Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Monitoring Transmission Health

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 09:50 AM
NiG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Gray ttop GTA
Engine: 5700cc
Transmission: auto 700R4
Monitoring Transmission Health

Hi guys

Im about to receive my '89 GTA with 150k miles, so I've reading about tranny safety/health and it seems that the most important thing is the oil temperature.

First question is: that oil is supposed to be the turque converter fluid or the oil inside the internal gears? Or both (if it's the same)?

In another topic a guy told me that the T/A cooler is enough for the tranny safety, and there is no need to put an aftermarket cooler. Do you agree?

Third question is about installing a temperature gauge kit. Is it an easy or hard procedure? I found this video:

It seems that all you have to do, as far as the transmission is concerned, is to take out a screw in order to put in the temperature sensor. Is this enough for the sensor? I thought you gotta somehow drill the block and put in a sensor, such a delicate procedure.

For the gauge kit, could be ok something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-M-80212-2-...-/310637353126 ?

Does someone have already mounted a tranny temperature sensor?

THANKS TO ALL
Old 11-16-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: Monitoring Transmission Health

The best place to mount a trans temp sensor is in the pan. That's the oil reservoir. You don't want to measure oil temp when it's under pressure as that will give a false reading. This will require removing the transmission pan and drilling a hole in it to mount the sensor. The hole needs to be somewhere that the sensor doesn't interfere with the valve body.

Heat kills transmissions. If in doubt about how you use your transmission, install an aftermarket trans cooler. If you install a higher than stock stall converter, install a trans cooler. Stacked plate designed coolers are more efficient than tube and fin coolers but also cost more.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 91camaro rs,2014 silverado 5.3L
Engine: 5.7Lcarb,5.3L
Transmission: 700-r4, 6L80
Axle/Gears: strange 3.73's

i have that gauge in my car. it is easy to install. i have the sensor in the return line coming from the aux cooler. like alky said, it might not be the most accurate but it works for me.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:04 AM
NiG

No no kit exists?

Old 11-29-2014, 12:07 PM

Car: 1987 Trans AM WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: TH700R4 Stock
Axle/Gears: 3.08 LSD

You could install a Trans Temp gauge hooked to your Transmission pressure test port!
Anyway, the coolest the transmission, the longer will last.
You can ( and I Highly recommend you ) install a trans cooler that provides more cooling than you need for a stock 700r4!

Last edited by F-body driver; 11-29-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

So how hot does a healthy stock 700r4 get with mild driving ?
Old 11-30-2014, 06:18 AM

I guess a healthy unit will read about 180F or 190F with the stock cooler
Above 210F/220F your tranny is on his way to go
If you drive out of the city is better because radiator provides MORE cooling than driving around town.
Personally when I am at the stoplight i put in park, in order to let the fluid cool! If you leave in drive with your foot on the brake, there's fluid slippage in the converter that heats up your fluid.
I'm not a trans guy, so let me know if I'm mistaken

Last edited by F-body driver; 11-30-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:56 AM
NiG

Originally Posted by F-body driver
your Transmission pressure test port!
What is it? A sort of physical place to insert a temperature sensor? If yes, where is it?
thanks

Originally Posted by F-body driver
Personally when I am at the stoplight i put in park, in order to let the fluid cool! If you leave in drive with your foot on the brake, there's fluid slippage in the converter that heats up your fluid.
For the same reason I put in in N
Old 12-01-2014, 07:05 AM

Yes, it is and is located near the servo or here: it depends on the case you have

Last edited by F-body driver; 12-01-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:16 AM
NiG

Wow, that's cool! So I have to 1) buy a temperature sensor 2) place it there 3) wire it with a gauge somewhere in the dash 4) enjoy it.

Am I correct?

Why did GM expected this kind of feature (arraging this) but did not place a temperature indicator in the dash??? :/ :/
Old 12-01-2014, 07:21 AM

It is a line pressure test port that can be used for a temp checking purpose.
Just ground it on the chassis and wire it to the dash.
If you wanna test your trans health you can check your line pressure too
Old 12-01-2014, 08:49 AM
NiG

Thanks FBody Driver
But... what is the line pressure used for? I mean, if I attach the temp sensor on it, I will lose the original its original aiming, right?
Old 12-01-2014, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by NiG
Thanks FBody Driver
But... what is the line pressure used for? I mean, if I attach the temp sensor on it, I will lose the original its original aiming, right?
That port could be used for its original purpose when needed.You can disconnect the trans oil temp sending unit (temp sender) and plug an oil pressure gauge. Why checking trans line pressure? To find leaking seal or seals for example.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

A temperature gage would be nice but just for fun I'm going to buy an Infrared temp gun and start testing everything from the trans pan and lines to axillary cooler and see what I come up with.

Besides, I love tools so it will be another one for the box.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 12-17-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 355, 10.34:1, 249/252 @.050", IK200
Transmission: TH-400, 3500 stall 9.5" converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9", detroit locker, 3.89 gears

The pressure port can be used for a temp gauge.

GM made the port to test pressure, set up TV cable the right way and to use at dealership/trans shop to test the working cond. of transmission.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

if you keep your Transmission under 170F and it's easy with a aftermarket cooler to do so. heat will never be a prob with your tranny.

mine with a 9" convtr and street driven never see's 170. its always under 165. even when racing on the weekends.. the temperature sensor is in the out going line from the tranny reading the highest fluid temperature..

back in the 80's when i was racing fords.. (67 Fairlane GTA 390)but with a 427./C6.lol(should have never sold that car..)
working for aamco i had a 2nd temperature sensor in the pan and i could switch back and forth to check the diff temps... i can tell you there was a diff..and if you want to know how hot your trans is running place it in the out going line..and never let it see 190/200+ the fluid will start to turn(from cherry red to..well you know) when it gets that hot. and life is shorter for it..(ford type F)fluid i still used it in my GM trans just me...unless you want to use some off the wall$$$ stuff..

remember..it's the fluid ya want to Keep cool...in turn it keeps your trany alive.. keeping tabs on what it's doing will go a long way it helping the life of your trans..

(on a side note: NEVER EVER add any stop leak.. to your trans.. always replace whats leaking!!)

Last edited by articwhiteZ; 12-06-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:13 AM
NiG

Thanks.

But if I put a temp sensor in the pressure port, I wont be able anymore to use that port for what it was designed, correct? Is this going to be a problem?

Originally Posted by articwhiteZ
mine with a 9" convtr and street driven never see's 170
Thanks for your advices articwhiteZ
Could you tell me what piece you used as a transmission oil radiator, and what is needed to install it?

thanks!
Old 12-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 355, 10.34:1, 249/252 @.050", IK200
Transmission: TH-400, 3500 stall 9.5" converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9", detroit locker, 3.89 gears

If you ever need to use the pressure port, you just unscrew the temp sender and screw in your pressure gauge.

As far as a trans cooler, I like the stacked plate style like the B&M super cooler. These just work better.

It comes with everything you need to install it with
Old 12-12-2014, 07:43 PM
NiG

Will try to check that in January, when I planned to do all the works with my mechanic

talk to you in that moment then.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

The "best" place to put the temperature gauge is in the return top line to the transmission. This will give you instant readings on how good your cooling system is doing in real time. You will know quickly if you need to make changes here to keep the temperature where you want. If the temperatures can be kept at 155F - 185F the vast majority of time, the transmission oil can go over 100,000 miles. When towing or climbing hills you will see higher temperatures and if this is what you do a lot of, then you will need to make the necessary changes to keep it in the right range. If the temperatures stay high for more than just a short time, then the oil will make a "state change" burn. If burnt lightly, then no damage will likely occur in the transmission. If the oil is badly burned, do not even drive it, as the oil has lost all of its lubrication ability. Tow it to where ever it needs to go to do a "complete oil change" here. You may have not damaged the internal parts, but a close examination of what is in the pan will most likely tell you if you need to go into the transmission. If the transmission was slipping badly, then you will most likely see clutch material in the bottom of the pan away from the pan magnet, and a oil change here will not save this. There is no specific time to change the transmission oil. You should monitor it, by checking it at least once a week or anytime you do something out of the ordinary. As long as the oil looks and smells ok, leave it alone. Changing good oil for new oil does nothing except draining your wallet, and if a mistake is made here.......

Last edited by Pro Built Automatics; 12-17-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:57 PM
NiG

Thang you

There's just a detail that a lay person like me is not sure about: what is precisely the return top line? I think it's the pipe from which the cooled oil goes back inside the tranny.

Do I have to cut it, and place in the middle a kind of pipe with a built-in temp sensor? If so, what kind of sensor do you suggest me?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2014, 09:00 AM

I didn't make this pic, I saved this months ago from a forum member
Old 12-28-2014, 10:08 AM
NiG

got it, thanks
Old 04-02-2020, 06:33 PM

If anyone is reading this post now, the best place for the temperature gauge is most certainly not at the outlet of the transmission oil cooler. That location does not even give an indication of the effectiveness of the oil cooler. It does not compare the incoming temperature with the outgoing temperature. That would give an indication of the effectiveness of the cooler. It most certainly would not give an indication of the temperature of the transmission.

And that from a transmission builder.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics
The "best" place to put the temperature gauge is in the return top line to the transmission. This will give you instant readings on how good your cooling system is doing in real time. You will know quickly if you need to make changes here to keep the temperature where you want. If the temperatures can be kept at 155F - 185F the vast majority of time, the transmission oil can go over 100,000 miles. When towing or climbing hills you will see higher temperatures and if this is what you do a lot of, then you will need to make the necessary changes to keep it in the right range. If the temperatures stay high for more than just a short time, then the oil will make a "state change" burn. If burnt lightly, then no damage will likely occur in the transmission. If the oil is badly burned, do not even drive it, as the oil has lost all of its lubrication ability. Tow it to where ever it needs to go to do a "complete oil change" here. You may have not damaged the internal parts, but a close examination of what is in the pan will most likely tell you if you need to go into the transmission. If the transmission was slipping badly, then you will most likely see clutch material in the bottom of the pan away from the pan magnet, and a oil change here will not save this. There is no specific time to change the transmission oil. You should monitor it, by checking it at least once a week or anytime you do something out of the ordinary. As long as the oil looks and smells ok, leave it alone. Changing good oil for new oil does nothing except draining your wallet, and if a mistake is made here.......
Originally Posted by lyleapgmc
If anyone is reading this post now, the best place for the temperature gauge is most certainly not at the outlet of the transmission oil cooler. That location does not even give an indication of the effectiveness of the oil cooler. It does not compare the incoming temperature with the outgoing temperature. That would give an indication of the effectiveness of the cooler. It most certainly would not give an indication of the temperature of the transmission.

And that from a transmission builder.
And your credentials are ????? Dana has been a board resource here pretty much forever and your first post is to try to discredit his info ? Sorry new guy , I'll take the word of someone whose contributed as much as Dana has over some new guy trying to look smart any day of the week , and twice on Sundays .
Old 04-02-2020, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
And your credentials are ????? Dana has been a board resource here pretty much forever and your first post is to try to discredit his info ? Sorry new guy , I'll take the word of someone whose contributed as much as Dana has over some new guy trying to look smart any day of the week , and twice on Sundays .
Well, I am not as new as you seem to think. Just new here. About to tell this board to shove it if everyone here is like you.

Think about what I said. What temperature do you want to read? Is it the temperature of some already cooled oil? I think not. You want to know the temperature of the transmission..The oil at the outlet of the cooler is not the transmission oil temperature. Put the sensor in the transmission.

Who is Dana? What are his or her credentials? How long has he or she been posting here?
Old 04-02-2020, 07:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by lyleapgmc
Well, I am not as new as you seem to think. Just new here. About to tell this board to shove it if everyone here is like you.

Think about what I said. What temperature do you want to read? Is it the temperature of some already cooled oil? I think not. You want to know the temperature of the transmission..The oil at the outlet of the cooler is not the transmission oil temperature. Put the sensor in the transmission.

Who is Dana? What are his or her credentials? How long has he or she been posting here?
Tell me , do you have a 1982 through 1992 Chevy Camaro or Pontiac Firebird ? If so , then yes you belong here at this board , despite the confrontational nature of your first post . If not , then fine , by all means leave . Dana is a very reputable transmission builder whose been posting here since 1999 . Now , I will not attempt to speak for him but I'm gonna have to go on the assumption (Yeah , I know the whole thing about ASSumptions , so don't even go there ) that the temperatures he quoted with his recommendation had taken into account the fact that the fluid HAD been through the cooler that he recommended measuring the output temperature of .

Remember , when your first post is an attempt to discredit a reputable long time forum contributor , you gotta expect a bit of pushback ....

Last edited by OrangeBird; 04-02-2020 at 07:49 PM.