Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Lowering a trans for 2/4 and governor change

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 08:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Formula WS6, T-top
Engine: 5.7L T.P.I.
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Limited slip, 3.23 10 bolt
Lowering a trans for 2/4 and governor change

Ok, rookie question. I was going to put in a Corvette 2/4 and new governor in my Formula this weekend. Took the mount off and started lowering, but couldn't get it low enough to get the 2/4 pin out. The trans dropped some, but hung up a little on the exhaust bracket near the cats, but one of those bolts was so tight I could not get it out. Assuming I can wrangle that bolt loose later, will that give me enough drop, or would I have to remove the torque arm too? The governor had enough clearance to change I think, but the cover was on so tight I don't think I could get it off without damaging it, and didn't have a relplacement cover on hand. So that was a big bunch of nothing that day.

Last edited by TheExaminer; 07-15-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:20 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Lowering a trans for 2/4 and governor change

Bump. 48 views and no ideas?
Old 07-16-2015, 01:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

Originally Posted by TheExaminer
Bump. 48 views and no ideas?
meant to reply earlier but got distracted , chances are the distributor is hitting the firewall as u lower the back of the trans down , dropping the tq arm will alow it to drop down further , but be carefull if u go to low the distibutor will crash into the firewall
Old 07-16-2015, 06:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Yep. Unhook the torque arm and remove the distributor cap. Might be time for a new cap and rotor anyways.

From that point you can see if anything else is keeping it from moving. Should be plenty of give in those stock rubber mounts.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Ok, thx. I just put in a new cap and rotor, so I don't want to break it. BTW, any tricks to getting the governor cover of without destroying it? (700r4 is what I have) Seems to be on very tight, and there is clear, dried rubber sealant in the seam. They don't use that from the factory do they? Also, the trans has a coat of silver paint that I noticed it cracking off in places, and I didn't think they painted them at the factory either. Could be this was rebuilt at some point, hard to tell. My issue is it seems to shift too soon between 1 and 2. When you take off fast, it jumps forward like it's going to launch, then pauses for a split second, then takes off again. ATV cable is set to bottom out at WOT, so that's not it. It always shifts around 2000 rpm, which is too soon. My other cars shift at 2500-3000 or so. Changing the governor was kind of my last ditch thing to try. I doubt it helps, but I thought it was worth a shot. Could be the weights are too heavy, or someone put a diesel governor in it just to get it on the road. Otherwise the trans seems to work well, though there's a little tiny "bump" in it when you are slowing down and it downshifts from 2 to 1. Could be a sticky valve body, but that's over my head at my present state of knowledge.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:41 PM

Car: 1984 Z28 HO
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700R4

I just had my governor out without doing anything, not bad at all. I used a screwdriver and a hammer to get it off and prybar against tunnel to push cover back on. I've also had my servo out, just lowered rear mount and disassembled the servo to get it out, really tight but it will work, might invent a few new cuss words...
Old 08-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 86ltrain
I just had my governor out without doing anything, not bad at all. I used a screwdriver and a hammer to get it off and prybar against tunnel to push cover back on. I've also had my servo out, just lowered rear mount and disassembled the servo to get it out, really tight but it will work, might invent a few new cuss words...
Did you have to lower it to get the governor out? I know you have to to get the servo out, but since I had it lowered, I gave the gov a shot too. My trouble was the cover was on so tight I didn't want to pound it too hard and damage it. I may try again later. I have a new gasket, but not a new cover. When it came to the servo, I disassembled it as much as I could, but no matter how I did it, there was not enough room to get the pin out. I should add, this was with the trans fully installed a few months back. I didn't try when I had it lowered this time because it didn't lower it very much, and it didn't look like I could do it. Plus, (mainly) it was at the end of a long day and I'd had enough at that point. I can try that again later too. But my OP involved that bracket at the cats, and the torque arm. Was curious about that anyway, so I asked. But I'm thinking I was too timid with the gov cover, I may go at it again soon.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:18 PM

Car: 1984 Z28 HO
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700R4

Originally Posted by TheExaminer
Did you have to lower it to get the governor out? I know you have to to get the servo out, but since I had it lowered, I gave the gov a shot too. My trouble was the cover was on so tight I didn't want to pound it too hard and damage it. I may try again later. I have a new gasket, but not a new cover. When it came to the servo, I disassembled it as much as I could, but no matter how I did it, there was not enough room to get the pin out. I should add, this was with the trans fully installed a few months back. I didn't try when I had it lowered this time because it didn't lower it very much, and it didn't look like I could do it. Plus, (mainly) it was at the end of a long day and I'd had enough at that point. I can try that again later too. But my OP involved that bracket at the cats, and the torque arm. Was curious about that anyway, so I asked. But I'm thinking I was too timid with the gov cover, I may go at it again soon.

The governor comes out without lowering anything. I just jack up the drivers side as high as I can, slip under there with my trusty hammer & screwdriver....mine was recently off so that helps. Just put your screwdriver on the outer lip and tap it a few times. Try and hit it on as many places as you can to try and work it off. Be sure and clean it up real good so reassembly is easier. I didn't remove my torque arm to do the servo, just trans crossmember & dist cap for added insurance.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:58 PM
Supreme Member

Ok, I didn't take the dizzy cap out. That might have been what hung me up. Im glad I didn't damage it, it's brand new! LOL Live and learn..... I'll try again soon..... Thx for the tips all.