TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I go bigger injectors on 5L "F-Code"

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro Z28 IROC
Engine: 5.0L TPI H.O. 215HP STOCK
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: GU6=3.42
Should I go bigger injectors on 5L "F-Code"

Howdy all,
So did some reading, and I think bigger than stock injectors is a good "punch" of HP increase for the cost, and mine are original. What I need to know is what else HAS to be changed if I go bigger injectors?
Mega squirt?
ECM from 5.7L donar car?
58mm throttle body?
I want to keep this as "stock" as possible, I wouldn't think a judge could eyeball a different injector.
Thanks in advance for your help,
Old 08-26-2015, 07:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 D44
Re: Should I go bigger injectors on 5L "F-Code"

Wrong cause-effect relationship. Just adding more fuel will not increase power.

Fuel isn't the power limiter at this point. Airflow is the limiter. So increase your airflow, then tune the fuel delivery to match (burn a chip, or get an EBL ECM and flash it). While tuning, if you find out you've "run out of injector", or exceeded the 19# injector's capacity, THEN you upsize your injectors, and re-program to match.

No hard parts NEED to be changed with an injector change. Just reprogram the ECM/chip so it knows what size injectors it is controlling.
MegaSquirt - if you want to swap to an aftermarket ECM, that is a whole can of worms by itself.
5.7 ECM - the only real change is the memcal/chip.
58mm throttle body - long bang for your buck. This is NOT your limiter at the point (stock/near stock), nor will it ever be the limiter while running stock long tube runners (LTR). Big cubes, HIGH RPM and a MiniRam/LT1 style intake, or possible an HSR could make use of the 58mm TB.
Judge - Once you NEED bigger injectors, taking your 5.0L / 19# injectors up to stock 5.7L / 22# injectors will cover "stock looking" increase in HP. Wide bodies vs the Bosch D3 "pencil" injectors are a very visually noticeable change.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:38 PM

Howdy MoJoe,
Thanks for the help with my questions, everything you said makes perfect sense. I will run a couple more bottles of Chevron with Techron and the tune-up and fuel filter at this time. What is everyone's input on the K&N air filters, are they REALY worth the $40-$50 each? I mean almost $100 for air filters??? Sure they are the last ones I will buy, but I have a hard time comparing the cost compared to another manufacture.
Thanks everyone
Old 08-26-2015, 09:15 PM

Hey MoJoe,
Just wondering what would happen if I went with bigger injectors but changed nothing else. I plan on changing my original injectors, I just don't want to do the job twice if I decide to start modding next summer.
Thanks
Old 08-27-2015, 07:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 D44

Originally Posted by Thornburg
Just wondering what would happen if I went with bigger injectors but changed nothing else.
Your gas mileage will go down. You won't pass emissions. You'll foul your plugs, which means the car will be hard to start and run poorly.

Work on airflow... exhaust, headers, runners. All these things will transfer over to future updates. The changes are still within the ECM's self-leaning/self-adjusting capabilities and will pick up some power. And all will enable bigger power gains if/when you start the next round of modifications... porting, heads, intake, cam, etc.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:33 PM

Cool deals, I pick up what your laying down...I smell what your stepping in....this engine needs to suck more and blow harder... Like my prom date... BOOOM THAT JUST HAPPENED