TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI Iroc Cold -Air

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 5.7 Iroc, 2000 SS
Engine: Vortec Hot cam TPI/LS1
Transmission: Pro-Built/T-56
TPI Iroc Cold -Air

Just Though I post up a pic of the intake I made with some help from Dyno Don. It's a MAF car running a 3.5" intake to the 3" Richporter MAF to a 3" to 3.5" custom Elbow to a 3.5 To 4" to the Throttle Body.

The filter is a AEM Bruteforce dryflow 9" L 6" base, 3.5 I.D so basically more air than the car will ever use. Very noticeable pick up in Torque over the factory fully - free modded Iroc air box with K&N's (which I don't like because they suck dirt, the AEM is a much better filter media) Relocated the Battery to the trunk.

Just wanted to say I don't know what people are talking about saying how easy it is. The total amount of work is quite a bit for the performance. It is a great intake set up, but the time and cost to get all the parts makes it 50/50.

It is better than a free mod Iroc set up though.

Dyno Don did a bitchen job of modding up a 3.5 tube for me. The bend is tricky for sure. I guarantee you it's a weird slight twist to get it to fit. Don eyeballed it perfectly (He had a similar jig) However it is a TRUE COLD AIR, sucking in air from outside the engine bay. It does run really really good though. Butt dyno says it's got more.
Attached Thumbnails TPI Iroc Cold -Air-pb163617c.jpg   TPI Iroc Cold -Air-pb163618c.jpg   TPI Iroc Cold -Air-pb163621c.jpg  

Last edited by Kennerz; 11-16-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Frame chopped '98 chevy k2500
Engine: 350
Transmission: nv4500
Axle/Gears: 14b ff 4.10
Re: TPI Iroc Cold -Air

Could this be done with the elbow upside down pointed at the driver's side? Maybe snake it under the upper radiator hose and put it where the factory EVAP canister goes? My car falls on its face at high rpm (before the 2-3 shift) and i think the factory air box setup is to blame.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 5.7 Iroc, 2000 SS
Engine: Vortec Hot cam TPI/LS1
Transmission: Pro-Built/T-56

I'm sure it could be done, there just isn't much room. THing is:

- Factory dual fans would be very tight, and many things would have to be re-routed.

- either the richporter, or wells SU145 wafer style MAF flow more than a descreened standard MAF - so a stock screened MAF will not take advantage of an intake like this.

-If it's not bigger than 3" I don't see how much more you'll get over the TPI camaro with all free mods (cut boxes, K&N,etc..). Hence why I went 3.5, I wanted to go 4" if you do the math the total CFM is quite a bit more over a
3" or factory 2 3/4, 2 5/8? opening.

- If you have to keep your evap for smog (like me) I don't know where you would put it?

- If you haven't at least ported your plenum (knocked down the egr walls, and smoothed all the runner entries, and opened up the TB holes) this will not gain you as much.

It's basically the last thing I would do for power before more expensive mods. or if you've already done everything else. Great for a built or mildly built motor, not so much for a stock TPI with just a catback. I'm sure the bigger the motor the better the effect.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Frame chopped '98 chevy k2500
Engine: 350
Transmission: nv4500
Axle/Gears: 14b ff 4.10

Motor in the car is built. I have no idea what is in it but it has the factory non gutted air duct on it. I don't need the emissions stuff. It has a BBK throttle body on it, but after seeing that the factory air duct is still on it, i assume the intake has not been ported. The front of the intake is seeping a little coolant right now, so intake gaskets will come soon. That would be a good time to port everything and build an intake setup for it. It also has the stock exhaust manifolds on it. Not sure what the folks that built the car were thinking on that one.