Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Fully Built 700R4 locked wheels while driving.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 383 SBC/HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Fully Built 700R4 locked wheels while driving.....

I had a local guy rebuild my transmission with all the best parts, no expense was spared. I watched him build it and confirmed all the parts. It also has a TCI full manual, reverse valve body installed. No TV cable is needed on a full-manual valve body.

I take it for a test drive and it hits every gear perfectly, until I shift into 4th. When I hit 4th, the wheels completely locked up....sending me fish tailing at 65mph. Fortunately I was able to keep it on the road. After cruising home wide-eyed.....I unlocked the converter then shifted to 4th to see if it was TCC problem, but it's not. It still did the same thing with the converter unlocked.

What would cause a problem like this? Is it a defective valve body? Are one of the transmission clutches not releasing properly?

Anyone ever dealt with this?

Last edited by heat seeker; 09-14-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56
Re: Fully Built 700R4 locked wheels while driving.....

call TCI and ask them.. first place to start..
I'm sure its something that one of the guys might know..
Old 09-14-2016, 08:54 PM

Honestly, I don't trust TCI's input. For example: They told me that the governor is not needed with a manual valve body....they were wrong. Without it I had a low pressure issue in all the drive gears. I burned up the clutches in the transmission on my first test drive, due to the open fluid circuit. Thankfully, my trans builder did a rebuild for free. I just don't have confidence in their trouble shooting assistance.

After thinking about it, I don't think it's the valve body. I ran this valve body before the rebuild (that I mentioned above), and it engaged fine. It just shifted sluggishly and overheated due to the slipping clutches. It didn't lock anything up.

I wonder if I got the check ball in the aux valve body in the wrong whole.....there's two right next to each other. That's the only check ball used in this setup, all the others are removed.

What would happen if I did get this check ball incorrect? Any thoughts?

Last edited by heat seeker; 09-14-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:27 AM

Well I called to Jim at TCI this morning to get some input, and he confirmed what I thought. The only way you can lock the wheels, is if the reverse clutch is applied at the same time that a forward clutch is. I believe that's what's happening.......due to improper check ball location in the aux valve body. The reverse fluid path runs thru the aux valve body, and more than likely causing it to apply at the wrong time.

I removed the aux valve body last night. However, I wasn't able to see if the check ball was in the wrong spot, because it fell over, and the check ball rolled out before I was able to take a look. Frustrating.

Also, he also confirmed that I do need the governor on the manual setup. Most shops probably plug the governor fluid holes in the case, allowing you to just delete it all together.

I'll re-install it and post my results......

Last edited by heat seeker; 09-15-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:50 PM

Update: I re-nstalled the aux vale body, and it still locks the wheels in 4th.

It has to be in the tranny build and not the valve body. This valve body worked before the guy rebuilt it.

What could cause this? Any thoughts?
Old 09-16-2016, 09:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 383-Holley Terminator EFI
Transmission: 700R4 Pro-Built Street/Strip kit
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.55:1

Originally Posted by heat seeker
Update: I re-nstalled the aux vale body, and it still locks the wheels in 4th.

It has to be in the tranny build and not the valve body. This valve body worked before the guy rebuilt it.

What could cause this? Any thoughts?
I experienced something similar to that, but my car was up on Jack stands so I didn't get the excitement that you did. Your forward sprag is in backwards. Flip it around and, depending on how much you drove it, it should be ok. If you look at a clutch apply chart, you'll see that, in OD you use the forward sprag clutches, but those are not applied in 4. If the sprag is in backwards it will lock up your wheels every time it goes to 4th. Simple mistake and super easy to make, even for the pros.

Last edited by Lurbie; 09-17-2016 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Added more detail.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

I know you're feeling with TCI Completely.. I am having my transmission done.(soon). The hard part's alone came to over $3,000(sonnax/TCI/others) this included a Tci full manual reverse pattern 700R4 valve body with transbrake.. While collecting the parts for this build around this valve body. I'm wanted all hard billet parts.. The only part I could not score was the output shaft for the 700R4. They do make a hardened output shaft for the 4l60 and it does not have the gears cut on it for the governor.. One of the individuals at TCI told me I did not need the government. Therefore I could use the 4l60 output shaft.. I do not like leaving anything up to chance.. I double-checked with other individuals at TCI in their research and development.. And was told in fact I had to use the governor because of the lubricating control that it provided at the back half of the trany. and therefore had to use the 700R4 output shaft..
I always double check when substituting parts.. I was sent the brand new Trans brake valve body back in May and it was missing. A couple parts.. It took 3 weeks to have the parts sent to me.. there was some other parts from the same order.(all in stock at time of order). It took almost 2 months to get everything straightened out.. They did send me a box full of swag t-shirts hats shifter plates switches.. For free.. But the initial month and a half to two months it took after the goof-up to be fixed it was a little unsettling.. At one point they had $600+ of my money for over 6 weeks before I had a refund.. This was before the trans brake was even ordered....LOL
don't get me wrong I like TCI.. just always dubble check.. even with the guys who make the parts...

TCI makes some cool stuff.. I wish I could get this valve body with a forward pattern..as the forward patrn.. on the outlaw shifter for the 700R4 is way way cooler the the rev patrn...(sorta boring)
Name:  20160818_172645.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  330.0 KB

Last edited by articwhiteZ; 09-17-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula 350 WS6
Engine: 5.7L 350 V8
Axle/Gears: Stock

Prom chip guy here. this site is weird. it wont let me post on that forum. maybe it was because i put my email there? idk. and i dont any option to send a pm. i just want to buy this darn chip. my bird has been dead in the water for years. i had sent you an email through the option it gives when i click on your user name.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS (730,$8D,G3,AP,4K,S_V4)
Engine: 406 Hyd Roller 236/242
Transmission: 700R4 HomeBrew, 2.4K stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi, 7.5 Soon to break

Originally Posted by Lurbie
I experienced something similar to that, but my car was up on Jack stands so I didn't get the excitement that you did. Your forward sprag is in backwards. Flip it around and, depending on how much you drove it, it should be ok. If you look at a clutch apply chart, you'll see that, in OD you use the forward sprag clutches, but those are not applied in 4. If the sprag is in backwards it will lock up your wheels every time it goes to 4th. Simple mistake and super easy to make, even for the pros.
Just wanted to say thanks for this post. Just did a full rebuild on my 700R4, and guess what I did!
the overrun hub was destroyed previously but ran for two years without engine braking. Figured it was time to fix it.
All works great now until I hit 4th gear then immense dragging down of speed but luckily I was still babying it and down shifted before any damage could be done.
At least this confirmed my stupid mistake.
Back to yanking it out.
The following users liked this post:
Lurbie (08-04-2021)