TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 tpi starting help

Old 04-15-2016, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 tpi starting help

Okay so I have a 1985 305 tpi z28 that was swapped to a 350 at some point. I bought the car over a year and a half ago.

What I have done...
rebuilt motor, changed out heads, new wires, water pump, radiator, hoses, etc...

Car ran when I bought it but was knocking really bad so we re did everything. The problem is the harness is pretty hacked up from lack of tlc. I have splices and connectors that have just fallen off.
I do have fuel pressure as my schrader valve and one fuel injector leaked for a little bit ( leak went away after I played with both items ).
I do not know if I have spark but I think I flooded it before I found a secret kill switch in the center console. At least 2 kill switches.
I'm going to buy a volt meter so I can test wires and such to make sure everything is hot when its supposed to be.

My question what things can I do to give this car the best chance at just starting? I have heard I can unplug the MAF sensor and throttle position sensor and it should start just fine? I'm going to take some detailed pictures and depending on what yall say I'm going to just go carb or get a new harness.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:15 PM

Re: 1985 tpi starting help

Update: Okay so she wants to start, she kinda putters and spits but I cant get her to start. I tried advancing and retarding the distributor but no luck really. She sounds better when i advance it. Is there any one sensor that might do this if it wasnt working?

God i hate 1985 tpi.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Is it still flooded? If so, stomp the pedal to the floor, and hold it there while cranking.

Might wanna pull a couple plugs, and see if they are fouled.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ploegi
Is it still flooded? If so, stomp the pedal to the floor, and hold it there while cranking.

Might wanna pull a couple plugs, and see if they are fouled.
Update: pulled distributor and made sure TDC was all correctly set up. I have spark and fuel doesnt seem to be the issue as she wont run off of starter fluid.
When I crank the key it fires a split second but thats it. if I keep turning the motor over it will stop trying it seems. injectors wires are hot with key on. the pink wire to the distributor is hot.

I only have 2 wires going to the starter is that something that could keep the car from running? Also I know there should be a wire from battery to alternator but right now there isn't one.

Update: thinking of buying this
http://www.autozone.com/engine-manag...0/#tab-reviews
Then maybe just swapping my proms over.

Can anybody help me with getting the correct proms for a 1985 350 tpi? Seems like the corvettes were the only 350 tpi

By theory if I did not have the O2 sensor, Throttle position sensor, and MAF sensor it should run just off of pre mapping correct? She wont fire with those plugged in or unplugged.

I'm starting to think maybe my harness or ECU is crap. (how would I test it? I will google...).
Maybe it's time to save for a standalone set up as the 85 computer I have heard is less than optimal.

Would pictures of my current set up help? Like I said this is a fresh rebuilt block. She did start before we took her apart but that was almost 2 years ago.

Update: took some pictures, maybe the ecu is deadish
http://imgur.com/a/mHdt3

Last edited by konspiracy; 04-17-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Do you have spark at the plugs? Or, just from the coil?

Won't run on ether??
Old 04-27-2016, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ploegi
Do you have spark at the plugs? Or, just from the coil?

Won't run on ether??
I have been out of town this week and going to be working on the car this weekend.
When I start the car for the first turnover the motor does a quick fire but I cant seem to get it to work after that initial fire.

When I checked for spark it was bright but I'm going to get a spark light so I can see if its continuous. I really think the computer is killing something after the initial fire up. My problem is I dont know if my proms are good.

Really trying to talk myself out of just going carb