TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

temp gauge reads 10 degrees cooler than usual and engine startup rpm changed

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 06:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 89 TransAm GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: AUTO
Axle/Gears: 3:27
temp gauge reads 10 degrees cooler than usual and engine startup rpm changed

we replaced a bad spark plug wire on 5.7 tpi rear passenger side #8 cylinder i think. we had to go under the car to connect it to the engine. its the one farthest back near exhaust passenger side. we had to replace the one next to it also. so the back 2 .
however in doing so i think trying to remove the old spark plug wire we accidentally pulled on some other electrical wires.
i checked and it everything appeared to be connected from bottom side.
i should take a pic next time i am under the car. cuz i dont know what the thing is te wires go to.
now when i crank car it used to have a cool choppy idle warmup like it had a cam and then when it warms up it mellows out.
now its mellow but it had a high idle until it warms up.
and then i noted the temp gauge seems to show about 10 degrees cooler than where it usually is.
so i am wondering if the wire we pulled was temp gauge related or what. maybe a ground wire.

Last edited by 89GTASC; 11-11-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open
Re: temp gauge reads 10 degrees cooler than usual and engine startup rpm changed

the wire for your temp gauge is a single green one . see to it that it isnt burned and well connected. also the sending unit often goes bad , as well as the gauge itself . both are available ,still. re check your work ,and report back
Old 11-11-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 89 TransAm GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: AUTO
Axle/Gears: 3:27
Re: temp gauge reads 10 degrees cooler than usual and engine startup rpm changed

Originally Posted by rusty vango
the wire for your temp gauge is a single green one . see to it that it isnt burned and well connected. also the sending unit often goes bad , as well as the gauge itself . both are available ,still. re check your work ,and report back
all i did yesterday was trace the wire and it goes over the engine near firewall and is 1 of the wires going into some relay thingy on driverside firewall. there was a bunch of dirt and leaves under behind where the wire goes into relay so i just scooped a bunch of the dirt and leaves from under it and jiggled the wire to see if it was snug. started it today and surprisingly it didnt go up to 1500 rpms while warming up, it was about 1200 which seemed alot closer to normal, and it ran really good for me, sounded good. i am not good mechanically and so plan to see what my dad thinks when i show up what i see. until then just plan to try to drive everyday when i get off work and see if it continues to improve or not. still the temp gauge read about 10-20 degrees cooler than what is normally should be at.
it made me wish i could hook up a scanner to the obd-1 port to see what the eng temp the computer see's. i can do this on obd2 cars w my smartphone but havent figured how on obd-1 cars yet if its even possible.
tks4 the info
Old 11-11-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Transam GTA Notchback
Engine: 2003 Chevy 5.3 Vortec (325 cu)
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.27

the wire you pulled is your knock sensor, it goes into the ESC module which is behind the maf relays and fuel pump relay on the firewall