Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700r4 light/part throttle shift points..

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 12:16 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
700r4 light/part throttle shift points..

...Are they adjustable? I really wish the trans would hold the gear a little longer. From what I understand the tv cable is either set up correctly or incorrectly so there's no play there. Do i need to change governor weights?
Old 07-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: 700r4 light/part throttle shift points..

Yup, you make that sort of change, overall, with weights & springs; a bit like an old pre-computer distributor. You can also do various things to the valve body to adjust individual shift points and other characteristics.

Alternatively you could just buy a whole new one. They're not all that $$$. https://transmissioncenter.net/?swoo..._tag=governors for example.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:07 PM

I see a kit there for $56. Any good articles on setting this up? Is it possible to change part throttle shift points without changing full throttle shift points? I'm guess no...?
Old 07-04-2016, 08:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

No, not with the governor; think of that, as merely the transmission's way of measuring car speed. All you really get that way is, earlier shifts, or later.

If you want finer control of things you'll have to dive into the valve body. In fact you may find that one of the "correction" kits such as this one http://www.tvmadeez.com/spring_install/700r4.php is all you need: one of the things that happens to that transmission over time is, the spring that makes the throttle valve work right, loses its sproing and makes the transmission kind of "numb" to throttle position. A boost valve such as www.summitracing.com/parts/sox-700r4-lb1 is another thing that can make a YUUUUUJJJE improvement sometimes. Think of what the governor does, as balancing between the effect of spinning faster, vs line pressure: if the line pressure doesn't rise as the throttle is pressed farther, then shifts happen at the same car speed no matter the throttle position. But if line pressure changes ALOT as the throttle is opened, then shifting is prevented until the speed becomes much higher. Much of the art of tuning a transmission is in getting the right amount of line pressure response to external conditions (throttle position in the 700, vacuum in the T-350 or 400, etc.).

Last edited by sofakingdom; 07-04-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:46 AM

I apologize for the late reply here, and I should have mentioned this before. My trans is a fresh rebuild with performance valve body, corvette servo and boost valve.

My trans shifts at around 22-2300 rpm and I'm in od way too early for my liking.

I've seen threads about the sonnax as1-01k tv cable corrector making a big difference, but I'm not really sure how it's doing what everyone claims.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Make sure the TV cable is just tight at WOT. Have someone sit in the vehicle and slowly press down the throttle till floored and adjust the TV cable till tight at WOT. If you want slightly later shifts, then remove the weaker of the two springs in the governor. If you still want slightly later shifts at part throttle in all gears, pickup the Sonnax TV Cable Corrector Kit AS1-01K. This will make all the shifts later and keep the TV cable from coming out of adjustment at WOT.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 camaro HO Gun metal Gray
Engine: 305,L69 H.O. rebuilt
Transmission: 700R4

I am not sure if this my trouble but I will throw it out there and ask. my 84Z 700r4 is shifting into all the gears to over drive by 20 mph. its seems to shift down to drive and OD to much. I am not a trans guy never been inside one. The trans shifts with good firm changes so I am thinking its something else. I did the motor rebuild 10 years ago but its been parked for that long... buts thats a story of leaking headers and fire, which we dont want to talk about.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 firebird se
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373

84 Restore, I purchased the Sonnax cable corrector AS1-01k. It tool the slack out of the cable at idle - pretty neat little fitting. I have not been able to drive it on the road as it is in the paint shop. If you are interested, I am thinking there were 5 in the package. With overnight shipping I have $46 in them you only need 1 set of springs and cable attachment device. Take a look at them, if you are interested pm me and we will work something out. Byron
Old 07-28-2016, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 camaro HO Gun metal Gray
Engine: 305,L69 H.O. rebuilt
Transmission: 700R4

I checked out a video on here that showed me how to adjust the TV cable. i adjusted it today and the shift points have all changed. its better than it was but I think I have to tweek it alittle. I did notice a major slip between drive and OD when I went WOT. I am hoping it just an adjustment but I dont know I didnt like what it did. Anybody want to give me the bad news or is there hope.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics
Make sure the TV cable is just tight at WOT. Have someone sit in the vehicle and slowly press down the throttle till floored and adjust the TV cable till tight at WOT. If you want slightly later shifts, then remove the weaker of the two springs in the governor. If you still want slightly later shifts at part throttle in all gears, pickup the Sonnax TV Cable Corrector Kit AS1-01K. This will make all the shifts later and keep the TV cable from coming out of adjustment at WOT.
I just got around to removing the lighter spring from the governor, the trans shifts later but very slightly. Should I just go ahead and buy an aftermarket weight/spring kit?

My biggest problem is the trans is in OD way too soon, causing the engine to lug. I also like the trans to shift 1-2, 2-3 later as well anyway though. Will the weight/spring kit get me where I want to be?

Also, tv is set correctly.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:20 PM

Got my wife to sit in the car and put the pedal to the floor just to double check the tv cable. Turns out the tv/accelerated cable bracket is bending when the accelerator is pressed. Problem found, just to find another bracket or reinforce this one.

Edit: the rear bracket bolt is missing, causing it to bend forward. It's always the simple ****.

Last edited by Billgluckman; 11-06-2016 at 03:38 PM.