TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to expect from intake upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: -88 TA GTA
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: TH700
What to expect from intake upgrades

I got a new Edebrock hi-flo baseplate, matching Edelbrock runners and plenum ported by Darin at High Flow Fuel Injection. The Edelbrock parts will not be ported, plenum ported for better flow and portmatched to the runners.
Im also getting a 3" catback, but dont know which brand yet.
The car is an -88 GTA 350, stock exept from an open air filter.
My question is: What other things must I consider?
Will the car run well with the stock chip? Will the car be more prone to overheating? Anything else Im overlooking?
I know the hp/tq gains will not be huge, but I got the baseplate for a really good price and am hoping this will at least amount to something...
Old 10-27-2014, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac gta
Engine: 5.7 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 3.27
I have the same car and looking for some "easier type " upgrades so I'm interested as well
Old 10-27-2014, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Warmed over 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 soon to be t56
Re: What to expect from intake upgrades

Honestly the Edelbrock "high flow" base does not flow much better than the stock intake. It is better, but not for what you pay. Port work is required to achieve decent numbers. But since you got the intake for what you say is a good price, then go for it!

The exhaust is a much better upgrade, and headers will help even more. I would go with headers/y-pipe/hi-flow cat before you get the intake. A full exhaust is one of the best upgrades for a TPI.

Getting a tune should help with some horsepower, and it may be even more beneficial with exhaust and intake upgrades. My car is basically stock and with a custom tune I noticed a small increase in power.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:13 PM

Car: -88 TA GTA
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: TH700

Yes, the plan was to get a good cat-back and either headers or just a better y-pipe(MAC). Maybe a high-flow cat. But then I found the edelbrock intake for 139usd brand new....
So Im definitely going to get a better exhaust.
I didnt plan to get the baseplate ported, since there will be no change of camshaft....yet . Should suffice for stock heads and cam?
Old 10-28-2014, 12:00 AM

Car: 88 5.7 Iroc, 2000 SS
Engine: Vortec Hot cam TPI/LS1
Transmission: Pro-Built/T-56

There is no reason not to port it while it's apart. Once running and tuned you will not want to tear it down again. Just know that you are leaving good performance on the table if you don't do it. Every car I've had that is ported and matched runs sooo much better than not.

Recently I noticed that my plenum wasn't opened up all the way for my 52mm throttle body (EGR walls were knocked down and blended and runners were matched and radiused) I just properly opened up and blended the transistions to the TB opening and I kid you not, the thing runs so much better all the way through the powerband its not even funny.(and faster on top)

Do all the free mods you can, and port away and make sure the assembly is meticulous. Many TPI cars dont run right because the people who work on them do crap work. When I got my runner gaskets they overhang the ports in a few spots that will cause reversion/tubulence and they will not run as fast or as smooth. So take your time and fit parts together, torque bolts properly etc..

Good exhaust work and matched intake and a tune on a stock cam is worth about 25~40rwhp and that much ft-lbs or a little more. on a stock cammed tpi it is hard to see much more than 260rwhp(full bolt-ons) unless you do heads and cam. But it will be fun to drive.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: ZZZ# 0607 of 1200 produced
Transmission: Pro-Built 700R4/Vig.2400
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW 9 Bolt PBR Disc

I agree. If the parts are not installed, invest in getting them opened up a bit. I have mine ported to just shy of superram base manifold port specs, smoothed, etc. My combo ran very well when first installed. I would not think that you will have any issues with the car running normally, aside from possibly having to reset the IAC for minimum air, and its always a good idea to reset the tps.

Will