TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine parts: help please :D

Old 11-03-2015, 05:42 PM
NiG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Gray ttop GTA
Engine: 5700cc
Transmission: auto 700R4
engine parts: help please :D

Hi all

I'm about to place ad order on rockauto.com. I more or less know what I need, but I dont know where exactly to look. Im from Italy and not an engine mechanic I would really appreciate if someone would help.

I have '89 TA GTA 350ci, 150.000miles. I dont need performance parts, just stock. Not cheap parts however.

1) water pump. Mechanic told me its bearing are causing this low hiss from engine. What should I buy? Does it come with brand new bearing, if it has some?

2) fuel pump. Sometimes mine makes different sounds when you turn the key on. Sometimes car doesn't start immediately. What model should I buy?

3) valve seals. My car does big white smoke cloud at start. Where are the valve seals on rockauto?

I know there are other gasket in the engine that are supposed to be replaced after a while. Does it exist a sort of kit of gastek/bearings to replace all the main weared parts? A kit that perhaps includes the valve seals.

Thank you very much for any help
Old 11-07-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: engine parts: help please :D

Cìao, NiG. Your English is much better than my Italiano, so I'll be lazy.
  1. The water pump can be repaired with a double row bearing and seal cartridge if you cannot find a pump locally. However, the seal and bearing may cost as much as a replacement pump. Any cast iron replacement pump will work. They all use a new bearing and new seal cartridge. However, some use a stamped steel impeller and some use a cast iron impeller. Either type can erode over time, providing less coolant flow. Try to find one which is described as all new parts. The optional "heavy duty" replacement pumps employ a combination ball and roller bearing as well as larger impeller, and may be worth the small additional cost. You will probably need to remove the hose fitting from your existing pump and install it on the new pump.
  2. Fuel pumps can and will make varying noises when operating. Fuel level in the tank, cleanliness of fuel, vehicle level, ambient conditions, and system voltage can all affect pump operation and the resulting sounds they might produce. Since you are considering a replacement for a working pump, a factory pump is probably the safest choice, such as the DELPHI FE0110. Many people have reported problems with various brands of pumps and there is no definitely good or bad design. In any case, replacing the in-tank inlet filter (sock) while replacing the pump is prudent. Regular replacement of the inline fuel filter is also a good general maintenance habit.
  3. The valve seals used on these heads are simple O-ring type seals at the valve spring retainer and umbrella seals around the valve guide bosses. Be certain you get both sets of seals. Installing Teflon seals can provide better durability, especially on the exhaust valves, such as Fel-Pro SS72877 and Fel-Pro SS72527.

The replacement procedure is fairly simple:

4. Complete gasket sets like the 953417VR usually do not include bearings. Be certain the gasket set is designed for TPI applications.

Complete sets of bearings are usually not available, but are instead sold by application such as camshaft bearing sets, connecting rod bearings, and crankshaft bearing sets. When disassembling to replace bearings it is often discovered that undersized bearing shells are required. Until the engine is disassembled there is no good way to determine what sizes might be required. Camshaft bearings are the exception, and standard replacement shells such as SH1349S are available. While performing this work it is also advisable to remove the original core plugs and replace them. Complete expansion plug kits like the 3818059 are also available.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:11 AM
NiG

Thank you Vader! That's a kind of answer, you're very gentle
Oh yeah, try to write something in Italian, Im sure you can

Well, about the car parts. The premise is this: here in Italy is practically impossible to find any replacement part for this kind of cars. Nearly impossible to find something used, totally impossible to find something brand new.

1. For many reasons, my choice is buying something new. Repairing would need an expert guy and might cost more than a new water pump here in Italy. Im not an expert, I would buy the ACDELCO 252719 {#88926233}. Which one do you think is better from the rockauto list I put below? Do you think I have to buy the pulley also?

2. yeah I've already put a new fuel filter some months ago but didnt put a new strainer. Ill take one. It seems there are two good fuel pumps: the one you suggested and the ACDelco. I think I would go straigth with ACDelco even if it's more expensive. What do you suggest? Keep in mind that I would like (in the future) to mod the engine to have 20-30 more HP.

A friend suggested to buy a new pulsator too. What do you think?

3. you gave me a detailed answer. I searched on rockauto for some kits and founded:

I think I'll take the last two FEL-PRO. Are they ok?

4. about the bearings, everything seems very complex, so I think I wont change anything. Instead, I'll ask the mechanic to try to listen to some weird not good sounds/noise from the engine.

THANK YOU
Old 11-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

You can re-use your old pulley on the new water pump.

Delco EP241 is a good pump, I've used one for several years and it still works well. Definitely get a new strainer (sock).

Fel-Pro gaskets/seals are good.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:02 AM
NiG

yeah, thanks

About the pulsator? Is it intended to be replaced frequently? How can I know if it has to be replaced?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

its good practice to replace the pulsator , at the same time your changing the pump and strainer
Old 11-11-2015, 11:05 PM
Supreme Member

The purpose of the pulsator is to dampen fuel pump noise. Last fuel pump change, I eliminated it with a short piece of neoprene hose and a couple of clamps. Pump isn't any noisier than before.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:52 AM
NiG

ok got it. Well, about replacing the pulsator with a home-made piece, I'll gotta ask to mechanic. But that procedure frightens me
Old 11-12-2015, 06:24 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by NiG
ok got it. Well, about replacing the pulsator with a home-made piece, I'll gotta ask to mechanic. But that procedure frightens me

Nothing to worry about, it's common practice to delete pulsator. Just make sure you use 2 high pressure fuel injection clamps, not regular worm gear clamps.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:32 PM

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

The replacement of the pulsator with a fuel injection hose section is a viable option. Newer pumps, including replacements for older pumps, use a better turbine design and do not create noise like the older style. The pulsator has become unnecessary and is just another potential failure item.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:43 AM
NiG

thanks! Anyway I wont do the work, the mechanic will. I'll tell him everything.

Vader, about newer more silent pumps, are the one in the list I put above? Im talking about rockauto available parts.

Search this Thread