Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

tv cable wont self ajust

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 camaro berlinetta
Engine: v8
Transmission: 700r4
tv cable wont self ajust

my tv cable doesnt self ajust when i try the method stated in the tech article. but my trans mission shifts too low it starts in second most of the time and stacks the gears to the point that it is hitting locked in overdrive at 30mph with minimal throttle. this is the only shift that is consistent 1-2 is 8 to 10, 2-3 is randomly in the twentys, 3-tcc locked4 is always 30. all shifts are slow and mushy feeling. and if even if i floor it the transmission takes a second or two to kickdown and sometimes it doesnt at all it just builds speed slowly at the low rpm

i tryed to ajust the cable out just one click(i think because it doesnt click i can just kinda feel what seems like a click with the button pressed and it looks about the same as 1 click on the other vehicles i have ajusted) but then the shift points are way too high but consistent and strong. shifts 1-2 at 23-25, 2-3 at 40, and OD at 58 at the minimum throttle the vehicle will accelerate. from what i have read the shifts should occur about 5mph lower wich coresponds with about 1800-2000 on the tach. i have tryed to push the ajuster back but i only get these two outcomes, the almost idle shifts or 5mph up, there is no inbetween.

my speedometer is within 1mph of the gps on my phone.

the carb is a non cc quadrajet, that the previous owner installed, but the rest of the car seems to work normal with the computer. tcc locks up only when engine is warm, unpluging map sensor seemed to affect the timing. carb was installed kind of jerry rigged with the cables being bolted on or in the case of the tv hooked over a screw head
is the tv cable broken or the ajuster stuck? or is this more likely a different problem?
Old 12-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.
Re: tv cable wont self ajust

Possiblites.

Your TV cable could be one of the following
  • Ratcheting mechanism is broken
  • Cable is stretched beyond the adjustment mechanisms ability to calibrate it.

There is only ONE setting for the TV cable.

Depress the button. Grab the sheath and pull back on it (away from the throttle blades). Release the button.

Slowly depress the throttle till you reach 100% throttle.

You are done, TV cable is adjusted if its working properly. If it isn't then the cable is broken, or you have a transmission problem which will likely require a rebuild.

Get a genuine GM cable if they are still available. I had horrible luck with the Parts store stuff.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 GTA Notchback
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: don't know

My TV cable is brand new GM OEM. It does not ratchet, never has. I did the whole pull the sheath back thing and it seems to work fine.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Supreme Member

Not all cables make an audible noise. Have someone look while you perform the calibration.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:15 PM

ok i know the cable doesnt move at all when i try to ajust it. but i have found some more info that might affect things. the carb says murcruiser on it and matches the pictures of marine carbs i have seen online. could this be causing shifting problems if the geometry is wrong? i also know the carb is not new, could it have been on a car before that had the th350? and would that cause problems like this? the carb does have a whole with a screw in it that is about were the cable should hook up.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS running MS2X
Engine: .48/.60AR T3/T4 2.8L V6
Transmission: Rebuilt 700R4 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: Next to break...
Originally Posted by nater
ok i know the cable doesnt move at all when i try to ajust it. but i have found some more info that might affect things. the carb says murcruiser on it and matches the pictures of marine carbs i have seen online. could this be causing shifting problems if the geometry is wrong? i also know the carb is not new, could it have been on a car before that had the th350? and would that cause problems like this? the carb does have a whole with a screw in it that is about were the cable should hook up.
Chances are you need the TV geometry correction kit for that particular marine carb.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:41 PM

Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 350 LT1
Axle/Gears: 3.73

hey guys i have a problem my t.v cable wont adjust i swapped out to a holley 650dbl pumper throttle cable is ok tv cable has slack help
Old 01-18-2015, 08:34 PM

ok i found the problem. i put the carb at WOT and then pulled on the linkage and it came out nearly a half inch. i used some spacers and it still didnt self ajust but i was able to ajust it right, the car shifts great now. thanks for the help guys.

but one other thing if it is this bad can it cause the car not to go into gear after it sat for a couple days in -degree weather. i started it i just didnt bother moving it.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by nater
ok i found the problem. i put the carb at WOT and then pulled on the linkage and it came out nearly a half inch. i used some spacers and it still didnt self ajust but i was able to ajust it right, the car shifts great now. thanks for the help guys.

but one other thing if it is this bad can it cause the car not to go into gear after it sat for a couple days in -degree weather. i started it i just didnt bother moving it.
You need to get the proper linkage on the car.

There is only one proper calibration that won't cause excessive wear. Too soft and you wear the clutch packs from excessive slippage. Too hard and the hard parts take a beating.

Best to research the correct linkage so you can adjust it properly. From there you can use a TransGo Shiftkit to make it 100x better.