TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously, what's the deal with the homemade ram air mod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Seriously, what's the deal with the homemade ram air mod?

Ive been in this hobby for long time now and have had 6 of these car. All of them have had the lower filter boxes cut out of them to get a little more air into the engine but thats about as far as I have ever gone with a homemade ram air mod. Am I seriously missing out on the full effect by not adding in the dryer ducting or even the Hawks premade kit?

Just not sure its worth the effort to remove all the plastic between the radiator support and grille. Car is bone stock,engine wise, and I might put 30 miles on it a month.

Convince me that taking the extra steps to complete the ram air effect works..

Convince me that I would just be wasting my valuable time removing the plastic and fabbing up some sort of duct work,

Like I said, the air boxes/baffles under the two filters have already been cut out.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 - full intake & exhaust boltons
Transmission: Bowtie 700r4, 2400 rpm stall
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 9bolt, 3.45 gears, posi
Re: Seriously, what's the deal with the homemade ram air mod?

I've done this mod to my car when it was stock and after I put on a ported TPI intake. I used Hawks ram air boxes and connected them to the bottom of the airbox. Fast and cheap way to do it would be to get some heater duct work and mount them behind the fog lights to the bottom of the airbox.

When my car was stock with just full exhaust bolt (hooker headers & y-pipe, high flow cat and flomaster catback) on's it made a little seat of the pants improvement from idle to 3,500rpm. From 4,500rpm to 5,500 rpm the car didn't strain as much in typical stock TPI fashion. Never had the car on the dyno but it was a moderate improvement.

The intake modes really helps after I got the aftermarket parts put on. I got a 52mm throttle body, ported edlebrock base, ported plenum and ported SLP intake runners. The restriction now is the stock cylinder heads and stock airbox. I'm trying to figure out what heads and cam I want to run. I live in CA so all the stuff I do has to be smog legal unfortunately.

You can hear the engine suck in air now and there was a significant increase in power overall. If you are going to leave the intake stock I would just leave it as is. With these cars a combination of matched components gives you the most gain. At speed you get the ram air effect and you can feel a little difference there on a motor thats all stock. If you want more airflow you can take out the fog lights but I left mine in. I just like the look of the front end better with the fog lights in place.

You've got aftermarket exhaust and you have the N10 dual cat option so the motor should be exhaling pretty good. With headers and some high flow cats you would get a measurable gain in power. If you decide to do full intake mods doing the ram air set up would make more sense. That's really when you see and feel the benefit of a cold air intake.

Last edited by yaj15; 04-11-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28
Ive been in this hobby for long time now and have had 6 of these car. All of them have had the lower filter boxes cut out of them to get a little more air into the engine but thats about as far as I have ever gone with a homemade ram air mod. Am I seriously missing out on the full effect by not adding in the dryer ducting or even the Hawks premade kit?

Just not sure its worth the effort to remove all the plastic between the radiator support and grille. Car is bone stock,engine wise, and I might put 30 miles on it a month.

Convince me that taking the extra steps to complete the ram air effect works..

Convince me that I would just be wasting my valuable time removing the plastic and fabbing up some sort of duct work,

Like I said, the air boxes/baffles under the two filters have already been cut out.
With the narrow size of the inlets on the air box lid being a natural restriction, I can't imagine you'd get real gains outside of cutting the baffles, you may hear it more due to the air box's becoming basically megaphones but I guess I shouldn't knock it till I've tried it........
Old 04-12-2016, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I cant do anything with the stock TPI Y piece. Opening it up like some other members have done will not work with a stock hood, I don't think.

I am going to go ahead and fab something up quick that still leaves the plastic in place between the grill and radiator support.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1990 G92 IROC Z Miniram
Engine: 388cu 6.4 Liters
Transmission: G-Force T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Gears

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28
I cant do anything with the stock TPI Y piece. Opening it up like some other members have done will not work with a stock hood, I don't think.

I am going to go ahead and fab something up quick that still leaves the plastic in place between the grill and radiator support.
Look at my sig. My car went 12.24@119.62 with the stock air box modded and with slightly modded with the stock hood