plastic pipe on the bottom) is disconnected from the bottom of the solenoid as the vacuum source pipe has an access to that pinpoint hole via an o-ring. This is a "closed system" but accessible apparently in case o-ring needs to be changed.

So basically the upper (thicker and made of brass-colored metal) pipe
connects to the EGR valve and the lower thinner black plastic pipe connects to the vacuum source (throttle body).

What about that pin hole opening? Is it supposed to be "closed", as it needs to be connected to something or is it supposed to be left like that (if so why the metal holding brackets around the small portrusion with pin hole)?

I ask that because during operation, since this pinhole has passage into the inside of the vacuum source line, it seems to me that the vacuum cannot be created properly and/or enough or even if created will create leakage, due to that pinpoint hole's unrestricted access to the air pressure outside.

Besides, when I close up the vacuum source line dead, the car works just fine (although I wonder if the whole system is failing because of that pinpoint hole, messed up EGR valve, or solenoid?)

What do you think?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '87 IROC/'68 SS
Engine: 5.7L/350
Transmission: 700R4/Muncie 4-spd
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt / 3.31 12 bolt
Re: EGR solenoid connections-1991 CAMARO Z28 5.7 L

That protrusion is a vent. It's just a vacuum switch. When the ECM sends voltage to it, it closes and blocks vacuum to the EGR. The EGR should not open at idle though. Even if it has vacuum. It needs back pressure to open.

Here's how to test the solenoid: When the car off see if you can blow through it (you should be able to). Then short the diagnostic connector (as if you were checking codes), turn the ignition on and try again. Now you should not be able to blow though it (or it should hold a vacuum if you have a pump).
Old 03-12-2009, 11:46 AM

thanks, great info but which line am I blowing into? I assume vacuum source (TB connection pipe)? And also, should the EGR valve line be hooked to its hose or not, in that instance? I guess I should disconnect it from the solenoid to be able blow through it?

And finally, these tests fail, would it mean the solenoid is gone? Because when I connect the diagnostic module, I hear a sharp click as if the solenoid valve is actually closing... Maybe it is not doing its job as it should..?

In any case, if the solenoid is gone, the predicament becomes quite messed up as the part is no longer in production.

Hence further question: I am currently posted overseas and this place has nowhere near the clean air requirements of CA. If I need to, to severe the EGR system, would it be sufficient to dead-end both the valve and the TB outlet? I assume that the partially burnt off exhaust fumes will not be recycled but that would be it. Even if I get the code 32 (by the way I don't right now- shouldn't I have had it if anything wrong with the EGR system?), I will ignore it. The car's mechanical function wouldn't make much difference, would it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by babadioum; 03-12-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-14-2009, 07:57 AM

I tested the solenoid by blowing into the EGR valve connection, TB connection does not give proper results due to the vent, I suppose. But the solenoid is fully closed with diagnostics tool inserted and engine on (without start). When off, I can freely blow through it. So I assume solenoid is fine and EGR valve is gone. I am going to replace it and see how it goes.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 AM

Finally, the car is in tip-top shape so I am commenting in all my previous problems to help out people with similar and/or same problems: Yes, this problem was due to EGR valve and not the solenoid; also proper connection of the hoses are per diagram I attached previously. In all likelihood, a trial&error on two hoses will get you the right conneciton. EGR replacement fixed the problem. It is difficult to change it though as one is required to take out the plenum.