Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700r4 pump bushing install

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700 R4
700r4 pump bushing install

Hi. I want to change the front pump bushing in my 700r4. Is it a tough job? Can someone guide me along? Trannsmission is already out of the car.. And also what gaskets/o-rings will I need for this job?
Old 03-22-2012, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Corvette
Engine: 5.7 liter
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.07
Re: 700r4 pump bushing install

I assume the pump is not out yet. Supposedly you need the fancy tool to get the pump out but it's actually very easy without tools. Remove the filter, auxiliary valve body pipe, TCC solenoid and all the pump mounting bolts. Pry on the back of the pump through the openings in the case with a big screwdriver and it will come out.

You need to take the pump apart because the bushing is pressed in from the inside. You can get the bushing out by finding the parting line (it can be hard to see) and pounding on it with an old screwdriver (that's the way the local trans shop does it -- surprised me with the high-tech methodology).

Getting the new bushing in straight can be difficult. This is what I used:

You will need a new front pump seal (you have to take it out to get the bushing out), a new gasket for the two halves of the pump and a new pump-to-case gasket. There is also a seal that goes around the outside of the pump. It looks like an O-ring but it's square. I think that's all.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700 R4

Originally Posted by cliffharris
I assume the pump is not out yet. Supposedly you need the fancy tool to get the pump out but it's actually very easy without tools. Remove the filter, auxiliary valve body pipe, TCC solenoid and all the pump mounting bolts. Pry on the back of the pump through the openings in the case with a big screwdriver and it will come out.

You need to take the pump apart because the bushing is pressed in from the inside. You can get the bushing out by finding the parting line (it can be hard to see) and pounding on it with an old screwdriver (that's the way the local trans shop does it -- surprised me with the high-tech methodology).

Getting the new bushing in straight can be difficult. This is what I used:

You will need a new front pump seal (you have to take it out to get the bushing out), a new gasket for the two halves of the pump and a new pump-to-case gasket. There is also a seal that goes around the outside of the pump. It looks like an O-ring but it's square. I think that's all.
Thank you for the good info.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

If it is a 1987 and later transmission, you will need to remove the bushing by driving it out of the pump from front to back, and reinstall it from back to front, as there is a ledge that keeps the bushing from coming out of the front of the pump. The ledge can be broken from a mis-install or removal. Always install the Teflon bushing. Stop the install of the bushing at the second land. If you go to far down, it will shrink the inner diameter of the bushing and the torque converter will not go back on.