TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 Iroc no start desperate Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 Iroc no start desperate Help needed

Hey guys, first id like to thank all of you guys, i have been searching and reading on this site for over two months trying to figure out what my cars issue are.. when i say two months i really mean working on it here and there as i get time to do so....

bought 90 Iroc convertible that sat for 14 years so it has multiple problems..
the purpose of buying this car is to drop an ls1 eventually a stroked lq4. but i first need to register it in CA. (yes i know lq4 is not legal in CA but that is not my immediate concern)

my next step is to replace all 8 injectors please advise on this as i will not be keeping the 305 tpi, i just need to get it running and inspected. so the cheaper the better

this is what i've done:

1-did not crank when i got it - vats issue so i bypassed it

2-crank but no fuel after Vats bypass -no fuel at schrader valve and could not hear pump prime- replaced fuel pump and clogged sending unit

3- still no start so i checked the fuel pressure at fuel rail 44 psi

4- checked pulse at injectors - they have pulse with noid lite , key on connectors have 12v

5- ohmed the injectors: all 8 are at 16.3.. clogged maybe? all eight?

6- checked spark with spark tester- inline from coil to cap has spark, then inline to all eight spark plug wires and all have spark

7 pulled spark plug #1 after all the cranking and no starting: dry plug

8. put on a mechanics stethoscope on injectors while cranking and i hear nothing on the injectors

engine will run momentarly with starter fluid..... at least when i first got it and it had the vats issue via some sort of bypass on the starter(previous owner has a wire going from starter to top of engine bay while i turned ignition on he sprayed started fluid and hooked this wire to the battery).. will get some starter fluid tonight and give it a try.. just for giggles and see if it still turns on

bought oil pressure switch but have not had a chance to instal yet.

my guess is the injectors are clogged..... if i have spark pulse and fuel what else could be preventing them from opening?

Thanks for the help in advance

this is my second 3rd gen...i love the looks of the 3rd gen vert, but i also love the power of the 4th gen ls1/ t56 combo which i've also had in the past... so i decided to combine the two as its a very popular swap.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird, 77 Trans Am SE, 86 Z28
Engine: 5.7 HSR, T/A 6.6, empty
Transmission: T-5, TH350, T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi, 3.23 posi, 3.23
Re: 90 Iroc no start desperate Help needed

I'd check both sides of the engine just to make sure all injectors are being told to fire. And check the #2 cylinder spark plug too. Just to be sure. Otherwise if you're for sure getting a noid light to blink, plugs to spark, fuel pressure, and still dry plugs, then I'm inclined to agree with clogged injectors. Timing being way off is possible but then you'd at least have gassy plugs.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: 89 350TPI Transplant
Transmission: 2004r
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: 90 Iroc no start desperate Help needed

Your injectors are probably bad/stuck closed/clogged. I bought a set of rebuilt injectors and let them sit on the shelf for about a year before installing them. Found out half of them would not open. You said your car had been sitting for 14 years. Replace your injectors.