Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

T-5 Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-5 Swap Questions

Hi; I discovered the other day the front pump seal on my 700R4 is leaking (yes I'm sure; cleaned everything with brake cleaning fluid, clearly leaking from the bottom of the seal). I figure since I'm pulling the trans, I might as well move forward with a T-5 swap. I've done a lot of searching and have found most of my answers, but I have a couple more questions before pulling the trigger.

First, I'm running Hedman long-tubes with true duals, so obviously I have interference concerns with the slave. I'd prefer not to touch the exhaust, since it's already fit properly, so I'm considering running a Howe Hydrolic TOB to make the swap simple. Two questions: Can I use the factory master clutch cylinder with the Howe TOB? I don't want the cost to get too far out of hand too quickly. Also, what would be the simplest way to extend the bleeder screw outside the bell housing? I think there's a kit, but if there's a simpler (and cheaper) way of extending it, it would be preferable.

Second, I know Hawks has the 5-speed conversion kit available for 1200; is there anyone else who sells the kit? I remember seeing another site that sold them a few years ago, but for the life of me, I haven't been able to track it back down.

Third, as long as I get a trans with the mech speedo tailhousing, it's just a case of screwing the cable on the T-5, right (speedo cables interchangeable?)?

Lastly, has anyone done the swap without entirely removing the center console? just asking. I'd rather not remove the whole thing if I don't have to.

This is for my 86 Z28 (LG4, currently a 700R4). Thanks in advance for all your help!
Old 03-14-2015, 10:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: T-5 Swap Questions

Y get rid of the 700r4? how much hp you have? I destroyed my t-5 and put a 700r4 in and love it. slap stick baby. If i remember correctly the t5 is much smaller. everything fit, drive shaft,cross member, i used the same center concel. dont know tho going that way.. oh and the speed cable works but you will have to get a dif gear set in it. mine is way off. Id think about keeping the 700r4 but thats my opinion... cheers!!
Old 03-14-2015, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by -=Z28=-
Y get rid of the 700r4? how much hp you have? I destroyed my t-5 and put a 700r4 in and love it. slap stick baby. If i remember correctly the t5 is much smaller. everything fit, dri. shaft,cross member, i used the same center concel. dont know tho going that way.. oh and the speed cable works but you will have to get a dif gear set in it. mine is way off. Id think about keeping the 700r4 but thats my opinion... cheers!!
Engines just a stock LG4; even with the exhaust, no more than 200 hp, so I don't see an issue. Plenty of ppl run T5s with no issues; you just have to treat them right, especially with high hp applications, or they will grenade, even with my motor. I already knew about the cross member and drive shaft, but thanks for filling me in on the speedo cable; one more item allowing me to go this direction. I plan to check the speedo gears before install, but they may be ok depending on the gearing of the car they came out of.

And yes, the 700r4 is a fantastic trans; I work at GM with many of the guys who helped with the changes made to it over the years, and it's the trans in my Jimmy. But I've always wantef a stick, and I figure I might as well convert now. Once it's done, it'll be a lot less hastle if I have to remove the trans in the future.

My biggest question is using the howes hydrolic throwout bearing, if I can use the stock master cylinder. If I can, that's the final decision maker for pulling thos trigger. Also, if anyone else knows of other sources for the conversation kit for comparison, please let me know. I know it's possible to find a donor car, or go to a yard and pull everything, but I don't have time or space for that, so right now my inly option is a kit. Thanks!!
Old 03-16-2015, 09:08 AM

Car: 84 camaro z28 H.O
Engine: 305 H.O
Transmission: world class T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 limited slip

for the kit hawks sells a complete kit its used but has everything or look around on here i found a kit back in November.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:17 AM

Car: 1986 Iroc z28
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700r4

I know this is a little off topic.

I'm ditching the 700r4 as well. I find it rather hard to beleave that a similar equipped camaro with a slush box vs. Manual would run the exact ET.

The old 700 should not beable to fshift quicker than your foot and hand.

I went out of my way to wait for a 1983 1984 camaro with a manual linkage. Imo being able to adjust the cluch throw out is invaluable. I paid under $500 but also pulled everything my self.

Had to buy a new flywheel and clutch and all. So cost is greater but you have to buy that stuff anyhow.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 PM

Thanks guys; I'll prolly be going with the hawks kit if I don't locate a better deal in the next few days.

Is there anyone with experience using the howe hydrolic TOB? I'd like to know if I can use a stock master cylinder with it or not. Because I work for GM powertrain, I think I can get GM parts new through work if I can get away with as many stock parts as a possible. I still plan to try the factory slave, in case by some streak of luck there's not a clearance issue, but I'd like to have any parts on hand that I'll need if I end up needing to use the Howe TOB.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:13 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

Since you have an inside line on OEM stuff, see if the 1998 4th gen V6 T5 front bearing retainer and concentric slave/bearing would work on your new T5. Might not be enough depth. Also, I think the T5 slave mount would be a no-go due to headers.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by jmd
Since you have an inside line on OEM stuff, see if the 1998 4th gen V6 T5 front bearing retainer and concentric slave/bearing would work on your new T5. Might not be enough depth. Also, I think the T5 slave mount would be a no-go due to headers.
Thanks for the tip; I'll try to look at some diagrams at work tomorrow, but I think for simplicity sake, I'll end up going with the Howe TOB (some things are worth spending a little extra on something that fits, to avoid a potential headache trying to make something else work). I did some digging, and found out the Howe unit requires a 3/4" bore in the master, and the stock one has that. It looks like there's a few ppl using the stock master with the Howe TOB, so I'll shoot for that. Worst case scenario, I'll have to spring a little extra coin for an aftermarket master if it doesn't work. I'll probably be ordering the Hawks kit tomorrow; the 700r4 is out, thanks to some help from my downstairs neighbor, and after all that, I don't want to mess with trying to get that heavy thing back up there. The more I've looked into it, the easier future trans drops will be if I can take it out in smaller, lighter pieces, which is very appealing to me.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:15 AM

Ok, just looked up the part numbers; the retainer is discontinued, so it looks like that option wouldn't be easy to try. In case anyone else was curious about that option. If you were able to track down a junk trans from that era, you might be able to get one that way. But I think I'll be going the Howe route.