TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vapor canister vacuum

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 305 LB9
Transmission: 700r4
Vapor canister vacuum

Quick question,

I've been getting terrible mpg in town. Approx. 12 mpg. Used to get 17 to 20 because of how easy I drive. Changed oil the other day and spark plugs were done a few months back. So I went snooping and I found the round portion on top of the vapor canister had its vacuum hose come loose and off. So I bought a new more snug fitting one at Autozone. Would that have had an adverse affect on my mpg? Or should I continue looking else where
Old 11-14-2016, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: Vapor canister vacuum

In general, yes.

If you have a vacuum leak, this creates a lean mixture condition which the O2 sensor will report to the ECM. The ECM in turn will try to richen the mixture by decreasing the injector dwell time (the time the injector is off). Net result, your engine is now running overly rich.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 305 LB9
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Vapor canister vacuum

Originally Posted by paulo57509
In general, yes.

If you have a vacuum leak, this creates a lean mixture condition which the O2 sensor will report to the ECM. The ECM in turn will try to richen the mixture by decreasing the injector dwell time (the time the injector is off). Net result, your engine is now running overly rich.
Makes sense. Smelled more like gas than usual. I've noticed a big difference with it running while sitting, which it does a lot. Uses a lot less gas just sitting there running.