Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

200 r4 wont shift??? transgo shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
200 r4 wont shift??? transgo shift kit

Hello I just got done installing the trans-go sk200-4r-b shift kit in my 200r4 and it shifts 1-2 great 2-3 has a slight delay and then 4th gear wont work anymore. If you manually shift it 2-D is still 2nd gear and od turns into 3rd. My converter is unhooked and 4th gear worked before I took this apart last week. I am running 4300rpms and 40mph and I can feel it wont shift into 4th. I switched my servo spring back to stock and it made no difference. I don't feel like I put it together wrong and I followed there instructions. I also adjusted the tv cable with no success.

Does anyone have an idea of whats wrong?
Old 08-07-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: 200 r4 wont shift??? transgo shift kit

I've found that the TV cable adjustment gets wonky with that kit. Try this: do the TV cable adjustment the correct way, fully tensioned. Then loosen it by 2 clicks.

Now see if the shifts are correct. Note that this is also stated in the instructions. Has to do with the TV valve/plunger springs that were installed.

RBob.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the reply I did as you asked, I tried 1 click at a time and nothing happened other then the tranny feeling sluggish after I went too loose.

I had installed the tough, blue, red spring on the valve behind the plunger. Is it possible that I need to remove the blue/red springs and just leave the tough spring?
Old 08-11-2015, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by dhonda200
Thanks for the reply I did as you asked, I tried 1 click at a time and nothing happened other then the tranny feeling sluggish after I went too loose.
Hopefully you didn't go too far and damage the transmission. Loosening the TV cable lowers the line pressure.

I had installed the tough, blue, red spring on the valve behind the plunger. Is it possible that I need to remove the blue/red springs and just leave the tough spring?
I'm still working on this, what I have found is that the tough spring coil binds and doesn't allow the TV valve to go to full TV. This is likely why the 200-4R I'm working on has low line pressure at max TV.

I don't have the original spring that went into the end of the TV valve, so am working with various springs to set this up properly. In your case I would remove the tough spring, keep the red & blue springs, and re-install the original end spring.

You can test this by placing just the TV valve into the valve body (VB). Push it all of the way in and look down into the opening of the VB. Can see the end of the TV valve bottom on the VB casting.

Remove the TV valve and install just the tough spring and do the same. Note how the spring coil binds and the TV valve won't bottom on the casting. This prevents full line pressure.

Remove the tough spring and do it with the red & blue, then again with those and the stock end spring.

Shifting issues: it may be that a check ball was misplaced. Be careful and make sure they are in the correct locations. I stick them into the case with some petroleum jelly to keep them in place.

Placing them on the spacer plate invites them being knocked askew while lifting the VB into position. I was surprised that TransGo recommended that method.

Note that TransGo has an assistance video on their site for the full reprogramming kit. I found it to be helpful as it shows the best way to install the spacer plate and gaskets, the 1-2 accumulator and then the VB:

http://transgo.com/200_4R_HD2Video.html (link subject to change)

RBob.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
I don't have the original spring that went into the end of the TV valve, so am working with various springs to set this up properly. In your case I would remove the tough spring, keep the red & blue springs, and re-install the original end spring.

RBob.
Arg, working on this again tonight and found that even the red & blue light-weight springs coil bind. So can't use those either. Looking into a conical spring that stacks flat, to be used with the end spring.

BobR.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:19 PM

Thansk for the info RBob. I took all the springs out of the valve body and replaced them back with the stock springs today. I also found that the only way the tv spring works is with the stock one none of the transgo ones seem to work good. I also rechecked all my check ***** and tested the car and 4th gear is still missing so whatever the issue is it must have to do with removing the 2 check *****. I will install all 8 tomarrow and see if that fixes the car i mean its the only transgo set up left in the tranny.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:50 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:73

I'm not familiar with the 200r4. but my 700r4 wouldn't shift into 3rd gear. so i went out a bought another 700r4 for 100$ off a kid. pulled my old one out. and the fluid was just black and burnt. swapped it out with the other one, and now it shifts through all the gears. so now i have a boat anchor in my garage. I am still debating on if i should rebuild it or not. because when my 305 motor pops, I will be swapping it out with a 350 and a TH350 trans.

But my guess would be, check you fluid and see if its burnt. like i said, mine was black, like motor oil. and i don't think it helped that my torque converter was shot either.

Last edited by Wylecoyote08; 08-11-2015 at 11:50 PM. Reason: spelling errors