TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tpi help

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tpi help

I have an 88 t/a. Previous owner installed a 350. I am trying to get it running as well as I can without breaking the bank. The cat has been replaced with a straight pipe into flow masters. No o2 sensors, has a pos cold air intake. I did not see any sensors in that either. Car runs and drives ok but obviously without o2 sensors, maf, it is not tuned properly. Seems to run rich and use a ton of gas. the smog pump is still there, but it is starting to whine. Is there a way to lie to the car for the o2, should i install new o2, if so, where? Can I bypass smog? New chip for ecm? Help, this is my first tpi. In a perfect world I would replace and put back to stock but not in the budget. A friend has suggested a carb swap, but that seems prehistoric to me for this car.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Tpi help

Was the car converted over to Speed Density? If so then this would explain the lack of a MAF sensor. I assume by your statement " Car runs and drives ok but obviously without o2 sensors, maf, it is not tuned properly" you are implying that the car does not have a MAF sensor when it should.

I would 100000% install an O2 sensor in its factory location on the exhaust manifold. You just need one of them.

The smog pump can go in the trash if your state doesnt require emissions testing.

I cant answer you on needing a new PROM(chip) for the ECM that is currently in the car because I dont know whats going on.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:05 PM

I will take some pics of the engine bay later and post, honestly even though this stuff has been around forever, when I was a kid it just ran and did not require service, then I got older and I bought all 70's stuff with no computer and a carb. Now the stuff that was "too technical" when I was a kid is old **** and I know nothing about it! Time to learn!
Old 05-02-2016, 03:10 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

Sometimes the biggest messes can be the easiest to fix, because you don't have to search for the problems!

So obviously you have a TPI, right? ....I would also confirm it's a 350, and that it's running the proper ECM for an 88, and that you have the proper tune for the 350 in 88. Assuming you have all these, then make sure you have the sensors. MUST have a MAF and MUST have an o2. At this point, based on your post, I'd say the problem is somewhere in there. You can check all the other various sensors as well.

...and don't discount the value of a tune up! plugs, wires, cap, etc.etc.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:58 PM

I was mistaken, has o2 under manifold. Also has maf, it is a 350.
Originally Posted by Abubaca
Sometimes the biggest messes can be the easiest to fix, because you don't have to search for the problems!

So obviously you have a TPI, right? ....I would also confirm it's a 350, and that it's running the proper ECM for an 88, and that you have the proper tune for the 350 in 88. Assuming you have all these, then make sure you have the sensors. MUST have a MAF and MUST have an o2. At this point, based on your post, I'd say the problem is somewhere in there. You can check all the other various sensors as well.

...and don't discount the value of a tune up! plugs, wires, cap, etc.etc.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by redfivexw
I was mistaken, has o2 under manifold. Also has maf, it is a 350.

Last edited by redfivexw; 05-02-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:24 PM

The car is running hot (230), i wired the fans to run all the time from key on because i thought that would help keep it cool. If i run the heater in the car, the temp drops down to 190. It seems to be running rich, terrible gas mileage, smells of fuel. The exhaust sounds like a mack truck (not the nice flowmaster sound). It is not leaking, just sounds like a truck. I got it pretty much with all the mods installed, so not sure where to start or how to make sure everything works.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:24 PM

already did the tune up
Old 05-02-2016, 09:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 G92 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 342

Is your Check Engine light on? Does it ever come on? Meaning do you see it illuminate when you turn on the key without starting the car? Seems like a silly question, but that bulb can go out and/or somebody could have removed the bulb....and with all of your issues I would guess it's throwing codes.

Also, that cat delete will make your car smell like a 1960's tow truck. I fought with the smell too. Thought maybe the re-tuned prom chip was at fault after I did removed all of the emissions gear. Turns out the previous owner of the car did a nice job hollowing out the CATS and welding them back together so nobody would notice. After replacing them with functioning CATS the raw fuel smell went away.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '88 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: L98 TPI 350
Transmission: 700R-4

Originally Posted by redfivexw
The car is running hot (230), i wired the fans to run all the time from key on because i thought that would help keep it cool. If i run the heater in the car, the temp drops down to 190. It seems to be running rich, terrible gas mileage, smells of fuel. The exhaust sounds like a mack truck (not the nice flowmaster sound). It is not leaking, just sounds like a truck. I got it pretty much with all the mods installed, so not sure where to start or how to make sure everything works.
When does it run hot? when you're driving or when you're sitting at a light? I know my car will get hot when I'm sitting at a light but on the highway it will stay at 180 or so. I also had a previous issue with a car that doesn't have overdrive and turns 3000rpm at 65mph. It ran hot on the highway until I upgraded the radiator.

If the temps drop with the heater on you may have a radiator issue. When my firebird radiator was replaced there was grit that looked like gravel in it and the whole block was flushed and a new heater control valve was installed too. No cooling problems since then and the ecm turns the fans on at 225deg. I watched it to make sure. I had my hand on the keys in case it didn't.

You didn't show pics of the oxygen sensor on the drivers side manifold. I had replaced mine after picking one up for $10 on sale and it made a difference even though the one already in the car wasn't that old.