TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 Iroc Restoration Tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Black on black 1985 Iroc Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 manual
1985 Iroc Restoration Tips

Hi all,
I've been a member for over ten years now and have frequently referenced the site for great information. First off, I am finally (after ten years of owning it) going to start the restore of my 1985 Iroc. I'm going to give you a little background info so you know what Im dealing with first. Like I said, I bought the car about ten years ago and drove her home. The car ran very well, believe it or not, considering that I bought the car from a couple of "jack legs" that took off the original TPI, trashed the original 305 and R4 tranny and dropped in a 305 HO with a carb and a T5 tranny. It was without a doubt the worst hack job of wiring I have ever seen, but as I said it did run well and the original interior cleaned up nice.SO, for the first 5 years I owned the car I drove it on nice days, or a couple of miles every month or so to let her stretch her legs. About 5 years ago I let the car sit a bit too long (close to a year) without driving it, but I charged up the battery, primed the carb and she fired right up. For a month or so I was driving it around the block about one a week or so and just having a little fun with it when suddenly one day it just died on me...Turned out to be the fuel pump. So...admittedly, I have let her sit for the past 4 years, only occasionally turning the car over. So....I have been wanting to do right by this car since I owned it, but until recently I was afraid it would cost way more than the car would be worth to fix it right.Now that the values seem to be going up I am a little more willing to sink some money in the car. So far here is what I have done...Bought a correct set of Iroc wheels, bought a complete TPI set up with all wiring minus distributor from a 1987 Iroc with a 305. This week I have dropped the tank to replace the fuel pump only to find the tank and sending unit to be too rusty to reuse. I just ordered a brand new EFI fuel tank and sending unit (both Dorman brand, and I have the Delphi fuel pump and new sock. That should get me set as far as fuel delivery goes (I hope)... They had plumbed in an aftermaket fuel pump outside the tank-with lower pressure for the carb and wired it with get this, an orange drop cord...whew. So I am looking for any tips I can get for returning this car to the original type setup. I have always been a fan of the low end torque with a TPI set up, so that is what I prefer to do. I have always been a first gen Camaro guy, but have always liked the third gens as well, so this is my first attempt at setting up a TPI setup. I have bought a couple of books on the basics of the TPI, but I know you guys have a ton of info to share here and I would appreciate any tips on what to avoid, what may need replacing, best distributor to purchase, ect on a fairly tight budget. I would eventually like to add the air back onto the car as well as have the PROM tuned for max performance. I would appreciate any feedback as I have searched and found many topics to do with swapping from TPI to carb, but very few about putting the TPI back on. If this has already been covered, please point out the thread, but I have not found it in my searches. Thanks much!
Old 09-10-2016, 09:03 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 89 IROC/89 Vert/87 Vert/89 GTA Vert
Engine: 5.7/5.0/5.0/5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9" 2.77/9" 3:23/9" 3:42
Re: 1985 Iroc Restoration Tips

I have a better idea. I have a complete running 305 TPI in an 86 Z28 in St. Louis. Never been out of car (actually a complete car) that I'd sell to you for $600. That would give you the 700r4, 305 TPI,all wiring, accessories & ECM. I bought it for my 87 then decided I really wanted a hydraulic roller instead.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:16 PM

rarebmx, Thats not a bad idea...I have considered it with a couple of other cars that are within driving distance of me. Found one a couple of weeks ago in the same price range...Actually, the motor runs good and I like the T5....Since it doesnt have the original engine I would like to eventually drop in a 350 TPI and a T56...It has really been a struggle as what to do with this car...I just thought it would be a good project for me, and get me acquainted with fuel injection engines if I fixed it...Plus, after 10 years I have grown somewhat attached to the car and will probably wind up keeping it for a good long while...Thanks for the offer...Will consider it for sure. Sure wish you were closer to me...it would cost more to have it shipped to me than the whole car LOL...But still worthy of consideration.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:20 PM

Trailer and some driving is what I'd do. Just all the small parts are going to nickel & dime you to death. The TPI isn't tough to set up but there are lots of little details of TPI that can drive you nuts.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:50 PM

All very good points....As I said, still struggling with my best plan of attack LOL...Ultimately I would like a 350 TPI with my T5, eventually swapping that for a more durable tranny to handle the 350...That's why I have waited so long I guess about doing anything with it...
Old 09-10-2016, 10:13 PM

In my eyes: you want to upgrade? Forget a 305 or 3550 with TPI. Go LS1 with T56. Your car never was available as a 350 & putting a 350 in just doesn't make much sense. I have 305 TPI & 350 TPI cars. The difference isn't significant to justify either. The T5 unless a World Class won't really handle a high output 350. T56 is better.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:44 PM

You are correct. My car never came with the 350. For me, it would just be nice to have the extra ponies yet still retain the original look. Yes, I like for them to at least appear original. I agree swapping to an LS1 and T56 would be a significant upgrade over the TPI and T5, but i would rather retain some degree of original appearance. I am also very aware that the T5 was not intended to be mated with a 350, so a tranny swap would be in order if I decide to drop in the 350. Really just a matter of taste. I appreciate your help and opinion though. Exactly why I posted this!
Old 09-11-2016, 06:16 PM

So...I may be making a mistake, but for now I think I have most everything I will need to get the car converted back to a TPI, and that is what I am going to attempt to do. After some thought today, the existing 305 runs great and is strong, so I think I'll just keep the engine in, and install the TPI....Hoping that most of the stuff I need will still be there. I did get the computer setup (ECM I think) from the 1987 engine, that I assume I should trade out for the one that's currently in it. Again, any suggestions on things to look for, possible gremlins, ect. I would appreciate if anyone has done this before.
Thanks much,
Ray