Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

"LubeGard" - To Use, Or Not To Use

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More
"LubeGard" - To Use, Or Not To Use

Trying to get as much of a diversified response on this stuff as possible.

10oz bottle of "LubeGard". Red top. It was recommended to me to use this stuff with my transmission. I'm running a built 700R4 with a TransGo 2&3 kit. Stick Only (full manual) setup. Upgraded servos (corvette intermediate and sonnax overdrive), .500 boost valve, auxiliary plate & fin cooler with fan, remote transmission filter. I'm about to upgrade the torque converter to a 9.5" 3000 stall Street Edge. Going to re-fill the setup with Amsoil Super Shift ATF.

I am a firm DIS-believer in bottled miracles, however this stuff was highly recommended. I did hours of research on it over the web and could only find positive reviews from everything such as Amazon to forums. Researched the composition of the stuff, in addition to the findings about the "LXE" it's composed of and the intended replacement of the whale oil from the 60s and 70s. Talked to a few people personally all of which either did not know anything about it or had no opinion. Did hear a single negative response from someone saying it fragged their trans but that could easily be "the" coincidence.

A few concerns, aside from my disbelief in bottled miracles:

- All the positive reviews I read were either from people who had a high mileage transmission with issues and claimed it fixed them, or people who just used it as preventive maintenance with no ill effects, however nothing definitively scientific to back their usage.

- All the opinions I read seemed to be people with typical daily usage vehicles. Nothing in a high abuse or racing oriented environment.

- I'm concerned about any sort of friction modifiers the stuff may contain, which would defeat the purpose of using the Super Shift ATF (Alot of the reviews claimed that it made their transmissions shift "smoother", eliminated TCC shudder and etc.)

- Amsoil is already such a reputable and quality fluid that I can't see it needing any other additives.

- Fluid composition and components have come such a long way from the era of the stuff this LubeGard was intended to replace, which makes me question it's need in today's market.

What has been insinuated of the stuff is that it will help prevent stuck valves, prolong clutch life, make the fluid more resistant to high temperatures (Not that my transmission has any heat issues) and etc. I'm trying to do as much research into the matter as possible, but just can't seem to find anything that makes me say, "Oh **** I DEFINITELY need to run this!!!"

Has anyone had any experience with the stuff or have an opinion on it?

Last edited by FireDemonSiC; 11-26-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: "LubeGard" - To Use, Or Not To Use

Since you will likely find as many different opinions as there are respondents to your question , here's my take on this ;

You say you have a "built" 700R4 and then go on to list all the high performance parts installed . But what you didn't say , the most important part of the answer , is WHO built it ? Presumably a transmission shop that deals in high performance applications ? If so , the obvious answer would be to ask the people who built it what they recommend , and follow it to the letter . Any other answers are , like you say , non scientific "I think it helped" answers of not much use in your particular instance ....
Old 11-28-2014, 12:07 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
Since you will likely find as many different opinions as there are respondents to your question , here's my take on this ;

You say you have a "built" 700R4 and then go on to list all the high performance parts installed . But what you didn't say , the most important part of the answer , is WHO built it ? Presumably a transmission shop that deals in high performance applications ? If so , the obvious answer would be to ask the people who built it what they recommend , and follow it to the letter . Any other answers are , like you say , non scientific "I think it helped" answers of not much use in your particular instance ....
The guy who built my transmission (There were two. Both brothers. Sadly today one of them has passed due to cancer.) Used to have their own shop but closed it down in favor of running their business from home. Two car garage with lifts in back of his house. He was the type of guy who didn't even believe in synthetic fluid.

The transmission is definitely well out of warranty (Although it's been going strong for the last 20k miles/3 years and even stood up to a 175 shot just fine) however I don't think anything specific with the build applies to the LubeGard. It's just one of those things in a bottle that you're supposed to dump in and reap all sorts of thousands of dollars worth of benefits from $10.

Me myself? I'm not a believer in that sort of stuff. However, I won't particularly exclude that one freak occurrence where the right amount of R&D and scientific research actually created a useful product.

Just trying to get as much insight as I can. But so far, I haven't seen anything to make me say it's a definite go. Which makes me say not worth the chance.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

I am like you in that I don't believe in "miracles in a bottle" either , a properly maintained machine of any sort shouldn't need any "help" from these types of products . I have come from an aircraft maintenance background and have never seen an aircraft engine manufacturer recommending these products be used in their machinery (I know we're talking transmissions here , but then I've never seen any Helicopter gearboxes specified to use them either) . I do see the intrigue in the wondering "have ANY of these been 100% proven to work ?" in the hope that maybe of em may have come up with a working formula , and I still think that folks who build high performance transmissions would be who to ask . I know you said the guys who built yours are no longer available , but maybe try to ask some of the other companies ?
Old 11-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
I am like you in that I don't believe in "miracles in a bottle" either , a properly maintained machine of any sort shouldn't need any "help" from these types of products . I have come from an aircraft maintenance background and have never seen an aircraft engine manufacturer recommending these products be used in their machinery (I know we're talking transmissions here , but then I've never seen any Helicopter gearboxes specified to use them either) . I do see the intrigue in the wondering "have ANY of these been 100% proven to work ?" in the hope that maybe of em may have come up with a working formula , and I still think that folks who build high performance transmissions would be who to ask . I know you said the guys who built yours are no longer available , but maybe try to ask some of the other companies ?
I'll give a few companies a call and see what they say. Thank you for the
Old 12-07-2014, 04:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Who told you that this is a "miracle in bottle"? What kind of "miracle"? It will help with making the oil do a better job, that's it. I am very familiar with Amsoil, just not the Amsoil Super Shift ATF. I have recommended Amsoil for over 20 years now. It was the best according to independent testers a few years ago, for about 15 years at that time. This new Amsoil Super Shift ATF, I know nothing about, but you won't go wrong with their normal oil. If you want to add Lubegard, I gather it can't hurt. But with this good of an oil (Amsoil) it is not really necessary in my opinion. With a "less quality of an oil", then this additive might be warranted.