Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

I think my 700r4 died...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89' Caprice Classic
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: TH350
I think my 700r4 died...

Alright, So I dropped a 350 in this 83' Berlinetta with a junkyard 700r4. Fluid looked alright when i pulled it from the yard and i figured if it didn't work after installation, id pull it back out and either attempt a rebuild or replace it with something else. So i get everything in the car, got it running (really awesome i might add) even had it spinning cookies in the parkinglot. Transmission seemed to work great. Its supposed to have a lockup converter but i haven't wired anything up yet. So today, i installed the power steering pump and got that all working and figured id go for a romp in the parkinglot again. Car fired up, started backing out of the garage, realized i was too close on one side so i went to put it in drive and pull forward when i noticed this strange noise coming from the shifter. I put it in drive and the car just sat there. Nothing. Nothing in reverse or any other gear for that matter. So i check the fluid, looked a bit low so i shut it down and dumped a quart in there for good measure. Fired it back up, transmission worked good enough to get the car out in the middle of the lot but once again when i went to drive, it just sat there. Shut it off and let it sit for a minute or so. Fired it back up and stuck it in drive. went around the parkinglot and gradually lost forward power as i went. Quickly got it back to the garage with it slipping like hell. pulled inside and shut it down. So the symptoms are this strange noise (click on youtube link to hear it), wont go anymore after running for any amount of time, shut it off for a bit and it will go for a minute before dropping out again. plenty of fluid in the transmission.. not sure whats going on. I think my 89' caprice either had a 4l60e or a 700r4 in it and it worked fine without the torque converter plugged in.

any help would be awesome thanks guys,
KT
Old 01-02-2017, 03:41 PM

Re: I think my 700r4 died...

Old 01-02-2017, 03:48 PM

Also, it makes this noise in reverse and i think in drive too.. Not just park or neutral.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:11 PM

Alright so after some more completely uneducated diagnostics, I found that It will start to make that noise in gear, but once you take it out of gear (neutral or park) and then put it back into gear, the noise goes away in gear but comes back when out of gear.