TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing intake and fuel rail. Questions.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 350-TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi
Removing intake and fuel rail. Questions.

I am replacing my intake manifold gaskets due to an oil leak coming from the back. I will also be installing a South Bay AFPR.

I have some questions.

1. Since I will be removing the fuel rail, is there anything I should replace besides the diaphragm and regulator? The previous owner replaced the injectors with Bosch IIIs. I've ohm and balance tested (using the appropriate tester) them and they are fine. Should I just replace the bottom injector o-rings and call it good? I don't want to disassemble the entire rail if it's not necessary. You know the old saying "If it ain't broke..."

2. I've read that using the rubber end seals in the intake manifold gasket kit is pointless and you're better off using RTV. Thoughts? Just run a bead along the front and back?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2016, 07:52 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt Borg Warner Posi 3.27
Re: Removing intake and fuel rail. Questions.

Hello,

I just replaced my injectors and installed a AFPR.. I decided I would take the fuel rail apart and replace all the O-rings. Good thing I did.. the Fuel Rail was COMPLETELY clogged with fuel varnish.. Powdery white/yellow varnish clogged up the FPR and the rail. I have no idea how it was running.. It ran well too!!

I would recommend replacing all the o-rings in the fuel rail and cleaning it out. It's super easy..
Old 07-17-2016, 09:30 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

taking apart everything is pretty easy. I'd check over ALL the o-rings, although, they're probably OK. ....also, upon reassembly, Southbay calls for putting the injectors in the manifold first, and then tightening the rails down on top of them. That doesn't SEEM like the easiest way, but they say it prevents leaks.

...yes, RTV along the china wall is pretty time tested.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:19 PM

Absolutely put them into the manifold first. Take a blunt object like the handle of a hammer place it on top of the injector and just bump it on top with your hand. You will feel the O ring pop into the manifold. Then put the fuel rail on top. If you just place the injectors in the holes and try to tighten them up with the four bolts on top of the fuel rail you will almost always have some leaks around the injectors. Ask me how I know. I would go ahead and take the fuel rail apart and replace all the O rings. These cars are getting some age on them and with the ethanol in the fuel now days replacing rubber gaskets just makes sense.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by johng1
Absolutely put them into the manifold first. Take a blunt object like the handle of a hammer place it on top of the injector and just bump it on top with your hand. You will feel the O ring pop into the manifold. Then put the fuel rail on top. If you just place the injectors in the holes and try to tighten them up with the four bolts on top of the fuel rail you will almost always have some leaks around the injectors. Ask me how I know. I would go ahead and take the fuel rail apart and replace all the O rings. These cars are getting some age on them and with the ethanol in the fuel now days replacing rubber gaskets just makes sense.

Thanks for the information!
Old 07-17-2016, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by RED85TPI
Hello,

I just replaced my injectors and installed a AFPR.. I decided I would take the fuel rail apart and replace all the O-rings. Good thing I did.. the Fuel Rail was COMPLETELY clogged with fuel varnish.. Powdery white/yellow varnish clogged up the FPR and the rail. I have no idea how it was running.. It ran well too!!

I would recommend replacing all the o-rings in the fuel rail and cleaning it out. It's super easy..
I took the FPR off and it doesn't look nearly as bad as you describe, but I will still clean up the rail. This is the time to do it.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Abubaca
taking apart everything is pretty easy. I'd check over ALL the o-rings, although, they're probably OK. ....also, upon reassembly, Southbay calls for putting the injectors in the manifold first, and then tightening the rails down on top of them. That doesn't SEEM like the easiest way, but they say it prevents leaks.

...yes, RTV along the china wall is pretty time tested.
Thanks. Turns out the intake kit I got doesn't even have the rubber end seals. RTV it is!