Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700R4 pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Z/28
Engine: L98 Carbed
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Posi 3.45
700R4 pump

I'm putting a transgo correction kit in my 1985 Z28 and I'm having some problems with the pump. I got alll the modifications done to the pump, but when I went to reinstall it, it would not line up. I finally got all that squared away without forcing anything. Not it slid in effortlessly and I used the bolts to seat it the final 1/4". My question is this, am I suppose to be able to turn the pump shaft by hand? I hope I didn't bind anything up because it feels like it won't budge?
Old 01-17-2017, 05:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: 700R4 pump

Might be tough to turn by hand, but should be pretty easy if you put a torque converter on it.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:47 PM

Hopefully I was freaking out about nothing. It turned just fine with the Converter on. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2017, 04:02 AM
Supreme Member

Axle/Gears: '01 3.42 10 bolt

torque converter won't turn the input shaft when turning by hand. it requires fluid pressure. only way it would do it if turning by hand is if the torque converter was locked up all the time.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Torque converter WILL turn the pump however. That's step 1 in transmission operation.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by maitlandtron
My question is this, am I suppose to be able to turn the pump shaft by hand?

Ok Friends , I think a bit of clarification may be needed here .....

First off , there is no "Pump shaft" . The two splined shafts sticking out of the pump area have nothing to do with driving the pump whatsoever . The outer one is supposed to be fixed solidly and unturnable as that is what holds an internal feature of the torque converter stationary . The inner one is supposed to turn as that is the actual "input shaft" that turns the transmission's internals . So , how does the pump get driven if it's not from one of those two splined shafts ?

A look at these pictures will explain it perfectly . If you look at the area of the torque converter that goes into the pump you'll see two notches . Those two notches engage the pump and turn the pump rotor with the two tabs seen in the pump internal picture (It is those two tabs that get broken when someone tries to bolt the transmission to the engine without first having properly indexed the torque converter so that it seats all the way into the pump to properly engage the tabs) .

So , since there is no way to attempt to turn those two little tabs without using the torque converter in it's proper position , I'm left to figure you were trying to turn one of the two prominent splined shafts when you said you couldn't turn the "pump shaft" . Now that we've got that straight , the bigger outer spline had best not turn since it's bolted solidly to the pump body and the inner spline (the actual input shaft) had best be able to turn else something is bound up in the transmission's inner workings .

I hope this made the operation of the pump clear ......
Attached Thumbnails 700R4 pump-700r4-92.jpg   700R4 pump-700r4-89.jpg   700R4 pump-700r4-85.jpg   700R4 pump-700r4-81.jpg  
Old 01-18-2017, 10:08 AM

Great explanation. It makes so much sense now why you need to turn the converter a bit to get it to seat.

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
Ok Friends , I think a bit of clarification may be needed here .....

First off , there is no "Pump shaft" . The two splined shafts sticking out of the pump area have nothing to do with driving the pump whatsoever . The outer one is supposed to be fixed solidly and unturnable as that is what holds an internal feature of the torque converter stationary . The inner one is supposed to turn as that is the actual "input shaft" that turns the transmission's internals . So , how does the pump get driven if it's not from one of those two splined shafts ?

A look at these pictures will explain it perfectly . If you look at the area of the torque converter that goes into the pump you'll see two notches . Those two notches engage the pump and turn the pump rotor with the two tabs seen in the pump internal picture (It is those two tabs that get broken when someone tries to bolt the transmission to the engine without first having properly indexed the torque converter so that it seats all the way into the pump to properly engage the tabs) .

So , since there is no way to attempt to turn those two little tabs without using the torque converter in it's proper position , I'm left to figure you were trying to turn one of the two prominent splined shafts when you said you couldn't turn the "pump shaft" . Now that we've got that straight , the bigger outer spline had best not turn since it's bolted solidly to the pump body and the inner spline (the actual input shaft) had best be able to turn else something is bound up in the transmission's inner workings .

I hope this made the operation of the pump clear ......
Old 01-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

I'm glad to have helped . If you ever need to see any of the other internal parts of our transmission I have a sticky thread at the top of the transmission page where I took a 700R4 down to "parade rest" and photographed each piece with a regular Bic lighter in each shot for size reference .
Old 01-18-2017, 12:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

but when I went to reinstall it, it would not line up.
Did you use a pump clamp to align the 2 1/2's of the pump when you re-assembled it ?? If you don't use a clamp it might LOOK - and even 'feel' - like the 2 parts are aligned, but if they are 'off' just the slightest bit it will cause a problem when re-installing the unit.

I re-built a 4L60E about a year ago and for some reason, that pump did not want to re-seat properly when I tried to put it in the tranny. I brought the pump to a tranny shop and asked them to clamp/bolt it together so I know that wasn't the problem - and it DID finally fall into place properly - but it still took many attempts before it slide into place.

I used the bolts to seat it the final 1/4".
Maybe nothing; but that sounds scary to me. I've re-set a few pumps in my day and once they are properly line-up,... they have always fallen right into place. I've never had to - and never would - use bolts to complete the seating of a tranny pump.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:24 PM

I used two really long hose clamps to center both pump halves together. When I put the pump in it lined up great. It was just slightly snug once it got to the rubber seal. I didn't have to crank it really hard at all.

What was was stopping the pump from lining up initially was that the drum(I'm sure I'm using wrong terminology) was cocked to one side. This was caused by the steel band around it. It wansnt sitting properly in the case. Once I wiggled it slightly in centered.