TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I having fuel issues, elctrical, air, or all three?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Z
Engine: 89 305 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: OSD 10 bolt/ 3.42
Am I having fuel issues, elctrical, air, or all three?

Hi all, I apologize in advance for the long post

My main daily driver crapped out on me recently and I have been driving the camaro daily for now. Since doing this, several issues have come up. Ill try to describe them in detail the best I can. Some info on the car itself. Original 305 TPI car. Auto 700r4 was recently rebuilt a year ago. Spark plugs and wires, fuel pump, fuel filter, ignition coil and cap, tps, and oil pressure units recently replaced withing the last 3 years.

Ok so sometimes the car will run great, and other times it will not. My main issue is the car stalling on me when slowing down, turning, or putting it into park, drive, reverse, ect.. These mainly happen when the car is at operating temp, but not always. Is this an injector issue? When it does stall, I am able to start it right back up and drive away, but again not always. Sometimes it will start right back up and shut right off. Sometimes when I start it when it is cold, the car shakes more than what I feel is normal. Also, there is a hesitation when I push down on the gas peddle. And also, more recently, the car has sometimes stalled when going over a big bump or railroad crossing :/. But again, I can start it right back up. The car also sometimes sounds like it is running out of gas when it isn't. This tends to be an issue in lower rpms and goes away if I go over a certain rpm.

So I think that covers everything. Again it is a long read but Im ready to put some time and money into this car to get it running normal. Ill try to provide anymore details and info upon request. I appreciate any info and help that is provided,

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2015, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird, 77 Trans Am SE, 86 Z28
Engine: 5.7 HSR, T/A 6.6, empty
Transmission: T-5, TH350, T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi, 3.23 posi, 3.23
Re: Am I having fuel issues, elctrical, air, or all three?

Any codes? Judging by the issue of it having problems going over bumps I'd be looking at grounds, all wiring/connectors and the MAF sensor. On another thought, it could be junk in the fuel tank. Change the filter for grins, and the next time it stalls out and won't restart, check fuel pressure.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by aliceempire
Any codes? Judging by the issue of it having problems going over bumps I'd be looking at grounds, all wiring/connectors and the MAF sensor. On another thought, it could be junk in the fuel tank. Change the filter for grins, and the next time it stalls out and won't restart, check fuel pressure.
Unfortunately i dont think my check engine light works because it has never come on :/.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 GTA Notchback
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: don't know

Originally Posted by pbtrilogy
Unfortunately i dont think my check engine light works because it has never come on :/.
Not even before starting the car? If that is the case, either a bad bulb or ECU.

Does it run better when the tank is full compared to when it is time for a fill up?

I would check fuel pressures and filter, possibly a bad injector.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Start the car, let it warm up. Tap the MAF sensor with a screwdriver. (don't have to thump it hard, just enough to get it's attention.) if the engine stumbles, time for a new maf.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Veaceonee
Not even before starting the car? If that is the case, either a bad bulb or ECU.

Does it run better when the tank is full compared to when it is time for a fill up?

I would check fuel pressures and filter, possibly a bad injector.
Nope no light at all. Im hoping it is just the bulb...easy to replace? It seems to behave the same whether it is full or low on gas.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by ploegi
Start the car, let it warm up. Tap the MAF sensor with a screwdriver. (don't have to thump it hard, just enough to get it's attention.) if the engine stumbles, time for a new maf.
tapped the maf today and no stumble.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 GTA, 91 Formula, 89 TTA
Engine: all 225+ RWHP
Transmission: all OD
Axle/Gears: Always the good ones

Ohm the fuel injectors and see where that takes you.

Also check and clean grounds on pass rear of cylinder head, they are ecm grounds and frequently broken/loose(more broken) as the cars age. Check them at the battery and the engine block main grd. as well.

At the starter check out the fusible links and make sure all are intact and the wiring is ok and actually tightened down.

Kind hard to say more with information presented, but injectors do stupid things and leaking ones would be worse with a cold car and low rpm than high.

Of course you could have other stupid things going on with the iac as well.