Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Manual swap problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual swap problems

Alright so I originally I had a 2.8l v6 in my camaro with an auto trans and I swapped it out for a 350 tpi out of an 89 GTA and went with a T5 trans. The problem that im have at the moment is that when I put it in gear and fully release the clutch, the whole car start to shake. Ive told that it may be the rear end since its a 9 bolt and the gear ratio is to low or that since the engine was mounted with an auto trans the ecm is looking for the torque converter or that the drive shaft is not aligned. Any opinions on what it ould be would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:03 AM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: Manual swap problems

If you used stock V8 third gen engine mounts and 83-92 T5 crossmember (with normal mount and not a mis-match of the double-stack V6 mount setup.) you should be fine on driveline alignment. Also, vibration right off the line generally isn't going to be driveline anyhow.

Reverse tends to have more potential for vibration on clutch release. Does the car move as you start letting out the clutch? Does it do it less in 1st gear?

You will have drivability & stalling issues with auto PROM in the ECM and manual trans., but that's mostly noticeable when moving and pushing in the clutch.

You can add details of your car here: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/prof...do=editprofile
Old 09-06-2015, 05:57 PM

The engine mounts are stock and the crossmember is an after market one for a T5 trans. It drives in reverse fine its just when in 1st 2nd 3rd and so on that when I fully release the clutch that it begins to vibrate and the vibration continues while the car is moving. Yes the car moves as I release the clutch and the vibration gets really intense everytime Im releasing the clutch. When I push the clutch pedal in the vibration stops.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:50 PM

***Update*** just found out I have 3.42 gears im assuming that should hold fine for a 9 bolt
Old 09-10-2015, 06:52 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

Not sure I'm understanding your concern over the gears and the 9 bolt. 3.42(3.45) is a great gear. xx gear ratio, whatever it may be may not be the best for performance, or for fuel economy, but assuming it's installed properly, it'll work.

It's not the computer looking for the TC. I've heard of some people having issues with holding idle, but I did the swap with no problems. No way the computer could cause that kind of physical vibration. None that I can see anyway.

...and even if you've got some whacked out driveshaft angle, it shouldn't be bad at low, creeping speeds. ...and as you said it's fine in reverse.

Have you physically verified that the transmission can go into the forward gears and spin freely? When I rebuilt mine, I put it in each gear and spun the input shaft and watched the output shaft turn.

I'm inclined to say it's a clutch issue. Seems like it always is. ...but I can't see why reverse would work fine. So you can get the car moving, push the clutch in, and it's fine? That would elimate everything still moving. Wheel balance, flywheel, driveshaft, axles. I think it's gotta be something in the trans or clutch. I'm no expert, just trying to think it through.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:08 PM

If you took the engine from a GTA, I assume it was originally an automatic transmission behind it. Maybe a stupid question, but did you install the correct pilot bearing for the input shaft of the t5 in the back of the crankshaft before installing the flywheel and clutch setup? If not, the input shaft of the transmission will not be held in alignment and will cause an incredible vibration as the clutch is just engaging and/or prior to grenading the trans. Also another problem I ran into once was that the two alignment pins between the engine and the bellhousing had been removed by someone in the process of uninstalling and installing the engine, and when it got to me, it would shake your junk pretty good as the clutch was engaged and even as you tried to drive the car. Just some oddball stuff that I have seen in my experience... Might want to check these two items since other stuff hasn't helped.