Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

92 Firebird Formula - Auto To Manual Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7L V8 L98
Transmission: 700r4
92 Firebird Formula - Auto To Manual Conversion

I don't know if this is the right place to post this question, but its my first time in the forum so please guide a newbie

I tried to refrain from posting in a forum as much as I can but I can't find what I was looking for anywhere! I have a 1992 Firebird Formula v8 5.7L Auto transmission. (Is this bird called Formula 350?)
Now, there's an 86 Firebird being sold around without a steering assembly for $600. It's a V6 Manual. I'm thinking of buying it for $400 if possible, then use that as a donor car for my swap.

Just wondering, is it possible?
Can it happen?
I'm no super mechanic so I would need help
I'm just an enthusiast. haha
Thanks for reading!
Old 09-18-2015, 12:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 5.0
Re: 92 Firebird Formula - Auto To Manual Conversion

First off, welcome. And yes this is the right place for this question.

Here are a few threads to start with to get an idea of what's involved.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tran...y-auto-t5.html

https://www.thirdgen.org/g/album/3236127

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tran...al-thread.html

Here is a write-up of how it's done.

https://www.thirdgen.org/manualswap/

It's pretty straightforward, just unbolt auto and associated parts, then stick manual and all related parts in. You will need to cut a hole for the shifter obviously, and mount the hydraulics for the clutch setup. The flex plate will need to be changed out for a flywheel and clutch installed. There will be a little bit of wiring for reverse lights and neutral safety switch, but it isn't anything complicated. The donor car should have everything you need for this.

Best advice is to look at all the info you have make sure you have everything you need, including someone to help that has a little mechanical experience. This has been done many times so there is lots of info to pull from. Just take your time and be patient.

Good luck, Chris
Old 09-18-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by RS Chris
First off, welcome. And yes this is the right place for this question.

Here are a few threads to start with to get an idea of what's involved.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tran...y-auto-t5.html

https://www.thirdgen.org/g/album/3236127

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tran...al-thread.html

Here is a write-up of how it's done.

https://www.thirdgen.org/manualswap/

It's pretty straightforward, just unbolt auto and associated parts, then stick manual and all related parts in. You will need to cut a hole for the shifter obviously, and mount the hydraulics for the clutch setup. The flex plate will need to be changed out for a flywheel and clutch installed. There will be a little bit of wiring for reverse lights and neutral safety switch, but it isn't anything complicated. The donor car should have everything you need for this.

Best advice is to look at all the info you have make sure you have everything you need, including someone to help that has a little mechanical experience. This has been done many times so there is lots of info to pull from. Just take your time and be patient.

Good luck, Chris

So, the transmission from that 86 v6 firebird will pretty much bolt on to my 92 v8?
I haven't done any swaps before, so in a scale of 1 to 10, how hard would this be?
Thanks for the reply and the welcoming!
Sorry for being such a newbie here.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:19 PM

Car: '86 Trans Amvanian Frankenbird
Engine: 350 4bbl
Transmission: T5 4.03/.76
Axle/Gears: 3.42

No, the transmission will not bolt up as is, but it can be made to. You will need a bellhousing with the V8 pattern, and you really only have two options for it. You can either find an original (they are unique to these cars) or go aftermarket (which will hurt your wallet.) Also of note, the input shaft of the V6 transmission is smaller than the V8 version. This can also be worked around, just make sure the clutch kit you get is the correct size and spline count.

As far as difficulty is concerned, it really depends on how comfortable you are with tinkering. The most difficult part for me was changing the pedal assembly, but that's because humans aren't built to contort like the job requires. You will have to cut two holes (one in the firewall, the other in the tunnel) but after that, it really is just a matter of unbolting/exchanging/bolting in. Just take your time, be safety conscious, and remember we're here to help. I have some pictures in my gallery if you'd like to see some of what you're getting in to.

Last edited by danryanm; 09-18-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by danryanm
No, the transmission will not bolt up as is, but it can be made to. You will need a bellhousing with the V8 pattern, and you really only have two options for it. You can either find an original (they are unique to these cars) or go aftermarket (which will hurt your wallet.) Also of note, the input shaft of the V6 transmission is smaller than the V8 version. This can also be worked around, just make sure the clutch kit you get is the correct size and spline count.

As far as difficulty is concerned, it really depends on how comfortable you are with tinkering. The most difficult part for me was changing the pedal assembly, but that's because humans aren't built to contort like the job requires. You will have to cut two holes (one in the firewall, the other in the tunnel) but after that, it really is just a matter of unbolting/exchanging/bolting in. Just take your time, be safety conscious, and remember we're here to help. I have some pictures in my gallery if you'd like to see some of what you're getting in to.
Good points that I overlooked.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 746 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

For a 350 i'd recommend that a LT1 6speed be used.
I also hope anything you do to it can be undone and you save all the stock parts... Just in case...
Old 09-18-2015, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the reply guys
It seems like the person selling the donor firebird went out of town for a while. Can't start on the project.
My brother told me to have the feel of each gear on high gears since I'll be converting it to manual anyways.
He drove it aggressively and basically acted like it was manual.
Stepping on the gas in L, rpm raise close to redline, shift to 2, keeps going till he gets to overdrive/4th gear.
Is that safe?
Old 09-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Supreme Member

You mean letting someone else beat on your car? Not really. I would be careful revving it too high, could possibly hurt something depending on condition of the motor and mileage.

TTOP350 has the right idea with a t56 swap. The t5 from the v6 car won't last long if you start adding more power.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by RS Chris
You mean letting someone else beat on your car? Not really. I would be careful revving it too high, could possibly hurt something depending on condition of the motor and mileage.

TTOP350 has the right idea with a t56 swap. The t5 from the v6 car won't last long if you start adding more power.
I just got the car recently and the odometer is stuck at ~144k So I don't know if it's real beat up.
But is it safe to switch gears that way?
1, 2, D/3, OD/4?

Also, I find that t56 isn't fit for my budget atm, unless I could buy a used car as a donor. What cars use it?

Is the t5 (I assume that's what the 86 v6 firebird would have) gonna hold if I just keep my engine power stock like it is right now?
Old 09-18-2015, 11:09 PM
Supreme Member

Manual shifting won't really hurt anything.

The T56 came in fourth gen Camaros and T/As. So there are plenty of them out there. In the long run in may come out cheaper, but it's your money do what's best for you.

The T5 can live just fine behind a stock motor as long as you don't get crazy with it. No power shifting or hard launches and it will be fine. You might also consider a new shifter with adjustable stops. This will help with over shifting the trans, it's suited more for track use but wouldn't hurt to have.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 746 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

And post up some pix
Old 09-19-2015, 09:54 AM

The V6 version will hold up just fine if you don't beat on it. The T5's arch nemesis is traction. Hard launches (even with a stock engine) can cause the aluminum case to stretch, which opens up dangerous clearances in the gears. Even the mighty T56 is a crap-shoot if you don't know how it was treated by the previous owner(s). I decided against the T56 as they are $2-3K in my area, most needing a rebuild, and not including all the other things I needed for the conversion. Even with a $400 bellhousing (my block necessitated it, yours won't) I installed my T5 for ~$1,000, with all new hydraulics, flywheel and clutch.

There are benefits to using that donor car that will help with your budget. A) you will have pedals, hydraulics, transmission and console plate already. B) If you use the rear axle from the donor car your speedometer will display accurately, AND C) many automatics came with 2.73 gears, most V6 cars had 3.42s, so you'll experience a HUGE increase in acceleration (as well as take alot of strain off the transmission). D) You'll still have a rolling chassis that can be sold afterwards. E) You won't have to change or modify the driveshaft or crossmember. F) All you will have to buy is a flywheel, clutch and bellhousing.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:42 PM

There are benefits to using that donor car that will help with your budget. A) you will have pedals, hydraulics, transmission and console plate already. B) If you use the rear axle from the donor car your speedometer will display accurately, AND C) many automatics came with 2.73 gears, most V6 cars had 3.42s, so you'll experience a HUGE increase in acceleration (as well as take alot of strain off the transmission). D) You'll still have a rolling chassis that can be sold afterwards. E) You won't have to change or modify the driveshaft or crossmember. F) All you will have to buy is a flywheel, clutch and bellhousing.
I'm still a little confused about the bellhousing. Not really familiar with them. Will any V8 bellhousing work?
or does it have to be specific to make it work with a v8 engine, since my donor car would have a v6 bellhousing?
Old 09-24-2015, 09:01 PM

The engine side of the bell housings are different, but the transmission side is the same. The V6 bolt pattern is trapezoidal, while the V8 pattern resembles home plate. Either will fit the transmission, but only one will fit the engine. The V8 unit for these cars is different from other V8 bells as it cants the transmission about 18 degrees towards the driver side. There are only two ways to attach the T5 to your V8: an aftermarket unit or a factory piece from another thirdgen, but either MUST have the canted pattern. (I have an original for sale, by the way.) Here is a photo of an aftermarket bell which clearly displays both the standard AND canted transmission bolt patterns:

This bell housing completely filled the transmission tunnel.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:57 AM

(I have an original for sale, by the way.) Here is a photo of an aftermarket bell which clearly displays both the standard AND canted transmission bolt patterns:

This bell housing completely filled the transmission tunnel.
How much is that for sale?

So nothing else is needed to be bought but all that you provided? (Flywheel, clutch, and bellhousing)
No need for new crossmember, exhaust or anything?

I left my '07 G6 to someone else because I fell in love with this firebird. It sucks to last a day without it being driven.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:29 PM

The bell housing in the picture cost me $400 (they usually go for alot more than that!) The OE one I have I paid $150 plus shipping. I'd take $130 for it and eat the shipping. The auto and manual crossmembers are the same, so just pick whichever one looks better. The only exhaust related item you'll need is the intermediate hanger, which will already be on the T5. You may have to change starters, but that will depend on if yours has a small cone or a large one (you will need the small one to fit in the pocket of the bell housing.) Occasionally, the torque arm bushing may be reversed from the torque arm you already have. Again, if this is the case, the donor car will already have the correct torque arm to match the bushing on the T5 (literally only two bolts to swap them.)
Old 10-03-2015, 12:37 AM

The bell housing in the picture cost me $400 (they usually go for alot more than that!) The OE one I have I paid $150 plus shipping. I'd take $130 for it and eat the shipping. The auto and manual crossmembers are the same, so just pick whichever one looks better. The only exhaust related item you'll need is the intermediate hanger, which will already be on the T5. You may have to change starters, but that will depend on if yours has a small cone or a large one (you will need the small one to fit in the pocket of the bell housing.) Occasionally, the torque arm bushing may be reversed from the torque arm you already have. Again, if this is the case, the donor car will already have the correct torque arm to match the bushing on the T5 (literally only two bolts to swap them.)
sorry if my questions are choppy, I still haven't started on the project.

If I happen to just buy the t5 transmission and clutch without any donor car, what else would I need to finish?
Old 10-03-2015, 09:46 AM

If you get the T5 and nothing else, at the very least you will need:
V8-to-T5 bell housing (must come from a thirdgen)
flywheel
clutch kit (usually comes with throwout bearing)
pedals
hydraulics (master, slave and line)
clutch fork
transmission mount
speed sensor
connectors for the speed sensor and back-up light switch
exhaust hanger bracket
torque arm mount and bushing

If you want the center console to look good you'll need the top plate for it.

If you want your speedometer to display accurately you will need to either change the gears on the speed sensor or change the rear axle.

A donor car makes alot more sense as it will come with everything you need, already set up so you can see where everything goes, and you'll still have a rolling chassis that can be sold.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1990 & 1991 Firebird Formula 350's
Engine: 350 ci
Transmission: T 5 & 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:23 & 3:27

Hello. I'm planning to do the T5 swap myself. I think I have everything but I need an answer to one question: My auto trans has a bracket that holds up the exhaust pipe. Does the T5 have a similar bracket or will the auto bracket work?