Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700r4, added fluid, now acts like the TV was moved.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS running MS2X
Engine: .48/.60AR T3/T4 2.8L V6
Transmission: Rebuilt 700R4 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: Next to break...
700r4, added fluid, now acts like the TV was moved.

So....

Got the car running well after the turbo install. Pulls like a freight train, doesnt slip, shifts perfect. TV cable is set and where its supposed to be.

Checked fluid while it was hot and running, 1/2 quart low so I top it off, close the hood, and shut the car down.

Drove it today, started shifting high on every gear. I never touched the TV cable, and I have a small screw installed to lock it into place. Checked fluid while hot, right on the line.

It shifted high and slipped quite a bit so I didnt drive it much. What happened?

Ok go...
Old 09-20-2014, 09:43 AM
Banned

So whats going on that made adding half a quart of fluid make the trans act like I moved the TV cable?
Old 09-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open
Re: 700r4, added fluid, now acts like the TV was moved.

Originally Posted by willexoIX
So whats going on that made adding half a quart of fluid make the trans act like I moved the TV cable?
maybe your governor gear decided to take a nap. or you could have a piece of crap blocking something in the valve body.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rusty vango
maybe your governor gear decided to take a nap. or you could have a piece of crap blocking something in the valve body.
It has been mentioned before as I know the governor controls the shift points.

I discovered that the throttle cable was in the cruise control cable spot, (cruise control removed). However that doesn't really explain anything because it was like that when it shifted perfect. I know the geometry of the TV cable would be slightly different if the throttle cable was in the CC spot, so I put it back where it was supposed to be.

Did a small short test. Set the TV cable back towards the firewall 2 clicks. Yes I know this is frowned upon and that it can burn up the trans, which is why I only took it up and down the street to see where the part throttle shifts were. They came down some but I do not think that tweaking the TV cable is a fix.

So the question remains, why would adding a half quart of trans fluid change the way the trans shifts? Nothing was changed at all. Fluid is on the full hot line when hot and shifted through the gears. Fluid is not burnt. Car pulled like a freight train before and shifted perfect with no slip, and the whole car has been taken good care of at all times. Added that fluid and slip and high shifts.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

I think it's a coincidence. I don't see how adding a pint of ATF could make the shifts wonky.

You're going to end up having to pop the governor cover off and put the eye ball on it.

What kind of ATF did you add? Any additives in the fluid? How long was the car sitting before this started?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by paulo57509
I think it's a coincidence. I don't see how adding a pint of ATF could make the shifts wonky.

You're going to end up having to pop the governor cover off and put the eye ball on it.

What kind of ATF did you add? Any additives in the fluid? How long was the car sitting before this started?
I have used the same high mileage atf since I bought the car in 08. I know the TV didn't move so I guess I will have to take a look at the governor.

The car hasn't really sat, aside from the time to install an aftermarket ecm, then it was driven while tuning, then a couple months to install the turbo setup, then driven while tuning (note the trans was still shifting perfect at this point). Recently it sat for about a month in a half while I didn't have a license. Once I got that back I drove it after fixing the valve lash adjustment on cyl 6 and it ran like a dream with perfect shifts and no slipping till I added fluid. At no time was the TCC locked under boost either. I only lock that when cruising in 3rd or 4th, and if I decide to get in the throttle, I flip the switch off.

Last edited by willexoIX; 09-25-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Banned

And just to clarify, fluid checked hot with the engine running after cycling the gears, fluid was directly on the add line. Added half a quart while running and its on the full hot line. Fluid is red with no burnt smell. Maybe slight at the most cause when I felt it slipping I babied it back to the house.

So from what I recall, moving the TV can burn out the trans, though it will happen much quicker if moved towards the firewall. Away from the firewall will burn it, but would take much longer.

Currently mine is set as follows...

Since you want an immediate line pressure rise the moment the throttle is depressed, I did the typical set procedure. I also set the cable to where the moment the throttle is depressed, is the exact moment that the TV lever in the trans makes contact with the TV plunger, resulting in instant pressure increase, which IIRC is exactly where the cable needs to be to work properly.

I have noticed though, move the cable away from the firewall the shifts get higher, towards and the shift gets lower.

DISCLAIMER- DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES MOVE THE TV CABLE FROM ITS "SET" POSITION! IT IS NOT THERE TO ADJUST YOUR SHIFT POINTS!

Just had to throw that out there for anyone that reads this thread. If you want to try moving the TV cable, do so at your own risk. But do keep in mind it WILL cook your trans if you drive it that way.

Edit- Stupid question. Say the speedometer gear in the trans sheared some teeth off, is there a way for those pieces to get into the valve body?

Last edited by willexoIX; 09-25-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Banned

Either the governor woke up from its nap or something was clogged. Didn't touch anything, went for a drive and all shift points were dead on, even 4th gear. No slip whatsoever. Completely back to the way it was before.

Hopefully itll stay that way, if not I will re-update the thread or make a new one.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by willexoIX
Either the governor woke up from its nap or something was clogged. Didn't touch anything, went for a drive and all shift points were dead on, even 4th gear. No slip whatsoever. Completely back to the way it was before.

Hopefully itll stay that way, if not I will re-update the thread or make a new one.
sometimes , a piece of debris will get caught in the valve body.giving you the trouble you describe, its a common thing. glad you got it figured out.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Banned

I wonder if this was a symptom of the 3-4 clutch pack going out. Cause the clutches are now toast, but 1st and 2nd still work. Also fried the TCC cause I left the switch on in boost accidentally.

Waiting on a call from Dana to get it figured out.