Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

1982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual

OK first off I have read numerous threads about guys doing this and how they located their clutch master cylinder on the firewall, that is where I am at now, so most use the firewall reinforcement brackets from the clutch/brake assemble to do this, unfortunately my pedals came from a 1982 with mechanical clutch linkage and do not have these brackets, tried to get a set and cannot buy them without buying another set of pedals for around $100.00 to $150.00 so I am looking for another solution. I have asked a few question on other threads and someone always brings up the hijack thing and tells me to start my own, so here I am.

I intend to make a firewall reinforcement plate (as seen here: http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-c...1967-1969.html) that bolts under the brake/clutch pedal assembly (not sure if inside cab or inside engine compartment will work best, will test both I suspect) and runs down to the clutch master cylinder similar to the ones available for the 1st and 2nd gen Camaro that do a T5 or T56 swap, so finding the position of the clutch master cylinder opening in relation to the brake assemble bolt and push-rod hole locations is my goal. I intend to template this then fab up the plate (most likely 10 or 12g max sheet-metal as that is as thick as I can manage with my homemade metal brake).

Now here is something I found when I was cleaning up the engine bay area to take some measurements, I have the 1982 Z28 auto with cruise from the factory and I noticed the cruise vacuum cut off line and electrical comes through a hole that is surprisingly close if not exactly where the clutch master cylinder should go, and you can see from the pic I provided there is a plugged hole approx 3 or 4 inches just below it where the cruise line and electrical lines should be according to pics I have seen of other 3rd gens with manual. Also once the dirt and grim was cleaned off there is evidence of dimples in the firewall where it looks like the clutch master u-bolt should go. If someone has one of these u-bolts out of their car could they please measure the distance center to center of the threaded portion so I can measure the distance between the dimples and verify they are the same.

1982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual-004.jpg

Pic of Camaro Clutch Master Cylinder Firewall Bracket, 1967-1969

1982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual-33-247758-1.jpg
Old 10-15-2016, 04:12 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: 1982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual

Determine master cylinder location.
Fab a bracket.
Remove the booster.
Hope the bracket matches the firewall.
modify firewall a bit anyway.
Modify pedal to fit the master cylinder pushrod.

Or
Buy pedals known to fit and work. Seller may include the u-bolt.
Drill two holes.
Bolt the rest of the stuff in.
Sell your pedals.

Which do you think costs less time by far?

BTW, those two support rods may not seem like much. But they add triangulation, preventing firewall flex. Your copy-an-aftermarket-part plan would help to an extent also. But you're trying a bit too hard to spend more money and time re-inventing something that's not broken. There's a reason the non-f-body guys copy the hydraulic f-bodies, including myself. It works.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by jmd
Determine master cylinder location.
Fab a bracket.
Remove the booster.
Hope the bracket matches the firewall.
modify firewall a bit anyway.
Modify pedal to fit the master cylinder pushrod.

Or
Buy pedals known to fit and work. Seller may include the u-bolt.
Drill two holes.
Bolt the rest of the stuff in.
Sell your pedals.

Which do you think costs less time by far?

BTW, those two support rods may not seem like much. But they add triangulation, preventing firewall flex. Your copy-an-aftermarket-part plan would help to an extent also. But you're trying a bit too hard to spend more money and time re-inventing something that's not broken. There's a reason the non-f-body guys copy the hydraulic f-bodies, including myself. It works.

Ha Ha Ha that's funny, just want to let you know that when I make stuff it fits or I don't use it, no mods to existing metal is my goal and I am not too bad so far, also some of us are a littler shorter on money than time and in this case my pedals are same as 84 and newer but without those 2 little brackets, they are very usable with some extra work, why spend any money until I have to right, anyway all I asked for was a measurement across the bolt, I have looked and found replacement u-bolts for sale on the internet but haven't found an ad with that dimension. Forgot to mention that I agree about the rods, once I get my plate done and everything in the right place, those rods should be easy to make, definitely want to disperse the stress on the firewall in that area.

Last edited by jfl1960; 10-15-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:48 PM

OK so a bit more reading and I have found that that hole in my picture is for the mechanical clutch linkage that came on the 82 and early 83 model Camaro and my cruise lines go through the plugged hole just below that, apparently the mechanical linkage hole is very close to the OEM hole for the hydraulic clutch master cylinder, see post #3 from this thread: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...crossfire.html I was lucky enough to find a factory 1989 3rd gen with manual 5 speed locally that the owner will give me access to so I am going to measure and template the firewall some time this week and that should put me right where I need to be for my clutch master cylinder holes and opening, then it just a matter of fabing up the reinforcement plate and some support rods. Will post my progress for anyone reading this in the future.

Last edited by jfl1960; 10-25-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:57 PM

Received my hydraulic clutch master, u-bolt, hydraulic line, slave cylinder and dust shield today. Checked the u-bolt against the existing dimples in the firewall at the mechanical clutch access hole and to my surprise they match perfectly, so maybe this won't be so hard after all, but I am going to verify they are in the right locations before I drill anything, my template should identify the correct location, would be cool it those dimples are already in the proper spots then others can use them as a reference point when swapping a T5 into a 1982.

Anyway I started my firewall reinforcement plate here's my progress so far for anyone interested.:

1982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual-001.jpg1982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual-002.jpg1982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual-007.jpg1982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual-008.jpgClick image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	3075831982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual-009.jpg1982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual-011.jpg1982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual-012.jpg1982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual-013.jpg1982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual-014.jpg1982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual-017.jpg

Still a little adjusting to do before I transfer holes from the brake booster to the template, then I will overlay the template on my buddies 89 Camaro that had factory 5 speed (it's a parts car and is stripped to firewall on engine bay and cabin), once I have the holes for the master on the template then easy to transfer to my firewall, then clean the firewall to bright shiny metal and use 3M panel-bond or similar product to fasten the reinforcement plate to my engine bay side of the firewall, no welding required. Will be adding the support braces too for added strength. Not a bad fit and no firewall mods whatsoever other than the master cylinder hole.
Attached Thumbnails 1982 Z28 auto conversion to T5 Manual-010.jpg  

Last edited by jfl1960; 10-25-2016 at 08:07 PM.