Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Tips/Tricks for Installing Axles, Bearings, Seals

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: Tips/Tricks for Installing Axles, Bearings, Seals

Originally Posted by NW Task Force
The bearing/seal that I used was one from Napa Auto Parts. It is a one piece unit designed for grooved axle shafts and actually moves the sealing surface to a new part on the shaft. Is this where I went wrong?
Probably. I've read that they're a waste of time—they were in my case anyway. I used one several years ago to save the expense of buying new axles. Eventually I had to purchase new axles AND do the job a second time. Personally, I wouldn't recommend them.

JamesC
Old 07-07-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesC
Probably. I've read that they're a waste of time—they were in my case anyway. I used one several years ago to save the expense of buying new axles. Eventually I had to purchase new axles AND do the job a second time. Personally, I wouldn't recommend them.

JamesC
I finally got my rear axle shafts to seal properly! It was a big hassle and some surprising findings! I ended up pulling the new $40. 1 piece seal/bearing units from the axle. When I pulled them out using a slide hammer, small metal shavings came out as well. I measured the I.D. of the seal and compared to the O.D. of the axle shaft.............. I couldn't believe it! 1/16" of seal to axle shaft open clearance!!!!! No wonder these stupid units leaked! I compared them to the OEM replacement seals and the measurement was drastic. The OEM seals were slightly smaller in diameter than the axle shaft, this is much better. I also discovered that installing these one piece seal/bearing units screwed up the axle tube. Installing them shaved the I.D. of the tube, therefore making the new OEM replacement bearings fit with the slight push of the hand. I ended up using Loctite bearing retaining compound (green stuff) to captivate the new OEM bearing. Worked great and no leaks now. I would like to pass along this experience to others...........the 1 piece bearing/seal saver units are garbage! They ruin your axle tube and the lip seal is too large for the axle shaft! I am relieved that I was able to fix the issue with stock replacement items.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:55 PM

Car: 86 T/A - 70 Z28/RS
Engine: Broke - 350
Transmission: 700R4 - M22
Axle/Gears: G80, 2.73 - ZQ9 G80 4.10

Originally Posted by big gear head
I'd like to add a few things.

This isn't a problem on the later rear ends, but the '60s and early '70s cars with the Eaton posi had a big problem with the thrust washers sliding out from behind the 2 pinion gears when you removed the cross shaft. Many people never noticed that the washer was gone and they just put the shaft back in and let it go. This would allow the pinion gear to eat into the soft case and ruin it. It also changes the preload on the clutches and changes the contact area of the gears, which will make them break easier.
What I like to do is after removing the "c-clips" from the axles I carefully pull the axles back out to there original location and I place the pin back into the carrier and loosely put the bolt back in (about 1/2 turn) then I remove the axles. This helps keep the spider gears and shims from accidentally rotating out of the carrier.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 AM

Car: 91 trans am
Engine: ?
Transmission: auto 4sp
Axle/Gears: posi

help
my axcles go in out 1/4 on driver side have cover off everthing looks good could it be c clips worn out. what do need to do so I can get back to driving my car enjoy rest of the summer
Old 05-18-2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by gallaire
my axcles go in out 1/4 on driver side have cover off everthing looks good could it be c clips worn out. what do need to do so I can get back to driving my car enjoy rest of the summer
Check the 10-Bolt FAQ sticky for more information.

JamesC
Old 06-28-2014, 03:24 PM

Car: 89 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 L98
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Hey dude wicked right up, helped me remember a lot and pics were killer! One thing I did want to make light of though is that the c clips only affect the 10 bolts, if ya got a 9 bolt you can skip all the first steps and go straight to removing the brake calipers if I remember correctly. doing wheel bearings, axle seals, fuel filter, starter and trans mount today, illl post back in a new thread with the trials and tribulations
Old 10-30-2014, 02:07 PM

Car: 87 GTA Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
Transmission: TCI transmission
Axle/Gears: 4th gen rear end. With 3.83

What kind of oil did you use for the rear end?
Old 10-30-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brianbajnuth
What kind of oil did you use for the rear end?
From the 10-Bolt FAQ (if you have a 10-bolt):

What Gear Oil Should I Use?
Standard 80-90 weight and a friction modifer (GM P/N 1052358) if the limited slip is an Auburn.* A Gov-Lock or open/standard differential doesn’t require the additive. The rear holds approximately two quarts of gear oil.

*Though some TGO members use a full synthetic, such as Mobil 1 75-90, along with the above friction modifier, both Auburn and Eaton do not recommend synthetics for usage with their limited slips.

JamesC
Old 08-20-2019, 10:08 PM

Car: 84 Camaro and a 82 camaro
Engine: Both are 5.7 litters
Transmission: Both are manual transmission
Axle/Gears: Both 3.73

Originally Posted by JamesC
Push the axle inward to remove the C clip. A magnet is helpful.
I took those yellow springs out how do I put them back in?