TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

305 TPI Running Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
305 TPI Running Issues

Over the last month or so I occasionally get a few running issues on the car.

When I start it up from cold, the "service engine soon" light remains on but very dim. When it does that it revs rather high and it also seems the cooling fans don't kick in when the engine is up to temperature. I'm guessing that the engine is still in warm up mode and this point?

Also last weekend I went to a cruise and on the highway it felt like it kept changing gear. The revs were all over the place between 1800-2300 revs doing 70-80mph and once again the SES light was on. When I got there and parked up, it continued to rev high and started jerking when I wanted to creep forward.

Any ideas?
Old 05-18-2016, 01:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: L31-R 350 w/ EBL P4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: 305 TPI Running Issues

Have you tried to check for codes when the SES light is on?
Old 05-19-2016, 08:41 AM

I'm going to sound like an absolute noob here but where and how do I check the codes?

I've bought myself a Haynes manual which should help me.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: L31-R 350 w/ EBL P4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Originally Posted by FormulaEngland
I'm going to sound like an absolute noob here but where and how do I check the codes?

I've bought myself a Haynes manual which should help me.
Take a look at this thread: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/paci...de-reader.html

In short: short out the A and B pins on the OBD1 connector under the dash and count the flashes of the SES light. This will give you the code(s).

Or you can find an actual OBD1 scan tool. Those are pretty rare these days but they do exist.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dartht33bagger
Take a look at this thread: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/paci...de-reader.html

In short: short out the A and B pins on the OBD1 connector under the dash and count the flashes of the SES light. This will give you the code(s).

Or you can find an actual OBD1 scan tool. Those are pretty rare these days but they do exist.
Thanks very much for that. I'll try that method over the weekend and report back what I find!
Old 05-22-2016, 08:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 236 Likes on 182 Posts
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

I have had the same issues with mine.I will be cruising along and the revs just jump up and down 3-4 hundred. When I stop the idle will jump up and if i am not holding the brake it will lunge on the engine surge. this was happening on a daily basis. I got it under control now where it only happens once or twice a week now and the rev jump is less, 1-2 hundred and it does not lunge forward when it jumps up.
I ran a total of 5 cans of fuel injector cleaner through 2 tanks of fuel and it made a world of difference. My car has only averaged about 2300 miles per year so it did alot of sitting and I think I had sticky, clogged injectors. These injectors are not the greatest to start with and are prone to failure. I should clean or replace the injectors but I have plans for the engine and these injectors are not part of it.
Not sure if your car has sat alot with gas in it, like mine did, but this might be a good place to start. I posted a thread in this forum called "engine Surges" In it is an IAC reset, you should try that also.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by vinny R
I have had the same issues with mine.I will be cruising along and the revs just jump up and down 3-4 hundred. When I stop the idle will jump up and if i am not holding the brake it will lunge on the engine surge. this was happening on a daily basis. I got it under control now where it only happens once or twice a week now and the rev jump is less, 1-2 hundred and it does not lunge forward when it jumps up.
I ran a total of 5 cans of fuel injector cleaner through 2 tanks of fuel and it made a world of difference. My car has only averaged about 2300 miles per year so it did alot of sitting and I think I had sticky, clogged injectors. These injectors are not the greatest to start with and are prone to failure. I should clean or replace the injectors but I have plans for the engine and these injectors are not part of it.
Not sure if your car has sat alot with gas in it, like mine did, but this might be a good place to start. I posted a thread in this forum called "engine Surges" In it is an IAC reset, you should try that also.
That sounds exactly like what mines been doing. It does get left in the garage often as it's a weekend car and it spent most of the winter in there too.

What fuel injector cleaner did you use? I'm going away this weekend to a show which should be a good run for it. I'll get some cleaner before I go away and see if that makes a difference.

Didn't manage to get around to checking the codes either this weekend but I'll report what I find when I do check them. The car is going for it's new exhaust backbox tomorrow so when I collect it on Wednesday it should be sounding exactly as it should....loud
Old 05-23-2016, 06:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 236 Likes on 182 Posts
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

I used Seafoam. Not sure if you can get this in the UK. Techron is also good.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by vinny R
I used Seafoam. Not sure if you can get this in the UK. Techron is also good.
I can get both of those from sellers on Amazon UK. I shall try those.