Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Bad throwout bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
Engine: 360ci sbc
Transmission: T-5 non-WC
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Bad throwout bearing replacement

Hey guys, I have a 1985 Trans Am WS6 with an LG4 and a T5. After flushing my rear end and welding up a new exhaust, I've got another problem. When I put my clutch in, it whines like a power steering pump that's low on fluid. I topped off the clutch slave cylinder reservoir and it didn't help. I don't know the mileage on the clutch and I was looking at a complete clutch replacement that comes with hopefully the bearings necessary. I believe this noise to be the throwout bearing, and my friend's dad said it definitely is. A new better than OEM clutch from oreilly's is about 100 dollars, and a better than OEM clutch from summit is about 107 dollars. If I buy the parts myself and find a shop to replace it, what kind of money are we talking? I'm just a kid and my parents can't really help me out unfortunately so I was wondering what kinda dollars I was looking at for labor. There are other clutch kits for 160-180, and depending on what I'm looking at for labor I might as well put something good in there. Thank you very much. From what I have read I can drive with the noisy throwout bearing so long as it doesn't get hard to shift or get out of gear. Although I love my barn find I hate how I fix something and have to replace something else. Oh well, I just love beating my friend's 78 type lt with a 383
Old 09-27-2016, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi
Re: Bad throwout bearing replacement

Most kits come with a new bearing although many are junk. Personally I like hays bearings made by holley for about $60.

Depends on what they find but pulling the trans and reinstalling is fairly easy maybe 4-6 hours of shop time + parts. They will most likely want to resurface the flywheel if it is not too far gone.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
Engine: 360ci sbc
Transmission: T-5 non-WC
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Bad throwout bearing replacement

The same older guy that showed me how to weld up my exhaust said that for $400 in labor he would replace the clutch, all the bearings, and the u joints and I believe the rear diff seal that is leaking. He will charge me $25 an hour up to $400. I know he is giving me a really good deal and the thing I love about having him work with me on my car is that he shows me and teaches me how to fix these things and teaches me the right tools to use and how to use them. I can't wait to see what else he teaches me, he's one of those old hotrodders that know a lot of old tricks and is willing to pass them on to a young dog.