TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noobie nitrous questions

Old 08-03-2016, 12:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird, 87 E'LS' Camino
Engine: 5.7 TPI, 5.3
Transmission: 700R4,200R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 Lock Right locker/2.43
noobie nitrous questions

So this up coming off season I really want to run nitrous just because I don't know much about it and want to learn about it as I play, so I know I want to run a wet set up since I already have an AN fitting that I can use to supply it, but I do have a few questions, are there any other NHRA rule related to nitrous or is it still all based of times? also what is a purge kit is it necessary? since the the nitrous does draw some fuel do I need to run a higher pressure? I understand that bottle jackets and heaters keep the gas warm so there is pressure, but is that something that is needed for a starter kit? What is safe for a stock bottom end? is it legal to have on the street (I won't be using it on the street but don't want to get pulled over and have my car impounded)? where is the best place to put the nozzles I heard of drilling and tapping the throttle body right before the throttle plates? What all would need to be tuned in the ecu? I have heard you need to retard timing 10 degrees per 100hp shot is that accurate? Is that base timing or something that can be set in the tune? where would be a good spot to mount the tank I should have my louvers on by then so the back hatch will always be in shade. for efi set ups do they have to be ran off the WOT switch or can it be a push button like the movies? Growing up I heard one tail of a leaking tank blow up a guys car and have been kinda afread of it, so how safe is nitrous? I have learned in demo cars that cars with cages are not the easiest and quickest thing to get out of if there is a fire. Thanks for you time and if you guy have any 2 cents to add that would be great.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:21 AM

Re: noobie nitrous questions

ohh also I have a MSD box that controls my limiter is there a way to make sure that I don't spray at limiter?
Old 08-03-2016, 12:25 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

NHRA rule... ???

purge kit is not necessary

nitrous does draw some fuel do NOT need to run a higher pressure

bottle jackets and heaters keep the gas warm so there is pressure, but is that something that is needed for a starter kit...
Yes, it keeps the bottle at optimum pressure by adjusting how hot / cool all the time...

safe for a stock bottom end
100 shot for 305 engines and 150 shot for 350 engines, many people have done here with no problems...

legal to have on the street... depends where you live and what cop pulls you over...

best place to put the nozzles
Buy the NOS TPI kit, has a plate that goes between throttle body and plenum for both fuel and NOS.

What all would need to be tuned in the ecu? I have heard you need to retard timing 10 degrees per 100hp shot is that accurate? Is that base timing or something that can be set in the tune?
It's 2 degrees for every 50 HP of NOS, so for a 100 shot, 4 degrees - and preferably colder spark plugs... Some MSD (or other boxes) can perform this duty of retarding the timing.

for efi set ups do they have to be ran off the WOT switch or can it be a push button like the movies?
You don't want nitrous on at lower RPMs 3000 or less... and you don't want it on when the rev limiter is on... so a "window switch" that you set RPM 3000 on and 5200 off, rev limit @ 5400, etc... Can still have a Hollywood button, but I would still use the WOT switch in line with it, so no NOS at part throttle...

Growing up I heard one tail of a leaking tank blow up a guys car and have been kinda afread of it, so how safe is nitrous? I have learned in demo cars that cars with cages are not the easiest and quickest thing to get out of if there is a fire.

There is a blow off / down tube that vents outside of car that comes with most systems...

Get a fuel safety switch... if your fuel runs low at full nitrous, boom engine.
If this safety switch senses low pressure, shuts off system, no damage...
The TPI NOS kit comes with lines that tap fuel right from the TPI fuel rails...

Good luck...
Old 08-09-2016, 01:38 AM

yeah I have bounced around the idea of using a spacer but the hard to come by and almost cost as much as the rest of the kit and is there really any benefit to it? the biggest issue is I am running the stealth ram intake right now and am already having hood clearance and T.V. cable issue. and I highly doubt I will have money for a new hood as well. never heard of a window switch but that is a great idea where can I get one of those I isn't that part of the solenoids job is to make sure there is fuel? or is it just to add extra fuel in to keep it from running lean? also how exactly would the "colder spark plugs help" what does that mean by the way? I wonder since the the intake base of the stealth rams has the look of dual quads I wonder if I can just modifie a carb spacer? Anyone seen anything like that?
Old 08-12-2016, 11:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Go to the NOS website and download the manual for any "universal" nitrous kit, and read the manual. That will answer 90% of your questions. Buy a kit, set it up per the manual, and it's nearly fool proof.

Worst part about nitrous is how quickly the tank runs dry, and the cost of a refill. I've still got my nitrous setup, but doubt I'll use it again, simply because of the cost of refills and fleeting nature of it. Maybe if I were a track junkie, or needed every last drop of power possible, it would be different.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:26 PM

I saw a video saying that you should put it in the air tube 6" before the throttle plates why would that be more effective, should would make it alot easier to install