TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Rebuild Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Rebuild Questions

Hello all,

My '89 RS is equipped with the 2.8L 173 CUID MPFI engine. I am interested in rebuilding her when the time comes. She runs just fine at the moment, but I was curious as to what all is needed for a proper rebuild and a possible price estimate.

Thanks in advance, y'all! Any information provided is extremely useful.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:58 AM

Car: 1989 Formula
Engine: 355ci HSR SBC
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Engine Rebuild Questions

If you tackle it yourself figure just a few hundred dollars.
You can get re-ring kits that include do the gaskets and piston rings for around 150 bucks online. If you need new pistons, those kits are around 350. Figure new connecting rod bolts and fluids.... another 100 bucks.
Of course, if you don't have an engine hoist and stand, you could find those for a hundred or two second hand. A local machine shop should be able to clean the block up after you take it apart for 150-300, depending on what work it needs.

Figure a low end of 400, and a high of 800.

Add 1000-2000 to that for a shop to do the work.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/ek-ek0747

http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/ek-er0746

Last edited by truckerz; 05-16-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by truckerz
If you tackle it yourself figure just a few hundred dollars.
You can get re-ring kits that include do the gaskets and piston rings for around 150 bucks online. If you need new pistons, those kits are around 350. Figure new connecting rod bolts and fluids.... another 100 bucks.
Of course, if you don't have an engine hoist and stand, you could find those for a hundred or two second hand. A local machine shop should be able to clean the block up after you take it apart for 150-300, depending on what work it needs.

Figure a low end of 400, and a high of 800.

Add 1000-2000 to that for a shop to do the work.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/ek-ek0747

http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/ek-er0746

As a soldier, there are a few places I could go to on post that offer a lift/tools/assistance, so the shop middleman is cut out. However, my engine knowledge is fairly limited.

Would this be a difficult job for a novice? I am mechanically inclined - just not a lot of hands-on work with engines.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by That Sky Guy
As a soldier, there are a few places I could go to on post that offer a lift/tools/assistance, so the shop middleman is cut out. However, my engine knowledge is fairly limited.

Would this be a difficult job for a novice? I am mechanically inclined - just not a lot of hands-on work with engines.
Hey Sky Guy , wanna save a boatload of cash ?

Since our "base model" cars aren't worth a whole ton of money with their six cylinders and automatic transmissions , there is no real reason to remain tied to the original engine just so the "numbers match" . Rare TTA with matching number original engine = good money . Our sixes no matter what engine = meh money . With that in mind , when your engine does finally wear out , why not grab a low mileage 3.1 and put that in it ? A little more power and a lot less money .

PS , if it's running fine now , and you don't really beat the crap outta it , the engine is likely to last longer than the rest of the car .
Old 05-16-2016, 03:24 PM

Car: 1989 Formula
Engine: 355ci HSR SBC
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

It can be done. It isn't rocket science. The best thing you could do for yourself is to get some literature on engine builds. There are a vast amount of "how to" books that go through the process, step by step. These books also will have the tools required and all the tolerance measurements. Read through them and then ask yourself if you could do the job. Just make sure you have more money for the job (I usually budget 20% or so) than you think it will take, and if you do the job, take it slow. Triple check everything, label wires, and parts as you take them off. Organization, and patience is key.
When you put everything together, measure twice, and take your time. There are many people on this board were first time engine builders, and many were successful. Do A LOT of research on the process, and ask yourself if it's for you.

What orange said though..... If it runs well, leave it be. (Don't fix what isn't broken, ya know)

If you really want to get into these cars, find a cheap one with a bad engine and build a 350, while you enjoy your 6.