Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700r4 slipping when warm

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 firebird
Engine: lg4
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
700r4 slipping when warm

Out of no where in the middle of a 60 mile trip i lost OD and it stayed in third for a couple miles then lost 2nd then 1st the weird thing is if I turn off the car for 30 seconds the trans works fine again for another 3 or 4 miles then start slipping until I turn it off again. When I first start it up it works perfect every single time I can do burnouts chirp the 2nd shift and it works 100% normal.

Is the trans toast? I did just mess with the tv cable could it be streached or something?
Old 05-09-2016, 05:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: 700r4 slipping when warm

Originally Posted by shugart111
Out of no where in the middle of a 60 mile trip i lost OD and it stayed in third for a couple miles then lost 2nd then 1st the weird thing is if I turn off the car for 30 seconds the trans works fine again for another 3 or 4 miles then start slipping until I turn it off again. When I first start it up it works perfect every single time I can do burnouts chirp the 2nd shift and it works 100% normal.

Is the trans toast? I did just mess with the tv cable could it be streached or something?
As far as "messed with the TV cable" goes , there is no "messing" with it allowed ! There is a proper procedure to set it , you do that procedure , and then you leave it alone to do it's thing . Any attempt at "adjustment" will result in failure , it has one proper set position only .

Now , there is nothing I know of that could cause what your experiencing except for this one thought . If it was really low on fluid , it could run on the fluid it can pick up from the pan at each start till enough is in the system that there isn't enough in the pan anymore to feed the pump . Conversely , if there is too much fluid , it could be getting churned up into a foam that the system can't work with . IS your fluid nice and red and do you have it at the proper level ?

The "out of no where on a trip" part makes it sound to me like something broke , sorry to say .....
Old 05-09-2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
As far as "messed with the TV cable" goes , there is no "messing" with it allowed ! There is a proper procedure to set it , you do that procedure , and then you leave it alone to do it's thing . Any attempt at "adjustment" will result in failure , it has one proper set position only .

Now , there is nothing I know of that could cause what your experiencing except for this one thought . If it was really low on fluid , it could run on the fluid it can pick up from the pan at each start till enough is in the system that there isn't enough in the pan anymore to feed the pump . Conversely , if there is too much fluid , it could be getting churned up into a foam that the system can't work with . IS your fluid nice and red and do you have it at the proper level ?

The "out of no where on a trip" part makes it sound to me like something broke , sorry to say .....
Sorry I was on mobile when typing that yesterday. What I should have said was my throttle return spring fell off half way through a trip and so I tried to put the spring inbetween the bolt for the tv cable relocation bracket and I forgot to tighten it down so it allowed the tv cable bracket to have some movement which is when all the problems started. Fluid level is full but it is old and starting to turn a little brown but it doesn't smell burnt or look that bad at all
Old 05-11-2016, 07:39 PM

unless anyone else has any suggestions im just going to change the filter and fluid this weekend. ill report back if it changes anything.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:14 AM

Just incase anyone else has this same problem. when I dropped the pan the old filter was just sitting in the bottom of the pan so I assume that was the problem because it's 100% fixed now